The Student Room Group

no deposit option when signing for housing

Hey guys,

I am currently looking to rent and this letting agent has said that they offer a no deposit option, where you pay £36 a month instead of a deposit and may still have to cover cleaning costs and damages when you move out. I was wondering if anyone knew the benefits of this and whether this option is more beneficial than signing for a house.

Thanks!
Depends. Is it £36 a month for each month of the tenancy? It might be best to calculate how much the monthly option will cost in total compared to how much a direct deposit might (like how car sine hanger is usually cheaper if you pay annually rather than monthly). Also, check if your £36 a month gets protected like a deposit does. If not, then I wouldn’t take that option. If the monthly option gets protected and you’re entitled to your money back like you are with a normal deposit, then it’s just about whether you prefer that or not. If you’re not entitled to your deposit back if you pay monthly then I wouldn’t go for it.
Original post by Anonymous
Depends. Is it £36 a month for each month of the tenancy? It might be best to calculate how much the monthly option will cost in total compared to how much a direct deposit might (like how car sine hanger is usually cheaper if you pay annually rather than monthly). Also, check if your £36 a month gets protected like a deposit does. If not, then I wouldn’t take that option. If the monthly option gets protected and you’re entitled to your money back like you are with a normal deposit, then it’s just about whether you prefer that or not. If you’re not entitled to your deposit back if you pay monthly then I wouldn’t go for it.

Car insurance I meant. Sorry mate, trying too fast on a small keyboard
Hey guys,

I am currently looking to rent and this letting agent has said that they offer a no deposit option, where you pay £36 a month instead of a deposit and may still have to cover cleaning costs and damages when you move out. I was wondering if anyone knew the benefits of this and whether this option is more beneficial than signing for a house.

Thanks!

Cant remember where I saw it but I believe this is a new trend and you can end up a lot worse off. Something is ringing alarm bells.
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
Cant remember where I saw it but I believe this is a new trend and you can end up a lot worse off. Something is ringing alarm bells.

really? How come? its my first time signing for a professional house and there's not a lot of help out there tbh.
Reply 5

yh, so you pay £36 a month on top of rent rather than the full deposit at the start. but you don't get the £36 a month back. so i'm slightly torn on what to do
Reply 6
I don't understand what this £36 thing is tbh. But I do know there are no deposit options out there.

Tbh all the places I've rented bar my current one have been no deposit
really? How come? its my first time signing for a professional house and there's not a lot of help out there tbh.

Let me have a think as i believe it was an article I read between 8-15 months ago. It seemed to be on the subject.
yh, so you pay £36 a month on top of rent rather than the full deposit at the start. but you don't get the £36 a month back. so i'm slightly torn on what to do

I would pay a direct deposit and make sure it gets protected and that I’m entitled to it back. Think about it, that’s £432 a year you’ll be laying( none of it that you can back when you leave the tenancy. Even if your direct deposit was £600 or something, at least you’d be Enfield to most of it back. Maybe even all if you don’t damage anything or pay late either rent etc or nothing breaks. I would go for a direct despiser instead did the monthly thing, I don’t trust it. Just sounds like another way for landlords to get more money from tenants that they don’t have to pay back
Reply 9
Original post by FRS500
I don't understand what this £36 thing is tbh. But I do know there are no deposit options out there.

Tbh all the places I've rented bar my current one have been no deposit

Instead of paying a deposit, you sign up for this scheme they have where you pay £36 a month. Its really confusing tbh
I would pay a direct deposit and make sure it gets protected and that I’m entitled to it back. Think about it, that’s £432 a year you’ll be laying( none of it that you can back when you leave the tenancy. Even if your direct deposit was £600 or something, at least you’d be Enfield to most of it back. Maybe even all if you don’t damage anything or pay late either rent etc or nothing breaks. I would go for a direct despiser instead did the monthly thing, I don’t trust it. Just sounds like another way for landlords to get more money from tenants that they don’t have to pay back

that does make a lot of sense. I'll ask them about how the deposit is protected and such as it just seems like the smarter option. Thanks!
that does make a lot of sense. I'll ask them about how the deposit is protected and such as it just seems like the smarter option. Thanks!

No problem :smile: and sorry about the spelling mistakes and autocorrect for some reason :lol: hope what I wrote was comprehendable at least
Reply 12
Instead of paying a deposit, you sign up for this scheme they have where you pay £36 a month. Its really confusing tbh

One could argue that this money is a deposit. Is it some form of "insurance" or...?

Once upon a time there was a legal question as to whether 'rent in advance' was really a deposit. I can't see how this is anything different

I believe this was the article.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51206800

Quick Reply

Latest