Gaining weight

Watch
3omar78
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I need some advice, I'm tall and skinny and it's very difficult for me to gain weight any advice pls.
Libbyc16
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
write a meal plan with high calories but still healthy food
Khanthebrit
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Novice Linear Progression + eating lots of calories. Ideally 3000Kcal+
gtty123
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Khanthebrit)
Novice Linear Progression + eating lots of calories. Ideally 3000Kcal+
Depends on his stats. Eating in too much of a surplus, is more detrimental than beneficial.
Khanthebrit
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by gtty123)
Depends on his stats. Eating in too much of a surplus, is more detrimental than beneficial.
If he is gaining strength while gaining weight, then he is gaining a higher percentage of lean muscle mass to fat as compared to if he is gaining weight but no strength. I'd argue any Novice programme such as SS prescribing reps of 5 across sets is going to increase hypertrophy and strength.

From the OP brief description, Novice Linear Progressions sounds perfect for him/her. I use 3000kcal+ as a baseline though as I have only seen in extreme situations a male being able to complete NLP on a 2500kcal or less diet. Obviously he'll have to experiment with it, but if he's looking to gain weight I believe NLP will work wonders for him, regardless of how much he eats.
3omar78
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by Khanthebrit)
If he is gaining strength while gaining weight, then he is gaining a higher percentage of lean muscle mass to fat as compared to if he is gaining weight but no strength. I'd argue any Novice programme such as SS prescribing reps of 5 across sets is going to increase hypertrophy and strength.

From the OP brief description, Novice Linear Progressions sounds perfect for him/her. I use 3000kcal+ as a baseline though as I have only seen in extreme situations a male being able to complete NLP on a 2500kcal or less diet. Obviously he'll have to experiment with it, but if he's looking to gain weight I believe NLP will work wonders for him, regardless of how much he eats.
a lot of those terms are unknown to me can you pls reexplain😅 sorry abt that
Khanthebrit
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by 3omar78)
a lot of those terms are unknown to me can you pls reexplain😅 sorry abt that
Hypertrophy - increasing muscle mass, size of a muscle. Basically looking bigger.
Strength - kind of interrelated to hypertrophy. The movement of force essentially, the ability to generate it under a workload. Involving more of the central nervous system and neurological adaptations.

Essentially called 'noob gains', Novice Linear progression Is a period in which a complete beginner in the gym can subject stress to the body to be able to recover and adapt to that specific stress within 48hrs - 72hrs. This recovery allows them to be able to lift more each workout and continue such a cycle. As a result, muscles get bigger (hypertrophy) and you increase in strength rapidly. Providing you're gaining weight and getting adequate recovery to allow protein synthesis to occur.

Essentially it's done using the squats, deadlifts, Bench, and Overhead Press exercise 3x a week for 3-5 sets across 5 reps (e.g. 3x5). After completing the workout, the trainee adds 2.5kg to the next workout and so on and so on. As you can see, he gets stronger, being able to lift more, and will also experience bigger muscle mass - as bigger does mean strong due to the an increased cross-sectional muscle belly, basically making the physiology better when it comes to functioning.

Look up Stronglifts or Starting Strength. They have more detail on it all.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (126)
4.93%
Uncertainty around my education (378)
14.78%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (283)
11.06%
Lack of purpose or motivation (359)
14.03%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (119)
4.65%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (155)
6.06%
Loneliness (218)
8.52%
Financial worries (94)
3.67%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (106)
4.14%
Exposure to negative news/social media (120)
4.69%
Lack of real life entertainment (135)
5.28%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (224)
8.76%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (241)
9.42%

Watched Threads