TSR Drummers: I got some drums.....now what?

Watch
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I got a drum kit and after putting it together, I just kind of sat there like now what.

So I ask you TSR drummers: "now what"?

I had some fun hitting the drums, playing with the different sounds etc. Then I tried learning the "money beat" which I failed at, but will go home from work today and try some more. When you first got drums what did you do? Anyone recommend some good websites or other resources? I've been watching videos on youtube a fair bit. I'm thinking of getting online lessons - anyone else done that? Got recommendations?

Thanks!
5hyl33n
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I thought this was a troll thread before I clicked on it. :lol:
Racsoix
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi! Been playing drums for about 5 years now and have been having private tuition for nearly 3 of them I'd say so I'm probably qualified to give a few pointers. Out of curiosity, do you have an electronic or acoustic kit?

In terms of where to start out, I think it depends on what you want to achieve. If you're serious about technique or want to work towards grades then I'd recommend finding someone locally to tutor you. Definitely helps to build up with basic rudiments and proper form from someone who has experience. It will help to form good habits and technique. Alternatively, if you just want to play and have fun then Youtube seems like a fine way to go about it- I know 'Drumeo' are quite a popular channel who showcase both beginner/intermediate/advanced beats/fills/exercises etc. so you might want to check them out. See if you can break down some basic beats/exercises; once you can play confidently in 4/4 you can pretty much play to any pop/rock song you can think of (of course there are exceptions).

Reading sheet music is actually quite simple for drums, although with that said different people notate things differently (e.g. cross sticks may be shown differently depending on who notated it... but don't worry about that!). It's definitely worth getting to grips with so you can follow various exercises online or drumming books, if you so choose. Just a quick google search should do it.

In terms of grades, some people enjoy them and some think they're a waste of time. Check Trinity and Rockschool (those are the two I can think of). I was forced into doing them but it does give some incentive to learn and progress I suppose. I have copies of all the Rockschool pieces too if you're interested!

I suppose really it's just getting the foundations down with your rudiments and continuing to practice them regularly whilst also jamming out to whatever you want to jam out too. I wouldn't say there's any strict 'progression' that you have to follow- these days I just play to whatever songs I feel are fun. There are probably some things I'm forgetting but feel free to PM me if you have any questions/want to chat drums because I'm always up for it
Sabertooth
Rep:
?
(Original post by Racsoix)
Hi! Been playing drums for about 5 years now and have been having private tuition for nearly 3 of them I'd say so I'm probably qualified to give a few pointers. Out of curiosity, do you have an electronic or acoustic kit?

In terms of where to start out, I think it depends on what you want to achieve. If you're serious about technique or want to work towards grades then I'd recommend finding someone locally to tutor you. Definitely helps to build up with basic rudiments and proper form from someone who has experience. It will help to form good habits and technique. Alternatively, if you just want to play and have fun then Youtube seems like a fine way to go about it- I know 'Drumeo' are quite a popular channel who showcase both beginner/intermediate/advanced beats/fills/exercises etc. so you might want to check them out. See if you can break down some basic beats/exercises; once you can play confidently in 4/4 you can pretty much play to any pop/rock song you can think of (of course there are exceptions).

Reading sheet music is actually quite simple for drums, although with that said different people notate things differently (e.g. cross sticks may be shown differently depending on who notated it... but don't worry about that!). It's definitely worth getting to grips with so you can follow various exercises online or drumming books, if you so choose. Just a quick google search should do it.

In terms of grades, some people enjoy them and some think they're a waste of time. Check Trinity and Rockschool (those are the two I can think of). I was forced into doing them but it does give some incentive to learn and progress I suppose. I have copies of all the Rockschool pieces too if you're interested!

I suppose really it's just getting the foundations down with your rudiments and continuing to practice them regularly whilst also jamming out to whatever you want to jam out too. I wouldn't say there's any strict 'progression' that you have to follow- these days I just play to whatever songs I feel are fun. There are probably some things I'm forgetting but feel free to PM me if you have any questions/want to chat drums because I'm always up for it
Thank you for your reply!

It's an electronic kit. When you said you've been having tuition for 3 of the 5 years was that the first 3 years or the last 3?

I just want to be able to play along to songs I enjoy (mostly rock/punk). I hadn't really thought about doing the grades, now I think about it it's not really something that interests me.

I will check out Drumeo, I hadn't actually seen any of their videos on youtube. but thanks. How long did it take you before you could do a basic beat (the money beat is apparently the first people should learn and is used in a lot of songs)? I actually feel like there might be something wrong with me that I couldn't get it right yesterday - drums got delivered late, by the time I had set them up it was bedtime so I only really got 40 minutes or so in, but I feel like I should have been able to do that beat by the end of 40 minutes - or am I expecting too much?

See, I would love to do that - just sit down and play whatever seems fun.
Racsoix
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Sabertooth)
Thank you for your reply!

It's an electronic kit. When you said you've been having tuition for 3 of the 5 years was that the first 3 years or the last 3?

I just want to be able to play along to songs I enjoy (mostly rock/punk). I hadn't really thought about doing the grades, now I think about it it's not really something that interests me.

I will check out Drumeo, I hadn't actually seen any of their videos on youtube. but thanks. How long did it take you before you could do a basic beat (the money beat is apparently the first people should learn and is used in a lot of songs)? I actually feel like there might be something wrong with me that I couldn't get it right yesterday - drums got delivered late, by the time I had set them up it was bedtime so I only really got 40 minutes or so in, but I feel like I should have been able to do that beat by the end of 40 minutes - or am I expecting too much?

See, I would love to do that - just sit down and play whatever seems fun.
Last 3 years (ish) as I still have lessons weekly. To be honest there was a time I didn't play for about 6 months or so though so in actuality I've probably been playing closer to 4 years. Anyway, yes I know what you mean about grades. I personally am not a fan of them and don't really think music needs to be 'graded' but some people enjoy them so whatever floats your boat I guess.

I suppose it takes different people varying amounts of time. I don't remember how long it took me to play a basic beat but definitely don't be disheartened if it doesn't come naturally. Another tip I would give is try to practice with a metronome (very important to keep time as a drummer... as you'd imagine!). Set it at low as you need it (60-70bpm should be enough for now) and try to build up gradually. Try to start with just your hi-hat for example, then think about your bass, then snare (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRDpaMrdVSc). I just saw this, although there are many online that you can find- keep trying until you get it! Don't worry if you can't keep playing for long, just keep trying and gradually speed up as you feel comfortable. Vast majority or rock/punk you'll be able to play with a variation of this same beat.

I would also advise getting used to 'playing by ear'. Drum notation isn't really as needed as, say, guitar tabs, because generally you can work out the gist of what's going on in a song by listening. Feel free to be creative though and don't feel constrained to playing things exactly as they're recorded- just have fun! If you ever want a few pointers video-wise then I'm sure I can record a couple of bits for you at some point as well. Let me know how you get on.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
LEARN HOW NOT TO TAKE UP THE WHOLE DAMN STAGE! (I may be projecting a smidge )
Sabertooth
Rep:
?
Last 3 years (ish) as I still have lessons weekly. To be honest there was a time I didn't play for about 6 months or so though so in actuality I've probably been playing closer to 4 years. Anyway, yes I know what you mean about grades. I personally am not a fan of them and don't really think music needs to be 'graded' but some people enjoy them so whatever floats your boat I guess.

I suppose it takes different people varying amounts of time. I don't remember how long it took me to play a basic beat but definitely don't be disheartened if it doesn't come naturally. Another tip I would give is try to practice with a metronome (very important to keep time as a drummer... as you'd imagine!). Set it at low as you need it (60-70bpm should be enough for now) and try to build up gradually. Try to start with just your hi-hat for example, then think about your bass, then snare (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRDpaMrdVSc). I just saw this, although there are many online that you can find- keep trying until you get it! Don't worry if you can't keep playing for long, just keep trying and gradually speed up as you feel comfortable. Vast majority or rock/punk you'll be able to play with a variation of this same beat.

I would also advise getting used to 'playing by ear'. Drum notation isn't really as needed as, say, guitar tabs, because generally you can work out the gist of what's going on in a song by listening. Feel free to be creative though and don't feel constrained to playing things exactly as they're recorded- just have fun! If you ever want a few pointers video-wise then I'm sure I can record a couple of bits for you at some point as well. Let me know how you get on.
Wow, weekly lessons for 3 years? You must be really good! That's exactly it, it shouldn't need to be graded, just enjoyed!

Yeah, I had my metronome set to 40bpm yesterday and kept hitting the high hat a little too fast even without the bass or snare I actually watched that exact video yesterday! Just watched a couple of Drumeo ones. I like how easy the sheet music seems to be to read and it's really amazing how many things you can do with just high hat, snare and bass. But yeah, I have an hour left at work then gonna go home and keep trying until I get this beat mastered.

How long would you say it took you to learn to isolate the drums when listening to music? And do you play any other instruments? Like I play bass guitar and can listen to music and easily pick out the bass line, but when I'm trying to decipher the drums I just hear the bass [guitar]. But thank you for your recommendations and help. I'm super excited about getting home and practicing!
Sabertooth
Rep:
?
(Original post by StriderHort)
LEARN HOW NOT TO TAKE UP THE WHOLE DAMN STAGE! (I may be projecting a smidge )
Haha, well, I have an electronic kit so that shouldn't be as much as an issue.

Also I really really suck so won't be making it anywhere near a stage anytime soon!

(what do you play?)
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Also I really really suck so won't be making it anywhere near a stage anytime soon!

(what do you play?)
IME even kinda crappy drummers are in high demand for bands, not many of them...

I'm a Synth/Digital/Occasional Guitar guy. We use electronic drums mostly, and bring in a friend/session drummer when we want some extra firepower, but honestly tired of taking them places, costs a fortune in money,time and space.
HellomynameisNev
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I don't play drums, but I am a big Rival Sons fan. Their drummer Michael Miley has been doing a live show on Youtube every Thursday night where he answers questions about drumming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxCnUdfylmo
Racsoix
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Wow, weekly lessons for 3 years? You must be really good! That's exactly it, it shouldn't need to be graded, just enjoyed!

Yeah, I had my metronome set to 40bpm yesterday and kept hitting the high hat a little too fast even without the bass or snare I actually watched that exact video yesterday! Just watched a couple of Drumeo ones. I like how easy the sheet music seems to be to read and it's really amazing how many things you can do with just high hat, snare and bass. But yeah, I have an hour left at work then gonna go home and keep trying until I get this beat mastered.

How long would you say it took you to learn to isolate the drums when listening to music? And do you play any other instruments? Like I play bass guitar and can listen to music and easily pick out the bass line, but when I'm trying to decipher the drums I just hear the bass [guitar]. But thank you for your recommendations and help. I'm super excited about getting home and practicing!
Haha, I've been slacking recently so haven't been seeing improvements as much Also need some more live experience but... still enjoying playing which is the main thing!

Yeah don't worry about that, it takes a bit of getting used to! You'll build up muscle memory over time and your limbs will become independent. Easy sheet music is definitely a plus when learning exercises. Adding one drum voice at a time and building up definitely helps instead of trying to master everything at once. Just practice, practice practice! After that you can start to spice it up with rolls, ghost notes and flams (look them up on YT!) etc. Great thing about drums if you have a lot of creative freedom even when playing one beat; there's always something different you can do depending on the music! Good luck with getting that beat down.

Hmm, I tend to listen to the music as a whole but I probably do subconsciously pick up more drum bits than others would do just from having played for awhile. I don't really try to replicate what I hear exactly, rather I will interpret things my own way and might play them differently every time depending on how I'm feeling.

I do mess about with a few other instruments (guitar, bass, synths etc.) but I'd be lying if I said I could play them to any sort of standard. I can just about pluck along to some easy four-chord songs on bass! Like you say, it's easier for you as a bass player (how long have you been playing by the way?) to pick out bass lines whereas I would probably have to reply it quite a few times and use a lot of trial and error before finding it. Good thing about bass and drums is they both kind of 'link' though- that is to say they're both rhythm. If you play bass you've probably already got a good feel for groove and keeping time which is very useful!
Sabertooth
Rep:
?
Haha, I've been slacking recently so haven't been seeing improvements as much Also need some more live experience but... still enjoying playing which is the main thing!

Yeah don't worry about that, it takes a bit of getting used to! You'll build up muscle memory over time and your limbs will become independent. Easy sheet music is definitely a plus when learning exercises. Adding one drum voice at a time and building up definitely helps instead of trying to master everything at once. Just practice, practice practice! After that you can start to spice it up with rolls, ghost notes and flams (look them up on YT!) etc. Great thing about drums if you have a lot of creative freedom even when playing one beat; there's always something different you can do depending on the music! Good luck with getting that beat down.

Hmm, I tend to listen to the music as a whole but I probably do subconsciously pick up more drum bits than others would do just from having played for awhile. I don't really try to replicate what I hear exactly, rather I will interpret things my own way and might play them differently every time depending on how I'm feeling.

I do mess about with a few other instruments (guitar, bass, synths etc.) but I'd be lying if I said I could play them to any sort of standard. I can just about pluck along to some easy four-chord songs on bass! Like you say, it's easier for you as a bass player (how long have you been playing by the way?) to pick out bass lines whereas I would probably have to reply it quite a few times and use a lot of trial and error before finding it. Good thing about bass and drums is they both kind of 'link' though- that is to say they're both rhythm. If you play bass you've probably already got a good feel for groove and keeping time which is very useful!
Man, live experience is fun. I did battle of the bands when I was at school and it was awesome - was my only experience of playing in front of people but I still remember in so much detail. We played bombtrack by RATM and what's my age again by Blink 182. Haha such different songs but it was fun. Are you/were you ever in a band? I've been playing bass for about 17 years.

I got home yesterday and I nailed that money beat almost immediately - I think my brain needed time to process it or something overnight because I just sat down and boom it worked! Then I watched a couple of beginner beats videos by Drumeo that you mentioned and nailed those too. By the end of the night I was playing most of Weezer's sweater song although I'm still not perfect. but it was GREAT! Been picking at parts of other songs too. I've noticed that too yeah, with the creative freedom and interpreting it yourself - I watch people play covers on youtube and it sounds best when they mix stuff up a bit and add their own take rather than mechanically playing exactly what's on the cd. That's something I've never been great at on bass, I play what I hear.

I have found so far that if I look for drum covers on youtube I can hear the drums a lot better, otherwise I'm getting distracted by the bass. It needs to be really in my face for me to understand what I'm hearing, I'm hoping to get better at that. Interesting that you say you hear the whole when listening to music, I'd have thought you would hear the drums more predominantly.
Racsoix
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Man, live experience is fun. I did battle of the bands when I was at school and it was awesome - was my only experience of playing in front of people but I still remember in so much detail. We played bombtrack by RATM and what's my age again by Blink 182. Haha such different songs but it was fun. Are you/were you ever in a band? I've been playing bass for about 17 years.

I got home yesterday and I nailed that money beat almost immediately - I think my brain needed time to process it or something overnight because I just sat down and boom it worked! Then I watched a couple of beginner beats videos by Drumeo that you mentioned and nailed those too. By the end of the night I was playing most of Weezer's sweater song although I'm still not perfect. but it was GREAT! Been picking at parts of other songs too. I've noticed that too yeah, with the creative freedom and interpreting it yourself - I watch people play covers on youtube and it sounds best when they mix stuff up a bit and add their own take rather than mechanically playing exactly what's on the cd. That's something I've never been great at on bass, I play what I hear.

I have found so far that if I look for drum covers on youtube I can hear the drums a lot better, otherwise I'm getting distracted by the bass. It needs to be really in my face for me to understand what I'm hearing, I'm hoping to get better at that. Interesting that you say you hear the whole when listening to music, I'd have thought you would hear the drums more predominantly.
Sounds like a lot of fun man! I'd say I write more solo stuff at the moment but I do have mates over occasionally to jam (and lend their guitar-playing abilities! ). I'd like to get more into gigging but... unlikely considering what's happening now.

Congratulations! Yeah sometimes having time to internalise it does help. Come to think of it I've experienced that in the past and I'll sit down and just be able to play it. Often in lessons I'll need quite a few minutes to try to get it, then I come home and boom it's there. Also know what you mean about the covers... definitely like seeing people change things up and add their own slant on things. Some people do get a bit annoyed though if they think you're 'overplaying' though (I think there's someone on YT with quite a popular channel called Cooper Drummer who's excused quite often of this!) because some do prefer drummers who just 'play to the song' or play more minimally. I suppose it's all preference though... see what works for you!

I probably hear the piece more as a collective because recently I've been listening to a lot of jazz/fusion/funk stuff and there's often a lot going on... I want to take it all in! But certainly I do often focus on the drums and try to 'isolate' them too. Out of interest do you like stuff outside of rock/punk? I like a lot of rock/metal stuff but in the last few years I started to diversify a bit. My favourite stuff right now is a load of 70s Japanese fusion-y albums- check it out I think it's pretty fun! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIjnyH9obGI) (Recommend the whole album though!)
kekedoyouloveme?
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

(what do you play?)
Drums omg you could be the next Travis....

I've always wanted to play the drums.
Sabertooth
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I can play Enter Sandman by Metallica but Eye of the Tiger, which everyone seems to think is super easy, I cannot get the hang of at all. :facepalm:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year will take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (84)
31.46%
Less motivated (183)
68.54%

Watched Threads