The Student Room Group

How soon is too soon to call?

I applied for a job this Wednesday and I’ve been on the job hunt for a while. Before I used to wait to hear back and sometimes I did in about 2 weeks or so. I then started calling places up for updates after 7-10 days and sometimes it got me an interview, but most times they say they’ve already filled the position. I’m in desperate need of a job (as most people are now I guess) and so I don’t want to wait 7-10 days to call only for the position to be filled. I got my app in very early, it was literally posted that morning I applied a few hours later because I had to go out shopping and those queues are very long. Anyway, would 3-5 days be too early? Like if I called up on Saturday (not at a busy time) and asked if they received it etc would that seem too early and pestery? Thanks :smile:
Reply 1
Certainly don't get in touch before the closing date, don't rush to contact them after that as they will still be processing, and follow any instructions given on the job advert; it's fairly standard to say "if you have not had a response in x days then your application has not been successful."
Original post by Surnia
Certainly don't get in touch before the closing date, don't rush to contact them after that as they will still be processing, and follow any instructions given on the job advert; it's fairly standard to say "if you have not had a response in x days then your application has not been successful."

They didn’t put anything like that in the job ad. That’s why I’m confused, the closing date is the 16th but I’ve called places up before the closing date and gotten interviews before, I’m just wondering if 3-5 days is too soon compared to a week etc. There were no instructions on the job ad at all, just the job description, that’s all.
Assuming Wednesday means YESTERDAY not last Wednesday, I'd wait a few days. I was ALWAYS eager and called a week later, and I wouldn't suggest you call before that. Two weeks is considered standard, but I always went earlier out of fear that they'd fill in the position already.
Original post by Euphoria101
Assuming Wednesday means YESTERDAY not last Wednesday, I'd wait a few days. I was ALWAYS eager and called a week later, and I wouldn't suggest you call before that. Two weeks is considered standard, but I always went earlier out of fear that they'd fill in the position already.

Yeah Wednesday as in yesterday, I wouldn’t call now as thats ridiculously early but yeah, I usually either get interviews after about 2 weeks or don’t hear back so I call and they say they’ve filled it already. This is a fast food job and they fill positions fast I’ve noticed, so I’m worried my application will just get lost in a sea of hundreds (last job I applied for had 700 people apply) if I wait until the closing date, so I want to just give them a little nudge. At least if they look at my app and don’t want me, I’ll know sooner. I guess I’ll wait a week since that seems a good enough amount of time, thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending