art_psych
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I've got an offer to study at University of Southampton this September and got the email saying they were only going to offer face to face learning this year. As an international student, this news has given me some mixed feelings 😅due to Covid.
I just wanted to know, particularly the international students, if you have decided to push attending university or decide to defer?
FCEC01
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by loui_h)
I've got an offer to study at University of Southampton this September and got the email saying they were only going to offer face to face learning this year. As an international student, this news has given me some mixed feelings 😅due to Covid.
I just wanted to know, particularly the international students, if you have decided to push attending university or decide to defer?
im not international but im 100% deferring yes
TTSSRR101
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I want to defer but it’s almost impossible to get a job so I might as well just go
art_psych
Rep:
?
(Original post by FCEC01)
im not international but im 100% deferring yes
(Original post by TTSSRR101)
I want to defer but it’s almost impossible to get a job so I might as well just go
What course did you guys apply for?
TTSSRR101
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Biomed
Fcec02
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Economics. Yhh I have a job at Waitrose so deferring is alright for me
TTSSRR101
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Fcec02)
Economics. Yhh I have a job at Waitrose so deferring is alright for me
I lost my job due to Covid
FCEC01
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by TTSSRR101)
I lost my job due to Covid
ahhh that's **** mate
Anonymous #1
Report 5 months ago
Why would you defer if they say they will only offer face to face teaching? I'm certain they would consider all health measures
art_psych
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
Why would you defer if they say they will only offer face to face teaching? I'm certain they would consider all health measures
As an international student, I find it quite daunting that Ill be at risk in a different country where I have no support whatsoever. This concern is also shared by my parents. Additionally, you’d have to consider flights are very limited and many countries could refuse your entry during the holidays. Even if I do get to visit my family, I would be putting them at risk. Even if they did put all these health measures, it’s not for certain that all the people will follow it fully.
These are just a few concern of mine.
Last edited by art_psych; 5 months ago
art_psych
Rep:
?
As an international student, I find it quite daunting that Ill be at risk in a different country where I have no support whatsoever. This concern is also shared by my parents. Additionally, you’d have to consider flights are very limited and many countries could refuse your entry during the holidays. Even if I do get to visit my family, I would be putting them at risk. Even if they did put all these health measures, it’s not for certain that all the people will follow it fully.
You’d also have to consider if Universities are pushing for only face to face teaching that would mean all other students from different countries would be flying and ‘gathering’ in one campus and Im certain it’ll increase the risk a little.
Anonymous #1
Report 5 months ago
I understand that but they haven’t said they’ll only do face to face teaching, just that they want to offer as much as possible which is what most other universities are doing
Anonymous #2
Report 5 months ago
Face to face is good. If you want to move country and fill a uni space, and then not actually want to physically attend a lecture then just stay where you are and give the space to a british student, it’s pointless wanting to come and then not want to take part in uni. It confuses me
art_psych
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
Face to face is good. If you want to move country and fill a uni space, and then not actually want to physically attend a lecture then just stay where you are and give the space to a british student, it’s pointless wanting to come and then not want to take part in uni. It confuses me
I didnt mean I was going to the UK and choose to not attend uni. If I choose to defer, I wouldn’t come to the UK at all at least until I acc can physically attend Uni in the next year. Sorry if that confused you.
Also, its been said that universities are putting on caps on the number of domestic students they’re accepting, even if I did choose to give up my space, it’s not necessarily going to be given to a british student anyways
hopeful-lawyer
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
They would keep safety measures though
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (149)
60.08%
I don't have everything I need (99)
39.92%

Watched Threads