The Student Room Group

Niece and nephew doing my head in, irritating beyond belief...maybe I’m the *******?

So my I’m laws from out of town came to stay with us for 3 nights. Husbands brother, sister in law and our 9 year old niece and 11 year old nephew.

I have a girl who’s just turned two and pregnant with twins. Background information, I love to have them all over, the parents are lovely and a great laugh and the kids are brilliant with our daughter. However, as always certain things were bugging the life out of me.

The children can Be extremely Whiney, especially at mealtimes. The first day at breakfast the mother asked if they would like eggs, sausage or both....only eggs they replied. The mother put the plates down and immediately the 11 year old boy genuinely burst into tears and screaming at his mum that he wanted sausage, so off she bolts through to the kitchen to get him sausage. She puts it down then he starts shrieking for her to cut up the sausage (he’s 11 years old for Christ sake) so she runs back through to do as she’s told.

Both children eat absolutely nothing as usual then straight afterwards manage to demolish a 2 cornettos, 2 family sized bags of haribos and pack of Jaffa cakes.....all before 8am.

I tell them not to feed it to my daughter as we try not to load her with sugar, especially first thing in the morning. They agree then I spot her with her mouth stuffed full with haribos.

We have a nice beach nearby and the children are whining and shouting at their mum that we should all go to the beach. Beautiful, warm day, why not!!

Both kids absolutely insist on wearing heavy jackets to get down there against our advice. 2 minutes into the walk they dump all the jackets and unnecessary crap onto their mum who looks like she could keel over at any second carrying everything for them.

I work in a community hall which has a bunkhouse, having to clean the bunkhouse as no staff to cover shifts. Sister in law offers to help as I’m carrying twins etc, perfect! Go to leave and the 9 year old girl is hysterically crying asking to come and help too. She gets there and whines the entire time that it’s boring and refuses to help even change a single pillow case.....her answer, no way, only poor people should do chores (what the flying ****)!

Comes home and makes children a cheese toastie (which they asked for) The boy starts screaming at me asking why there is no ketchup on his. I told him to get off his bum and get his own ketchup from the fridge. He just stared at me for like 10 seconds looking absolutely bewildered, obviously his parents have done every thing for them their entire lives.

I try to speak to the parents as
I’m not happy with the way he was screaming at me
And they just laugh and shrug it off saying kids will be kids???

Basically every single meal time is
An absolute joke, they whine for a specific food, the mother goes out of her way to cater to it. They eat like one mouthful then it’s straight to the cupboard for sweets/ ice cream/ biscuits/ muffins. They were handed one of the kilo bars of Cadbury’s straight before bed last night and the parents we’re
Wondering why they were awake all night. We were planning to have a nice night and watch a film together but of the kids dictate that cartoons be on during their every waking moment even though there are TVs round the house....has to be on where the whole family are together.

My husband and I have tried to speak to SIL and BIL so many times about it, not to be nasty but we are genuinely worried about the kids and their development.

Maybe I’m just being a complete ******* about it but they just do
My head in. My two year old who is mostly well behaved, cool wee kid has been sugared out her head the whole time and has been following them in their tantrums and hissy fits.

They are moving to a new school in a new area soon and genuinely wonder how they will cope. Every meal is cut up by their mum, Mum carries all their crap around, mum puts their shoes on, coats on and even has to go with them to the bathroom half the time as they say they are scared to go alone. They wake up shouting for her in the middle of the night.

Advice please 🤣🤣
They have been spoiled and god knows what they’re going to be like as teenagers. I would be very annoyed if they had given my children sweets when I had told them not to. You only have to cope for 3 nights and the way they parent isn’t really your business, but I wouldn’t be too quick to invite them over again. It seems like the parents have given in at every opportunity for an easy life, but they’re storing up a lot of problems for the future. Very lazy and thoughtless parenting.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Thanks! I don’t want to sound unreasonable and I am
Keeping my mouth shut to my husband as he was out at work most of the time! Yeah it’s hard, we live on an island on the west coast of Scotland and always have family overFor their holidays. I do love the children to bits, they genuinely have some really good qualities but I find the behaviour is getting worse with every single
Visit, feeling mentally drained now they’ve left. I agree, we should keep
Visits to a few times a year, just for my sanity!
I wouldn't allow them over except for a few hours max. Otherwise, I might end up saying or doing something I will regret for life.
they sound like spoilt idiots I'd just bite your tongue for 3 days

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending