Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
R68 - Fast Track Citizenship for Military Service

Ministerial Report: Home Office

Secretary of State: The Rt. Hon. Aph MP
British Nationality Act 1981 (Naturalisation Scheme) Order 2020
Mr Speaker, Her Majesty's Government gives notice that under the British Nationality Act 1981 as amended by the British Residency Act 2020, that the Home Office is to begin a scheme to grant citizenship to all foreign nationals who serve the armed forces. The Specifics of the scheme are as follows:

1. Eligibility

The following people are eligible:

• Persons who have served in Her Majesty's armed forces in a combat role for a period of three years or more.
  • Persons who have served in Her Majesty's armed forces in a combat role for a period of fewer than three years but greater than six months and were injured in the line of duty, causing them to be discharged.
  • Persons who have served Her Majesty's armed forces in non-combat roles for a period of three years or more, such as translators and covert agents.

2. Requirements

The Government will impose no greater restrictions than the law requires. That is to say, all people must be of good character and, in the case where service was less than three years, demonstrate sufficient knowledge of English, Welsh or Scottish Gaelic and of life in the UK.

This scheme will be open to all persons who are currently serving and who have previously served and can demonstrate that they meet the criteria.

People who make use of the exemption from English language requirements will be given English lessons, free of charge, upon taking Citizenship to allow them to better integrate into British society.

Notes
It is the contention of this government that those who serve Her Majesty in her armed forces, such as the Gurkhas and translators on the ground are undeniably British. Refusing them British citizenship is, therefore, an insult to them and their willingness to die to protect us. An insult that we will not stand for.

Further, for the sake of clarity, we anticipate that people who were dishonourably discharged should normally see themselves fall afoul of the requirement for good character. This will be case-specific however, as there may be some occasions when it is deemed that the reason for the discharge would not warrant disqualification of citizenship.

Last edited by CatusStarbright; 1 month ago
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Aph this formatting has been hell on earth. What I have is not identical to the original, but it is the best I can do. If you provide me with a proper code I can sort it out if you wish.

Edit: Sorted now, thanks.
Last edited by CatusStarbright; 1 month ago
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
And just as last time, fast tracked citizenship should be done on a case by case basis
Miss Maddie
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm unconvinced translators should be given instant citizenship. The 'such as' inclusion raises questions about who can apply for citizenship.
Theloniouss
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I, of course, support this
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I support this.

Are the English lessons intended for the (hypothetical) people who qualify with Welsh or Gaelic, or the people who have served for more than 3 years?
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Should they not be learning English before citizenship, one would also ask how effective a role they are able to play in the military without speaking English, unless this is also covering the cooks and such like
Miss Maddie
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
We paid the immigrants for their duty to serve us. We shouldn't be paying them again by providing them with free English lessons.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
I support this.

Are the English lessons intended for the (hypothetical) people who qualify with Welsh or Gaelic, or the people who have served for more than 3 years?
Both in theory. I guess if they could only speak Welsh and desired to live in North Wales where English isn't always needed then that might be fine. I can't imagine it would happen often if ever though.
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
Should they not be learning English before citizenship, one would also ask how effective a role they are able to play in the military without speaking English, unless this is also covering the cooks and such like
That's the point. Pretty much all of them will meet the English requirement anyway, this effectively stops the need to pay for a test to prove it and for the very small number who wouldn't pass anyway the language lessons are there.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Aph)
Both in theory. I guess if they could only speak Welsh and desired to live in North Wales where English isn't always needed then that might be fine. I can't imagine it would happen often if ever though.

That's the point. Pretty much all of them will meet the English requirement anyway, this effectively stops the need to pay for a test to prove it and for the very small number who wouldn't pass anyway the language lessons are there.
Oh no, having to pay a small amount to get citizenship which is being handed to them on a plate anyway, however could they cope!
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Aph)
I mean in reality it's pretty hard to function in modern-day Wales without English anywhere, but I was interested to hear what was intended.
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Naturally i a fully behind this.
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Miss Maddie)
We paid the immigrants for their duty to serve us. We shouldn't be paying them again by providing them with free English lessons.
I take it you also take the view that one a soldier has been discharged "**** em" as they've already received their salary irrespective of service?
Miss Maddie
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Napp)
I take it you also take the view that one a soldier has been discharged "**** em" as they've already received their salary irrespective of service?
If they are injured we should pay for their medical treatment and continued care, as we should translators. That's unrelated to teaching them English.
SnowMiku
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'd preferably ask for them to know English beforehand but I see no issue with this.
Bailey14
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I see no reason to oppose this. This Ministerial Report has my support.
El Salvador
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
These people risk their lives serving the UK. This is only right. And yes, even the interpreters - they get targeted for working for the UK.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Mr Speaker, i emphatically support this Ministerial Report.

Many of the people captured by this have demonstrated a willingness to fight in our service if not die in our service and for that they deserve the honour of being permitted to live in our great land.
El Salvador
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Teaching them English is as much as a benefit to them as it is to the UK. After all, we want immigrants who can live in Britain as a part of the society.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by El Salvador)
Teaching them English is as much as a benefit to them as it is to the UK. After all, we want immigrants who can live in Britain as a part of the society.
It being a benefit to the UK relies on the assumption their presence is beneficial in the first place.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (42)
13.82%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (45)
14.8%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (106)
34.87%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (29)
9.54%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (66)
21.71%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (16)
5.26%

Watched Threads