PickledEggs
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,

Apologies if this has already been covered but I couldn't see my specific question in any of the threads I checked.

I applied for 'HMRC compliance caseworker - officer' in Newcastle. Closing date was early June and I had an interview at the start of July.

I got an email on 28th July to say I had been successful at interview and would be but on the reserve list for up to 12 months while appointments were made in merit order and was asked to send ID documents in.

I asked what position I was on the reserve list and I'm 74 of 224. (I was told that was the reserve list just for Newcastle vacancies but I think that must be wrong and it must be the list for all sites surely?)

I wasn't too optimistic because being so low on the list didn't give me much hope of being appointed any time soon or even at all.

I got sent another email today (6th August) with a provisional employment offer and instructions to do pre-employment checks and DBS.

Does the conditional job offer mean I have a chance of getting appointed in the next few months? Or do they give everyone on the reserve list an offer and get them to do pre-employment checks?

Should I keep my optimism on hold for now?

Thanks!
Aysha98x
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You’re no longer on the reserve list if you have a conditional offer. You’ve been offered a postition.
I would ask them when they aim to keep the start dates. Your conditional offer will turn into formal once your DBS and employment checks are complete and satisfactory. Sometimes you may have to wait a little longer even though all your checks are complete.
It would be best to ask them about start dates.
(Original post by PickledEggs)
Hi,

Apologies if this has already been covered but I couldn't see my specific question in any of the threads I checked.

I applied for 'HMRC compliance caseworker - officer' in Newcastle. Closing date was early June and I had an interview at the start of July.

I got an email on 28th July to say I had been successful at interview and would be but on the reserve list for up to 12 months while appointments were made in merit order and was asked to send ID documents in.

I asked what position I was on the reserve list and I'm 74 of 224. (I was told that was the reserve list just for Newcastle vacancies but I think that must be wrong and it must be the list for all sites surely?)

I wasn't too optimistic because being so low on the list didn't give me much hope of being appointed any time soon or even at all.

I got sent another email today (6th August) with a provisional employment offer and instructions to do pre-employment checks and DBS.

Does the conditional job offer mean I have a chance of getting appointed in the next few months? Or do they give everyone on the reserve list an offer and get them to do pre-employment checks?

Thanks!
PickledEggs
Rep:
?
(Original post by Aysha98x)
You’re no longer on the reserve list if you have a conditional offer. You’ve been offered a postition.
I would ask them when they aim to keep the start dates. Your conditional offer will turn into formal once your DBS and employment checks are complete and satisfactory. Sometimes you may have to wait a little longer even though all your checks are complete.
It would be best to ask them about start dates.
Ah that's great news! Thanks for responding.

I am currently furloughed so in no massive hurry but it's good to know I will likely actually get to start the job at some point. I wasn't very hopeful given how long the reserve list is.

I'll wait for the pre-employment checks and then ask if they have any start dates lined up.
iasip
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi,

Thanks!
Hi PickledEggs. I applied and interviewed for the same role, however I applied when it was first advertised around march time. My timeline was as follows:
Applied - 10-03-2020
Interview - 10--06-2020
Informed 'Successful at interview' - 24-06-2020
Conditional Offer - 09-07-2020
Pre-employment checks completed - 21-07-2020
Formal offer - 22-07-2020
Start date - 24-08-2020

I just wanted to expand on how long the process took for me! It didn't actually take that long compared to other people who have posted on this forum. It also seems that (judging from other threads) Newcastle is quite fast at processing applicants at the moment.

When I received my conditional offer I was just as sceptical as you are, however I kept thinking why would they process checks and DBS (going to cost them £££) if they were not planning on employing me!

In terms of start date it worked out at about 1 month after checks had finished which seemed standard considering most people have to give a 1 moth notice to their current employer.

I know that it can be frustrating waiting between offers and pre-employment checks, I was pulling my hair out checking emails and civil service job portal every day. But it sounds like you are on the right tracks and should have a start date soon!
Last edited by iasip; 1 month ago
PickledEggs
Rep:
?
(Original post by iasip)
Hi PickledEggs. I applied and interviewed for the same role, however I applied when it was first advertised around march time. My timeline was as follows:
Applied - 10-03-2020
Interview - 10--06-2020
Informed 'Successful at interview' - 24-06-2020
Conditional Offer - 09-07-2020
Pre-employment checks completed - 21-07-2020
Formal offer - 22-07-2020
Start date - 24-08-2020

I just wanted to expand on how long the process took for me! It didn't actually take that long compared to other people who have posted on this forum. It also seems that (judging from other threads) Newcastle is quite fast at processing applicants at the moment.

When I received my conditional offer I was just as sceptical as you are, however I kept thinking why would they process checks and DBS (going to cost them £££) if they were not planning on employing me!

In terms of start date it worked out at about 1 month after checks had finished which seemed standard considering most people have to give a 1 moth notice to their current employer.

I know that it can be frustrating waiting between offers and pre-employment checks, I was pulling my hair out checking emails and civil service job portal every day. But it sounds like you are on the right tracks and should have a start date soon!
That does seem quick by civil service standards! Congratulations on getting your start date and good luck! Will you be working from home to start with?

I don't mind a few months wait. I just wasn't sure if the conditional offer was something everyone on the reserve list got. Being so low on the list I was convinced I wasn't going to get a position but I suppose a list of 224 must be for all the sites and they were recruiting for a few.

I thought I had done dreadfully at interview so almost fell out of my chair when I got the email saying my application was successful!
iasip
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
That does seem quick by civil service standards! Congratulations on getting your start date and good luck! Will you be working from home to start with?

I don't mind a few months wait. I just wasn't sure if the conditional offer was something everyone on the reserve list got. Being so low on the list I was convinced I wasn't going to get a position but I suppose a list of 224 must be for all the sites and they were recruiting for a few.

I thought I had done dreadfully at interview so almost fell out of my chair when I got the email saying my application was successful!
Yeah it's working from home for the foreseeable, will find out more about if and when it will become office based once I start.

As far as i'm aware reserve lists are set up for each location (could be wrong on this one though!) Definitely weird that you got put on the reserve list and then given a provisional offer within a few weeks! But very good that you have the offer

I wasn't too great at interview either, scored lower than other people I've spoke to on here but still got through. Everyone always over thinks interviews and how well they went I guess!

Hopefully your checks get completed quickly!
Chloe20w
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi,

Thanks!
Hi. I’m just wondering if you’d be able to help at all. I applied for the HMRC Customer Service Advisor role in Manchester on 03/05/2020 and had the interview on 22/06/2020. I then got an email on 17/07/2020 asking me to send copies of my ID over in PDF format.

I was wondering if they emailed you for this too? I haven’t had an email to say I have been successful tho so I’m confused why they would ask for my ID?

Thanks
PickledEggs
Rep:
?
(Original post by Chloe20w)
Hi. I’m just wondering if you’d be able to help at all. I applied for the HMRC Customer Service Advisor role in Manchester on 03/05/2020 and had the interview on 22/06/2020. I then got an email on 17/07/2020 asking me to send copies of my ID over in PDF format.

I was wondering if they emailed you for this too? I haven’t had an email to say I have been successful tho so I’m confused why they would ask for my ID?

Thanks
I was asked to email ID over but it was in the same email that told me I had been successful and was going onto reserve list.

What does your application status say when you log in?

Mine had changed from 'interview slot booked' to 'application in reserve'.
Chloe20w
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I was asked to email ID over but it was in the same email that told me I had been successful and was going onto reserve list.

What does your application status say when you log in?

Mine had changed from 'interview slot booked' to 'application in reserve'.
Thank you for replying. This is so stressful! The email said this below:

Dear Candidate,

You recently undertook a video interview for a Customer Service Adviser role with HMRC. During the application process you were advised that you would be required to supply a PDF copy of the ID documents you displayed prior to your interview.

Would you please email your documentation in PDF format to...

So it didn’t say I had been successful, would you assume I haven’t been successful? On the application status it still says ‘application update’ that’s all it’s said the whole time since applying!

I checked yesterday and it had only just been updated with my interview score. Can I ask what score you got?

Would you just assume I haven’t got the job? I’m so confused as to why they asked for my ID tho.

Thanks
PickledEggs
Rep:
?
Thank you for replying. This is so stressful! The email said this below:

Dear Candidate,

You recently undertook a video interview for a Customer Service Adviser role with HMRC. During the application process you were advised that you would be required to supply a PDF copy of the ID documents you displayed prior to your interview.

Would you please email your documentation in PDF format to...

So it didn’t say I had been successful, would you assume I haven’t been successful? On the application status it still says ‘application update’ that’s all it’s said the whole time since applying!

I checked yesterday and it had only just been updated with my interview score. Can I ask what score you got?

Would you just assume I haven’t got the job? I’m so confused as to why they asked for my ID tho.

Thanks
I scored 26 overall.

I would email them and ask for an update. They were really helpful and replied straight away when I emailed them.

Fingers crossed it is good news for you.
Last edited by PickledEggs; 1 month ago
Chloe20w
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I scored 25 overall.

I would email them and ask for an update. They were really helpful and replied straight away when I emailed them.

Fingers crossed it is good news for you.
Which email address did you use? I will send them an email. Thank you
PickledEggs
Rep:
?
Which email address did you use? I will send them an email. Thank you
I used an email address that was provided in a previous email that they said to use if you had any questions. It was specific to the role I'd applied for.

You could try using the email address provided for you to email your ID docs and they could probably forward it on if needs be.
PickledEggs
Rep:
?
(Original post by iasip)
Yeah it's working from home for the foreseeable, will find out more about if and when it will become office based once I start.

As far as i'm aware reserve lists are set up for each location (could be wrong on this one though!) Definitely weird that you got put on the reserve list and then given a provisional offer within a few weeks! But very good that you have the offer

I wasn't too great at interview either, scored lower than other people I've spoke to on here but still got through. Everyone always over thinks interviews and how well they went I guess!

Hopefully your checks get completed quickly!
My checks have completed today. Woohoo! Super speedy!
Chloe20w
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My checks have completed today. Woohoo! Super speedy!
That’s great news!

I got my conditional offer yesterday, so does it take around 1 week for the checks to complete?
PickledEggs
Rep:
?
That’s great news!

I got my conditional offer yesterday, so does it take around 1 week for the checks to complete?
Yay, you got the job! Congratulations!

Just under a week for mine and I think iasip 's took a little over a week so it seems to be going quite quickly at the moment.
iasip
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yay, you got the job! Congratulations!

Just under a week for mine and I think iasip 's took a little over a week so it seems to be going quite quickly at the moment.
Well done! and well done Chloe20w!

Definitely seems to be speedy at the moment, feels like it takes forever though when you're waiting for something as important a s a job doesn't it!
PickledEggs
Rep:
?
(Original post by iasip)
Well done! and well done Chloe20w!

Definitely seems to be speedy at the moment, feels like it takes forever though when you're waiting for something as important a s a job doesn't it!
It's been pretty good so far actually.

I was so convinced that I had failed the interview that I wasn't even waiting for the result and had sort of forgotten about it.

Now though I am refreshing my email every 10 mins desperately waiting for my formal offer and start date.
Meran1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi Guys,Just wondering how if anyone applied for the same role I did. Compliance caseworker I had an interview on the 30th July 20 and just wanted to see if anyone had heard anything back in regards to the role.On the portal it still showing my interview slot and no other information at the moment.This was for the Manchester office.
PickledEggs
Rep:
?
(Original post by Meran1)
Hi Guys,Just wondering how if anyone applied for the same role I did. Compliance caseworker I had an interview on the 30th July 20 and just wanted to see if anyone had heard anything back in regards to the role.On the portal it still showing my interview slot and no other information at the moment.This was for the Manchester office.
I applied for Compliance Caseworker for Newcastle. Interview was 4th July and I was told I was successful on 28th July and got a conditional offer on 6th August. I am now just waiting to find out my start date.

I hope you get some good news soon.
zapper315
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I applied for Compliance Caseworker for Newcastle. Interview was 4th July and I was told I was successful on 28th July and got a conditional offer on 6th August. I am now just waiting to find out my start date.

I hope you get some good news soon.
Hi!
Ive applied for the Customer Service Consultant for HMRC at Bradford/Leeds. On Multiple occasions ive been asked to provide ID documents and last friday i had to send them again. But i only sent them my passport as i currently am in the process of making a bank account and i havent got my provisional licence yet due to COVID. They provided some of my family members with conditional offers and i was placed on the reserve lost even though i got 18/21 in my interview. Do you think they placed me on the reserve list coz i havent got the right ID docs? They are still emailing me to send my ID and i will email them with it next week when i make my bank account.
Really wanted this job!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university communicated any last minute changes?

Yes, and they were what I was expecting (6)
12.77%
Yes, and they were not what I was hoping for (13)
27.66%
Yes, and they don't change my view on attending uni (3)
6.38%
No, I haven't received any communication (25)
53.19%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed