How can I get rid of my fear

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I'm posting this using anon for privacy reasons.
For reference I'm a 15 year old girl
Basically, I have a fear of being kidnapped. I know the tiny chances of it happening in the daytime - especially where I live but no matter how much I tell myself this it dosent make me feel better. It's gotten a bit better since I've started to force myself to walk around my village and stuff more - you heard that right, I'm terrified to walk around parts of my village by myself in broad daylight with people around and a very, very low crime rate. I've never experienced or been a victim of a kidnapping or attempted kidnapping, I haven't been triggered by anything I've seen on TV or read etc. I've been like this for ages. I can't go out without being on edge all the time and if someone leaves me alone in the car or at a table in a cafe while they go shopping or go to the toilet I start to breakdown with anxiety and panic. Walking around the streets is a constant anxiety fest where I keep looking around checking to see if anyones around and walking as fast as I can to get home faster. Honestly people my age walk around alone at 10pm and later like its no big deal while I'm scared of walking anywhere alone in the middle of the day. I don't think I can go to conventional therapy - it would take too long to explain but I don't think its an option. I just want to feel normal, its gotten better as I get older (maybe because I feel safer because I'm 15 rather than say, 13) but I hate feeling like this. Anxiety meds aren't an option either due to other long story reasons and I think I'd rather get to the route cause. When I'm walking with my friends I feel ok but I'm still jumpy and on edge. When I'm with adult members of my family I'm perfectly fine. I half want to just get it out because my parents don't understand properly how I feel and I half wanted to ask advice to see if anyone has any advice on how to feel better or anything.
Vexper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I think it's time to speak to your GP. A fear of being kidnapped that is debilitating in your day to day life and affects largely ordinary tasks very much warrants a trip to see them. I don't think you will get to the cause of this without formal input as it's not a 'usual' fear that someone would conciously have on their mind and as such advice you get in this regard may be limited. There may be something a lot more at work.
Last edited by Vexper; 5 months ago
Teigan182
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hello, the past year or so I started struggling with panic disorder with agoraphobia due to personal reasons. I stopped leaving the house altogether for the year and the one thing that's really helped me is medication and CBT. CBT is perfect for phobic work and has helped me so so much and has given me so much of my life back. Please, please reach out for help, talk to your doctor, they can help. Feel free to message me, i hope you feel better soon x
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Why is therapy not an option? It could really help you work through your fear.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (37)
17.45%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (62)
29.25%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (82)
38.68%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (26)
12.26%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
2.36%

Watched Threads