The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

How likely would I be offered a place on the Economics course..

Hi.

After exceeding my predicted grades this summer and achieving AAA in Maths, Economics and Politics at A-level, I have decided to reapply for next year.
I like the look of the course at Warwick, but have heard it is very competitive, and was wondering how likely you think it would be for me to get a place?

As said before i have AAA in Maths, Eco, and Politics. I have a D at As Physics, and average GCSES (2 a*, 4 a's, 1 b, 3 c's). I went to an underperforming state school, and have done alot of extra stuff at my school.

What do you think the chances are? It would be a great help.

Thanks
Reply 1
It's gonna be a bit hard, with politics I reckon as the main issue. Don't know how traditional that is. I would suggest you apply to Economics as well as Industrial Economics...maybe better chances at the latter? Don't know. I have a friend in Econ who went to an underperforming school, got AAB in Econ, Physics and Sociology, so i guess nothing is impossible
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
joaquin
Hi.

After exceeding my predicted grades this summer and achieving AAA in Maths, Economics and Politics at A-level, I have decided to reapply for next year.
I like the look of the course at Warwick, but have heard it is very competitive, and was wondering how likely you think it would be for me to get a place?

As said before i have AAA in Maths, Eco, and Politics. I have a D at As Physics, and average GCSES (2 a*, 4 a's, 1 b, 3 c's). I went to an underperforming state school, and have done alot of extra stuff at my school.

What do you think the chances are? It would be a great help.

Thanks

Check out my posts in the econ forum:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=610081
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=619184
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=658957

one brief point. You don't currently meet Warwick's typical offer of AABb. So I think you would need to do something about that.

What AS Grades did you have and what offers did you get (and not get) this year? That gives us a position to work up from.

Barzini
It's gonna be a bit hard, with politics I reckon as the main issue. Don't know how traditional that is. I would suggest you apply to Economics as well as Industrial Economics...maybe better chances at the latter? Don't know. I have a friend in Econ who went to an underperforming school, got AAB in Econ, Physics and Sociology, so i guess nothing is impossible

Where did they go? e.g. with out maths you can't get into most of the good places.
(Warwick is top5 BTW).

I agree that Politics is not great but it is black listed so there are worse subjects. But I don't recommend going for Industrial Economics unless there is genuine interest in that subject as it has few places (e.g. 5) and is so oversubscribed (20:1).
Reply 3
Thanks for the responses.

At As Level I got BBCD, and was predicted ABB. I applied for Sussex, Reading, Royal Holloway, East Anglia and Kent. I recieved offers from all 5, the first 2 being ABB, second two being BBB, and Kent being BBC.

So do you think it is fairly unlikely to be offered a place as it stands? Would you suggest I do an additional As level this year (e.g further maths) to increase my chances?

Thanks
Reply 4
sorry the AAB was in Econ, Maths and Socio, not Physics.
Reply 5
joaquin
Thanks for the responses.

At As Level I got BBCD, and was predicted ABB. I applied for Sussex, Reading, Royal Holloway, East Anglia and Kent. I recieved offers from all 5, the first 2 being ABB, second two being BBB, and Kent being BBC.

So do you think it is fairly unlikely to be offered a place as it stands? Would you suggest I do an additional As level this year (e.g further maths) to increase my chances?

Thanks

Firstly I still think it a good idea as you should end up somehwere better than the 5 you went for last time. Where else are you thinking of applying to?

Secondly you should talk to Warwick to see what they think of your particular situation. ( I can see them understanding why you "only" have 3A2 and 1AS (e.g rather than 4A2 and 1AS) but I can't see them going below AABb, but you should ask directly). Yes doing more quealification would help your application. And yes FM is very useful:AS good full A-level better.
Reply 6
I was thinking of also applying to UCL, Durham, Exeter, Nottingham but I'm not too sure yet, I really liked the look of the course at Warwick.

Are these realistic targets??
Reply 7
joaquin
I was thinking of also applying to UCL, Durham, Exeter, Nottingham but I'm not too sure yet, I really liked the look of the course at Warwick.

Are these realistic targets??

You need to find out how much credit the unis will give you for coming from a bad school. But here are some initial thoughts:
Warwick and UCL both are ambitious (esp. Warwick as currently you don't meet their grade requirements).
Durham and Nottingham are less ambitious (But Notts were 40% over this year so it will be extra hard this year to get a place there in 09).
Exeter is very realistic as are the other AAB.2 unis.
BTW what did you like about the Warwick course so much?

Latest