I think I’m in the wrong set at school!??

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I have just finished year 7.
I was getting between grades 4,5and6 (Cs and lower Bs in GCSE if I did them now)
Been given my timetable for year 8 and I’m in bottom set!!?!?

What should I do?
SusannaW
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Email your school - I’m sure it will be sorted out in September.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by SusannaW)
Email your school - I’m sure it will be sorted out in September.
Yes I will do that!
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
Lool I’m lower set too my target grades are 6 and 7s (going to year 11 in September) Email your school! Prove them wrong! Don’t make the same mistakes as I did! Because I didn’t revise enough for most tests
90 cent
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
your in the lower years of school, so they are still trying to figure out your ability, i wouldn't worry too much now as your not even at the GCSE stage yet, but even then you will realize sets do not mean much at all, i was put in set 4 for a particular subject and got higher grades than those in set one (i was in year 11 then) at mocks i got an 8 which was higher than most in higher sets, sets do not stop you from getting higher grades than those above you, nor do they ask at job interviews what set you were for what matters is the grade, don't let that trouble you
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I was getting between grades 4,5and6 (Cs and lower Bs in GCSE if I did them now)

What should I do?
A C is a pretty bad grade though. And isn't a C the lowest grade that counts as a pass at GCSE?
Anonymous #3
Report 1 year ago

What should I do?
It might be correct, being given a GCSE grade in year 7 is completely meaningless. You are not at that level, it's just an arbitrary grading system. You can only be given a proper grade for a piece of work when you're doing actual GCSE content.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Sabertooth)
A C is a pretty bad grade though. And isn't a C the lowest grade that counts as a pass at GCSE?
Ummmm… I’m in year 7. I’ve got 4 years to improve.
Anonymous #1
It might be correct, being given a GCSE grade in year 7 is completely meaningless. You are not at that level, it's just an arbitrary grading system. You can only be given a proper grade for a piece of work when you're doing actual GCSE content.
We were doing GCSE content
username5161354
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Sabertooth)
Yeah but this person is in year 7. They said ‘If I did them now’ so clearly they’re quite intelligent if they’re able to pass a GCSE when only on year 7. And a C isn’t bad enough to be in bottom set
Anonymous #3
Report 1 year ago
We were doing GCSE content
What were you doing that is GCSE content? No school does GCSE content in year 7, that would be ridiculous.
Anonymous #3
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by theJoyfulGeek)
Not really - lots of the GCSE stuff, especially foundation tier stuff for lower grades, is done in year 7. Things such as algebra are done every year.

It's highly likely that a year 7 student is getting around Cs in GCSE Maths.
GCSE algebra is not taught in year 7 though.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by blueberrybowl)
Yeah but this person is in year 7. They said ‘If I did them now’ so clearly they’re quite intelligent if they’re able to pass a GCSE when only on year 7. And a C isn’t bad enough to be in bottom set
Exactly
In year 11 bottom set bottom set was grades 1 - 3 (fail) so going to year 8 with 4,5,6 ( c and b) is pretty good.
Anonymous #3
Report 1 year ago
Not really - lots of the GCSE stuff, especially foundation tier stuff for lower grades, is done in year 7. Things such as algebra are done every year.

It's highly likely that a year 7 student is getting around Cs in GCSE Maths.
Also it is not at all likely that a year 7 student would be getting around a C in GCSE maths.
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Best not to worry about it. If you are in the wrong set it should become apparent once you start and then maybe you can be moved up. I got moved down a set for maths in year 8 and in the long run it was probably better for me.
username4492254
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Moretime you take the same exam at the end of the course so just focus on doing your best, set mostly doesn’t matter
Anonymous #1
Just saying, it is t year 7 grades 1-9, year 8 grades 1-9, year 9 grades 1-9, year 10 grades 1-9, year 11 grades 1-9, it is all as one grades 1-9 for all years.
Anonymous #1
It is. At plenty of schools, especially grammar schools, getting a C in GCSE maths is something completely average. Some schools give end of year exams consisting of GCSE questions, and students do past paper questions every year from year 7 to year 11.
EXACTLY we do this a lot (especially in biology) and If you answer the question in a certain depth or intelligence, then you get a certain grade.
Anonymous #1
Attachment 937494
This is the old to new grading system
Moonbow
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 year ago

What should I do?
Maths GCSE gets a lot harder. Proof, Circle theorums, Algebraic fractions...this is the top level content. You still have lots to learn, and I really don’t know why your school is grading you in year 7. This is a predicted grade, what they think you will get in year 11, not if you sat the GCSE right now. I’m not knocking you, but I think that’s what they mean. Don’t worry! Work hard, you’ve got a lot of time to gain those skills 😊
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (273)
42%
The paper was reasonable (269)
41.38%
Not feeling great about that exam... (60)
9.23%
It was TERRIBLE (48)
7.38%

Watched Threads