monsoons
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I want to resit A Level Maths next year but my school won't let me. What are the best alternatives in regards to resitting this subject? Should I do it with another college, and if so how would that work? Can I just study at home and show up on exams day?

Or should I resit exams with retake courses online? Are they reliable? How do they work?
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There is a much misunderstood difference between re-sitting and retaking - retaking means you study the course again and resitting means you just turn up to take the exams (having presumably studied by yourself/got a tutor etc). State schools and colleges don't get any funding for students retaking so are unlikely to allow them to do so.

If you're not enrolled as a school/college then you'll need to find somewhere to accept you as a private candidate where you pay them and they just provdie you with exam facilities. Even if your current place won't let you retake they might let you re-sit and it's likely to be the cheapest option if they will.
fuhnance
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
the individual exam boards often have a list of centres you can sit the exams at as a private candidate. with regards to teaching yourself it depends on how comfortable you are with the subject. Theres loads of free resources online. and yes you'd just turn up for the exam
monsoons
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Compost)
There is a much misunderstood difference between re-sitting and retaking - retaking means you study the course again and resitting means you just turn up to take the exams (having presumably studied by yourself/got a tutor etc). State schools and colleges don't get any funding for students retaking so are unlikely to allow them to do so.

If you're not enrolled as a school/college then you'll need to find somewhere to accept you as a private candidate where you pay them and they just provdie you with exam facilities. Even if your current place won't let you retake they might let you re-sit and it's likely to be the cheapest option if they will.
Thanks for your reply! And sorry, I meant to say resit, not retake. Do you know of any colleges in London that I can do resit exams with come summer?
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by monsoons)
Thanks for your reply! And sorry, I meant to say resit, not retake. Do you know of any colleges in London that I can do resit exams with come summer?
If you search on here you'll find a few and also look on the exam board websites for suggestions (though the lists aren't very reliable)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university communicated any last minute changes?

Yes, and they were what I was expecting (9)
17.31%
Yes, and they were not what I was hoping for (14)
26.92%
Yes, and they don't change my view on attending uni (3)
5.77%
No, I haven't received any communication (26)
50%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise