The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

What is it like to study at St Andrews?

Any students who go/have been there, is it some weird elitist bubble or are people friendly?!

Also what is it like having to share rooms (for most people)
I would also like to know this please! :h:
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by Anonymous

Any students who go/have been there, is it some weird elitist bubble or are people friendly?!

Original post by lozzie4476
I would also like to know this please! :h:

Hi there! I'm studying at St A's and just going into my 2nd year. I also shared a room last year so I'll try and give a brief insight to that as well :smile:

St A's definitely has a reputation for being snobby but in my experience, it hasn't been anything like people made it out to be. I think a lot of it stems from the fact that it's student population is very international (and international students are typically quite well-off). The fact that Prince William and Kate Middleton went there has also gone a long way in creating the impression that it's a very posh place but really, it's not. It's more 'prestigious' than anything else. I was worried about the exact same thing (and having a read of other threads on here, it's not an uncommon thing) but don't worry! If you end up coming to St A's - or wherever you decide on going to uni - you will definitely be able to find your people. One of the best things about St A's is the fact that it's so international, so you end up crossing paths with so many people, often from different backgrounds, who you'd otherwise never have met.

It's funny you use the word bubble as well. St A's is actually known as 'the bubble' to students because, well, it really is one :biggrin: But in a good way! It's a very safe and friendly place to study. In terms of friendliness, I found most people (especially in freshers' week and beyond when everyone is desperate to make a few friends) really nice! Because the town is quite small, you tend to find yourself bumping into people on your way to lectures, tutorials or back to your accommodation so people become familiar pretty quickly. What I've also found as well is that the vast majority of people who go to St A's seem to really care about the subject they study (which is sort of a prerequisite now I think about it, you have to to get in!) which is really refreshing. It makes a real difference from school for sure.

On the roommate thing: I had a mixed experience. I signed up for a shared room thinking I would end up in the halls in town (think St Salvators or Mackintosh) and I ended up in DRA which is the accommodation furthest away from town. So, that's something to consider. It's also only slightly cheaper price wise. I know people who had a great experience with their roommate who ended up becoming really good friends but sometimes you just don't gel which is okay! If I could go back, I'd definitely have chosen a single room because I realise now how much I value my own space to switch off - but that's just me. St A's is odd in that it even has shared rooms, but if you want the experience I'd say go for it! They do try to match you up with a short quiz while you're filling in your accommodation form (like what time you wake up/go to sleep, hobbies etc) but if you do decide to have a roommate, I'd definitely advise setting some kind of ground rules with them from the off so you're on the same page :smile:

Hope this helps, I'm happy to answer any more questions! :h:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous

Some of tthe St Andrews students THINK they are at prestigious institution for the elite and privileged. The reality is that St Andrews is academically miles behind the likes of Edinburgh, and also behind Glasgow, in the pecking order. The place is dull and boring, with little to do, and is like a playground for the rich who wanted Oxbridge but couldn't get in. I would look at Edinburgh and Glasgow over St Andrews, but I would agree with the statement that St Andrews is a very good university and is highly respected by employers in its own right.
Original post by StarLinyx
Some of tthe St Andrews students THINK they are at prestigious institution for the elite and privileged. The reality is that St Andrews is academically miles behind the likes of Edinburgh, and also behind Glasgow, in the pecking order. The place is dull and boring, with little to do, and is like a playground for the rich who wanted Oxbridge but couldn't get in. I would look at Edinburgh and Glasgow over St Andrews, but I would agree with the statement that St Andrews is a very good university and is highly respected by employers in its own right.

St Andrews is far from ‘academically miles behind’ other Scottish unis - there’s a reason it consistently comes out on top in the rankings both in Scotland and in the UK. Last year it jumped from no.3 in the UK to no.2, just behind Cambridge and in front of Oxford. I agree it has issues with the image it presents and it’s true that many people who don’t get into Oxbridge choose it as their second choice - but the same can be said for Durham and Edinburgh, both of which struggle with the same kind of issues St A’s does! And as someone who actually goes there, it’s definitely not a boring place to be - your uni experience wherever you end up going is what you make of it. A small town doesn’t necessarily have to be dull!

You didn't get in, did you, pal?

I've noticed you making other disparaging posts about St Andrews on here... UCAS-related chip on shoulder perhaps?
Original post by ellie1964
Hi there! I'm studying at St A's and just going into my 2nd year. I also shared a room last year so I'll try and give a brief insight to that as well :smile:

St A's definitely has a reputation for being snobby but in my experience, it hasn't been anything like people made it out to be. I think a lot of it stems from the fact that it's student population is very international (and international students are typically quite well-off). The fact that Prince William and Kate Middleton went there has also gone a long way in creating the impression that it's a very posh place but really, it's not. It's more 'prestigious' than anything else. I was worried about the exact same thing (and having a read of other threads on here, it's not an uncommon thing) but don't worry! If you end up coming to St A's - or wherever you decide on going to uni - you will definitely be able to find your people. One of the best things about St A's is the fact that it's so international, so you end up crossing paths with so many people, often from different backgrounds, who you'd otherwise never have met.

It's funny you use the word bubble as well. St A's is actually known as 'the bubble' to students because, well, it really is one :biggrin: But in a good way! It's a very safe and friendly place to study. In terms of friendliness, I found most people (especially in freshers' week and beyond when everyone is desperate to make a few friends) really nice! Because the town is quite small, you tend to find yourself bumping into people on your way to lectures, tutorials or back to your accommodation so people become familiar pretty quickly. What I've also found as well is that the vast majority of people who go to St A's seem to really care about the subject they study (which is sort of a prerequisite now I think about it, you have to to get in!) which is really refreshing. It makes a real difference from school for sure.

On the roommate thing: I had a mixed experience. I signed up for a shared room thinking I would end up in the halls in town (think St Salvators or Mackintosh) and I ended up in DRA which is the accommodation furthest away from town. So, that's something to consider. It's also only slightly cheaper price wise. I know people who had a great experience with their roommate who ended up becoming really good friends but sometimes you just don't gel which is okay! If I could go back, I'd definitely have chosen a single room because I realise now how much I value my own space to switch off - but that's just me. St A's is odd in that it even has shared rooms, but if you want the experience I'd say go for it! They do try to match you up with a short quiz while you're filling in your accommodation form (like what time you wake up/go to sleep, hobbies etc) but if you do decide to have a roommate, I'd definitely advise setting some kind of ground rules with them from the off so you're on the same page :smile:

Thank you, this is really helpful :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by ellie1964

Thank you! A great help
Reply 9

We all know you got rejected from St Andrews.

You seem to intentionally search up ‘St Andrews’ in the search bar just so you can make false disparaging comments about St Andrews.

Get a proper life pal. Stick with your day job.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending