is the weak force responsible for keeping the quarks together? physics

Watch
vix.xvi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
in a video, the guy says that it is responsible, but everyone in the comments is saying that what he said was wrong, and he hasn't acknowledged it so im a bit confused?
thank you
m.s124
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by vix.xvi)
in a video, the guy says that it is responsible, but everyone in the comments is saying that what he said was wrong, and he hasn't acknowledged it so im a bit confused?
thank you
I learnt that it was the strong force
ry7xsfa
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The strong nuclear force is what holds nuclei together in atoms.

The weak nuclear force is responsible for decay
5hyl33n
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
thank you
The force that keeps the quarks together is the strong force (same as what keeps protons and neutrons in the atomic nucleus). When quarks interact with each other they exchange gluons that "glue" the quarks together.
RaA64
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It’s the strong force.
Also to note, if you get mixed up with the exchange particles being pions and gluons, pions are the exchnage particles for the strong interaction between the actual particles, but you use the word gluons if talking about quarks and the strong interaction
m.s124
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by RaA64)
It’s the strong force.
Also to note, if you get mixed up with the exchange particles being pions and gluons, pions are the exchnage particles for the strong interaction between the actual particles, but you use the word gluons if talking about quarks and the strong interaction
Wait so for the strong interaction...
pions are the exchange particles for particles
and gluons are exchange particles for quarks?
RaA64
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by m.s124)
Wait so for the strong interaction...
pions are the exchange particles for particles
and gluons are exchange particles for quarks?
Yes, so if talking about between particles you use pion, but gluons are the exchange particles for quarks. Just said that because Sometimes in textbooks they use both these words but don’t explain the difference
m.s124
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by RaA64)
Yes, so if talking about between particles you use pion, but gluons are the exchange particles for quarks. Just said that because Sometimes in textbooks they use both these words but don’t explain the difference
Yes you're right they never explained it and I didn't know this so thank you
vix.xvi
Rep:
?
thank you!! i guess he was wrong then
5hyl33n
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
thank you!! i guess he was wrong then
It's annoying how some online revision videos sometimes don't correct their mistakes.
vix.xvi
Rep:
?
(Original post by 5hyl33n)
It's annoying how some online revision videos sometimes don't correct their mistakes.
yeah exactly, and he's a well known physics guy too
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year will take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (84)
31.46%
Less motivated (183)
68.54%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed