The Student Room Group

Ordinarily Resident

Hello

So i'm applying for a course at a uni, i'm a UK citizen, and they've asked me to prove my ordinarily resident status.

I had a couple of jobs abroad in the last 3 years. 1 in 2017, they're satisfied that was temporary. All of 2018 was in the same country, but idk if my situation "proves" my stay was "temporary"

Now for 2018, I initially started on a fixed-term contract, but left at 6 months because it was awful (a "charity" that was basically a scam). It was advertised as an internship etc and thus matches "temporary" etc.

However, I had 6 months left on my visa, and decided to stay till the end. I got a job at another place, but the contract had no end date, as far as I can remember. I can prove the initial one was temporary, but the second one wasnt?

Proof that I was coming home? My visa would have expired, and I still had a flight back for Dec 2018 (booked before I left the UK) that was booked and I that I didn't change, as well as travel insurance etc. I never closed any bank accounts, was still on the electoral role, maintained a UK phone number etc etc (I lived at home with my parents who paid all the bills and I didn't pay rent so no "evidence" in that regard)

Additionally the visa had a big old "Temporary" on it.

So... how does that affect my status? The first job was definitely temporary (though, they never sent me a contract, part of the reason for leaving, so I can only say it was), and the second one was "permanent"... but my stay overall, I'd say, wasn't, I left after 4 months there, before my visa eventually expired.

This whole thing is ridiculous of course as i'm a UK citizen by birth but whatever. I'm not applying for student finance either as i've saved up and will pay myself...

Any help on what to tell them would be appreciated.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by commodoro
Hello

So i'm applying for a course at a uni, i'm a UK citizen, and they've asked me to prove my ordinarily resident status.

I had a couple of jobs abroad in the last 3 years. 1 in 2017, they're satisfied that was temporary. All of 2018 was in the same country, but idk if my situation "proves" my stay was "temporary"

Now for 2018, I initially started on a fixed-term contract, but left at 6 months because it was awful (a "charity" that was basically a scam). It was advertised as an internship etc and thus matches "temporary" etc.

However, I had 6 months left on my visa, and decided to stay till the end. I got a job at another place, but the contract had no end date, as far as I can remember. I can prove the initial one was temporary, but the second one wasnt?

Proof that I was coming home? My visa would have expired, and I still had a flight back for Dec 2018 (booked before I left the UK) that was booked and I that I didn't change, as well as travel insurance etc. I never closed any bank accounts, was still on the electoral role, maintained a UK phone number etc etc (I lived at home with my parents who paid all the bills and I didn't pay rent so no "evidence" in that regard)

Additionally the visa had a big old "Temporary" on it.

So... how does that affect my status? The first job was definitely temporary (though, they never sent me a contract, part of the reason for leaving, so I can only say it was), and the second one was "permanent"... but my stay overall, I'd say, wasn't, I left after 4 months there, before my visa eventually expired.

This whole thing is ridiculous of course as i'm a UK citizen by birth but whatever. I'm not applying for student finance either as i've saved up and will pay myself...

Any help on what to tell them would be appreciated.

Hi, have you only been asked to provide temporary absence evidence? Please let me know your residency history since you were born, if you prefer to discuss in private then you can message us on Facebook/Twitter or call us on 0300 100 0607.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 2
They haven't really made it clear to be honest they just keep asking more and more about "what was the nature of your stay", I tell them then "was it an internship?". The department I applied for offered me a place nearly 2 weeks ago, this is just the uni admissions. They could have just sent an email asking me to clarify it all straight away...

Well, up to Mid 2017, I was full time resident in the UK, attended a BA and MA at UK unis etc.

Birth- 2017 - UK resident
2017 - 1 country, 4 months (but actually with a UK contract, clearly fixed term too) - in the EU, never registered resident there either, legally it was a trip.
2018 - 1 country, 2 different jobs, 11 months, temporary intern/student visa.
2019onwards - UK resident working full time after a few months.
They haven't really made it clear to be honest they just keep asking more and more about "what was the nature of your stay", I tell them then "was it an internship?". The department I applied for offered me a place nearly 2 weeks ago, this is just the uni admissions. They could have just sent an email asking me to clarify it all straight away...

Well, up to Mid 2017, I was full time resident in the UK, attended a BA and MA at UK unis etc.

Birth- 2017 - UK resident
2017 - 1 country, 4 months (but actually with a UK contract, clearly fixed term too) - in the EU, never registered resident there either, legally it was a trip.
2018 - 1 country, 2 different jobs, 11 months, temporary intern/student visa.
2019onwards - UK resident working full time after a few months.

If you are now applying for finance then you will need to prove your time outside the UK/EU was temporary. Are you applying for funding for the 20/21 academic year?

You need to have been in the UK/EU/EEA from 01/09/2017. As it appears you were outside the EU/UK/EEA then you must provide evidence to prove it was temporary. If you let me know where you were and why you were there then I can help further.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 4
First one at the end of 2017 was totally temporary, and in the EU - fixed term contract with specified end date. I think they're happy that this was temporary.

With 2018, it was non-EU, I applied for an internship program that had a fixed length of 11 months. I bought tickets and insurance to leave at the end of those 11 months, never changed them, was always destined to return to the UK.

However, when I arrived it wasn't what I had been told at all, so I left after 6 months, (you could stay 6 or 11 months) and got a different job to do until my visa expired and my flight back to the UK, which I still had pending in Dec 2018. I never received a proper contract for the internship (part of the reason I left), and the second job I got I wasn't given a proper contract either...

I never closed any bank accounts, was on the electoral roll etc during that time.
First one at the end of 2017 was totally temporary, and in the EU - fixed term contract with specified end date. I think they're happy that this was temporary.

With 2018, it was non-EU, I applied for an internship program that had a fixed length of 11 months. I bought tickets and insurance to leave at the end of those 11 months, never changed them, was always destined to return to the UK.

However, when I arrived it wasn't what I had been told at all, so I left after 6 months, (you could stay 6 or 11 months) and got a different job to do until my visa expired and my flight back to the UK, which I still had pending in Dec 2018. I never received a proper contract for the internship (part of the reason I left), and the second job I got I wasn't given a proper contract either...

I never closed any bank accounts, was on the electoral roll etc during that time.

We can accept evidence such as a letter from the employer confirming it was temporary, temporary visa, return flight tickets, proof you still had ties to the UK. You should also write a cover letter explaining the situation in detail. Temporary absence evidence does not need to be original so it can be uploaded in your online account, it does not need to be posted.
Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending