The Student Room Group

How to save my CV as a job hopper?

I've been working for the past 3 years on and off hopping between jobs from warehouse work to hospitality to luxury retail etc. My longest job was about 3 weeks unless we count 0 hour contract jobs like stewarding which I've been with indefinitely for over a year.

I've had long gaps of unemployment and had to take UC as I'm not a student so what do i do with my CV? Is there even a point?
Original post by TheRisingZenith
I've been working for the past 3 years on and off hopping between jobs from warehouse work to hospitality to luxury retail etc. My longest job was about 3 weeks unless we count 0 hour contract jobs like stewarding which I've been with indefinitely for over a year.

I've had long gaps of unemployment and had to take UC as I'm not a student so what do i do with my CV? Is there even a point?

Focus on the zero hour contract jobs that you had the longest and after that include the ones most relevant to what you're applying to
Original post by claireestelle
Focus on the zero hour contract jobs that you had the longest and after that include the ones most relevant to what you're applying to

So not in chronological order but instead in order of length of time there?

Do you think I should include any colleges i dropped out of or got horrible grades in? I haven't been to Uni just to add
So not in chronological order but instead in order of length of time there?

Do you think I should include any colleges i dropped out of or got horrible grades in? I haven't been to Uni just to add

I would do chronological order and not include the jobs that lasted less than the 3 week one, so the 3 week one and the zero hour contract. what qualifications do you have specifically? It depends what qualifications you have altogether and how bad the gaps look.
I would do chronological order and not include the jobs that lasted less than the 3 week one, so the 3 week one and the zero hour contract. what qualifications do you have specifically? It depends what qualifications you have altogether and how bad the gaps look.

The gaps would be half a year apart at least. I spent a lot of time at home even before the coronavirus. Its not looking too good already i know

My highest qualification is L3 Access to HE Diploma for Electrical Engineering where I got a Pass. I got a DEE for my AS the year before, and dropped out halfway through my AS the year before that. So 3 sixth form/colleges.

I did well in my GCSEs though, I got more than 10 in total, a couple As and a few Bs and some Cs, with one D. I just kinda went downhill after that due to messing around.
The gaps would be half a year apart at least. I spent a lot of time at home even before the coronavirus. Its not looking too good already i know

My highest qualification is L3 Access to HE Diploma for Electrical Engineering where I got a Pass. I got a DEE for my AS the year before, and dropped out halfway through my AS the year before that. So 3 sixth form/colleges.

I did well in my GCSEs though, I got more than 10 in total, a couple As and a few Bs and some Cs, with one D. I just kinda went downhill after that due to messing around.

The access course, as levels and gcses would be good to include. If you include the gaps then just show as much as you can what you did get from the two jobs you had longest.

There's a CV Help forum which is private, so you can talk specifics in there.

Basically, ignore education, that's not going to get you a job. Use what's called a skills based CV (quite tricky) rather than a chronological one. Be realistic about what you can get, so if you have an ideal job, think of it as a destination and work out the stepping stones to get there. And learn how to tailor your CV to really hit the skills, experience and qualities the employer is looking for.

Then finally, work out whether you want a steady income in life or not, and if you do, work out how to stop yourself job-hopping.
The access course, as levels and gcses would be good to include. If you include the gaps then just show as much as you can what you did get from the two jobs you had longest.

Thank you for the advice
Original post by threeportdrift
There's a CV Help forum which is private, so you can talk specifics in there.

Basically, ignore education, that's not going to get you a job. Use what's called a skills based CV (quite tricky) rather than a chronological one. Be realistic about what you can get, so if you have an ideal job, think of it as a destination and work out the stepping stones to get there. And learn how to tailor your CV to really hit the skills, experience and qualities the employer is looking for.

Then finally, work out whether you want a steady income in life or not, and if you do, work out how to stop yourself job-hopping.

Education won't get me a job? Just when I was considering finally going back to education lol so do you think having a degree makes no difference in the job market? I'm genuinely curious

Alright i'll post there. Thank you
Education won't get me a job? Just when I was considering finally going back to education lol so do you think having a degree makes no difference in the job market? I'm genuinely curious

Alright i'll post there. Thank you

"My highest qualification is L3 Access to HE Diploma for Electrical Engineering where I got a Pass. I got a DEE for my AS the year before, and dropped out halfway through my AS the year before that. So 3 sixth form/colleges.

I did well in my GCSEs though, I got more than 10 in total, a couple As and a few Bs and some Cs, with one D. I just kinda went downhill after that due to messing around
."

The education you've got won't get you a job!

Access courses aren't understood by employers (I'm not saying that's right, but it does what it says, and it's focussed on Uni entrance).

AS levels and GCSEs don't get you a job, they provide a foundation, anything from a firm one to dust!

Here at the National Careers Service, we offer free CV reviews and the adviser you speak to about your CV can also have a chat with you about what kind of career you'd like and give you some advice and guidance around what your next steps could be. It's all free and confidential, you just need to get in touch via our website... nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/contact-us

Hope that helps, thanks, Mark

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending