The Student Room Group

Pharmacy

Hi i would love to know any advice that pharmacists and pharmacy students have as i really want to do a pharmacy course in university. A list of pros and cons would also be really helpful, i appreciate whatever you are able to tell me about pharmacy.
Many thanks for reading this.

Scroll to see replies

I am neither but work as a pharmacy assistant part-time alongside my uni degree.
Community pharmacy is often repetitive, you do the same things over and over each day. You have customers who come to you for advice but ignore what you say or you have other customers who decide that they are more qualified and start giving the customer their opinionated advice. :angry:
You deal with drug addicts on a daily basis and you learn within a couple of hours how much co-codamol and nurofen plus is abused, and people don't like being refused a sale of these products.
You also have the customers who demand certain brands and certain shapes of tablets and will kick up such as fuss if they don't get them, even when we explain that we don't have them in stock. Then there are the constant drug manufacturing issues and having to tell customers that yet again their medication is unavailable and they need to ask for an alternative. "but this is the alternative! I only got this 2 months ago!" is an all too common phrase.
But, you also have the people who are truly thankful for your advice. They come in a week or two later and tell you that the product that you recommended cured their symptoms, or that our reassurance really helped. There are also rare times when you have to safeguard to social services or call an ambulance as someone's blood pressure is in crisis. Sometimes you may even have to do CPR because that person complaining of heartburn is having a heart attack. No two days in pharmacy are the same. It can be boring and repetitive, you can get a lot of agrow off the customers, but it can also be a laugh especially if you have a good team.
So whilst I can't give you a list of pro's and con's about a pharmacy degree I hope I can give you a bit of insight into life in community pharmacy.
Reply 2
Original post by Phoenixfeather99
I am neither but work as a pharmacy assistant part-time alongside my uni degree.
Community pharmacy is often repetitive, you do the same things over and over each day. You have customers who come to you for advice but ignore what you say or you have other customers who decide that they are more qualified and start giving the customer their opinionated advice. :angry:
You deal with drug addicts on a daily basis and you learn within a couple of hours how much co-codamol and nurofen plus is abused, and people don't like being refused a sale of these products.
You also have the customers who demand certain brands and certain shapes of tablets and will kick up such as fuss if they don't get them, even when we explain that we don't have them in stock. Then there are the constant drug manufacturing issues and having to tell customers that yet again their medication is unavailable and they need to ask for an alternative. "but this is the alternative! I only got this 2 months ago!" is an all too common phrase.
But, you also have the people who are truly thankful for your advice. They come in a week or two later and tell you that the product that you recommended cured their symptoms, or that our reassurance really helped. There are also rare times when you have to safeguard to social services or call an ambulance as someone's blood pressure is in crisis. Sometimes you may even have to do CPR because that person complaining of heartburn is having a heart attack. No two days in pharmacy are the same. It can be boring and repetitive, you can get a lot of agrow off the customers, but it can also be a laugh especially if you have a good team.
So whilst I can't give you a list of pro's and con's about a pharmacy degree I hope I can give you a bit of insight into life in community pharmacy.

Thank you so much honestly it gives me a great outlook in community pharmacy I appreciate you taking the time out of your day to help me.:smile:
Reply 3
Would hospital pharmacy be an option for you
Reply 4
Original post by Yas031119
Would hospital pharmacy be an option for you

it sounds interesting to me but I don’t really know what hospital pharmacy would be like.
Reply 5
Original post by pya123
it sounds interesting to me but I don’t really know what hospital pharmacy would be like.

You should research it to me it's better than community as it's more fast paced and more patient contact but idk much
Reply 6
You should research it to me it's better than community as it's more fast paced and more patient contact but idk much

Are you someone studying pharmacy?
Reply 7
I am not someone who is studying pharmacy, however one thing you should bear in mind atleast for my case and area, the number of vaccanies are too little in comparison to the number of graduation.
Reply 8
Original post by 32bit
I am not someone who is studying pharmacy, however one thing you should bear in mind atleast for my case and area, the number of vaccanies are too little in comparison to the number of graduation.

Meaning that jobs are tight and I’d have to find jobs further away that are actually available? Someone else told me this as well however is this not just in the current climate, if I were to graduate from pharmacy would that not mean that by then some current pharmacists would retire which would open up more jobs and with what is going on in the current climate would you not agree that pharmacy jobs availability would be on the rise ? I’m only saying this for your opinion on this as I do agree with what you’re saying also.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by pya123
Meaning that jobs are tight and I’d have to find jobs further away that are actually available?

It means that you would be most likely stuck as a locum if you wanted to stay local whilst you applied for local jobs. Locums are like supply teachers but in pharmacist form
Reply 10
It means that you would be most likely stuck as a locum if you wanted to stay local whilst you applied for local jobs. Locums are like supply teachers but in pharmacist form

Ohh thank you very much, do locums get paid less or the same as a newly trained pharmacist?
Reply 11
Original post by pya123
Ohh thank you very much, do locums get paid less or the same as a newly trained pharmacist?

I acutally wanted to go through the pharmacist carer however the industry has been in a long decline. Look a previous threads they should explain everything about pharmacy and the state of it
Original post by pya123

It depends. Once you are fully qualified some locums can get paid a lot. Some pharmacists will take shifts the night before when rates are super high and get paid a ridiculous amount whilst others will book other pharmacists holidays way in advance so they know they are working for a whole week in 2 months time but the pay will be average.
Original post by pya123
Meaning that jobs are tight and I’d have to find jobs further away that are actually available? Someone else told me this as well however is this not just in the current climate, if I were to graduate from pharmacy would that not mean that by then some current pharmacists would retire which would open up more jobs and with what is going on in the current climate would you not agree that pharmacy jobs availability would be on the rise ? I’m only saying this for your opinion on this as I do agree with what you’re saying also.

If you google 'pharmacy jobs', you will literally have to wade through hundreds of vacancies. In community pharmacy in the south, average starting pay is circa £40,000, starting pay in the north is much higher because most pharmacists prefer to live down south. I'm yet to see a pharmacist without a job or struggling to get one. It is not uncommon to see a pharmacist hit a six figure salary in less than 2 years after graduation in the north.
Original post by pya123
Are you someone studying pharmacy?

Its one of my ideas
Reply 15
Its one of my ideas

Ohhh that’s interesting, what other ideas do you have if you don’t mind me asking?
Reply 16

Imagine if a drug dealer came into the pharmacist and say's your taking my job's and customer's.
Original post by pya123
Ohhh that’s interesting, what other ideas do you have if you don’t mind me asking?

Engineering

!!! locums get paid really well, you can even travel to other countries in the UK like Scotland.
Reply 19
Engineering

what type?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending