The Student Room Group

Healthcare Assistant as a Student?

Hello,
I'm applying for uni in October for Medicine but when I'm 18 in December, I want a part-time job in a hospital as an HCA to build up hospital work experience, and get more of a feel for it as I've been unable to get any during COVID pandemic except for virtual experience.

I've wanted to apply since I was 16 but my local health board requires you to be 18. My medical work experience with them was cancelled due to COVID and I have to contact back in September but that was only for a week. I will be studying for A-Levels, yes, so I'd need part-time. Is this possible or do they only offer full-time roles? I am very good at revising so it doesn't take me much time.

Obviously, it is a lot of commitment, but I just want to see if it's feasible.

Original post by ryanalevel
Hello,
I'm applying for uni in October for Medicine but when I'm 18 in December, I want a part-time job in a hospital as an HCA to build up hospital work experience, and get more of a feel for it as I've been unable to get any during COVID pandemic except for virtual experience.

I've wanted to apply since I was 16 but my local health board requires you to be 18. My medical work experience with them was cancelled due to COVID and I have to contact back in September but that was only for a week. I will be studying for A-Levels, yes, so I'd need part-time. Is this possible or do they only offer full-time roles? I am very good at revising so it doesn't take me much time.

Hi

The problem is finding a part-time role as a healthcare assistant in hospitals but they do offer sometimes roles like this but you will need to contact the hospital recruitment team to see if there's anything suitable for you as every hospital advertise for variable positions for jobs .

You may find they only have fulltime positions but unless you enquire then you won't know anything . Give your local hospital a call or see what's available on there job website .

But most importantly is your immediate studies of A levels . but is achievable providing you don't over do things .
Reply 2
Original post by Allyson90
Hi

The problem is finding a part-time role as a healthcare assistant in hospitals but they do offer sometimes roles like this but you will need to contact the hospital recruitment team to see if there's anything suitable for you as every hospital advertise for variable positions for jobs .

You may find they only have fulltime positions but unless you enquire then you won't know anything . Give your local hospital a call or see what's available on there job website .

But most importantly is your immediate studies of A levels . but is achievable providing you don't over do things .

OK thank you very much for that. I doubt it'll be possible and that's OK but I won't know until I ask, as you said. :smile:
Reply 3
Hello,

Original post by Allyson90
Hi

Literally every hospital has a thing called Nurse Bank, which employs nurses and HCAs on these allegedly awful 0 hours contracts. These nurses and HCAs pick up shifts as and when suits them, filling in the gaps on wards and in outpatients departments. There are 2 things that get in the way of this - 1) some trusts will only employ HCAs on bank if they have some sort of experience (some, not all) 2) how well staffed the trust is (although at the trusts round where I live, there's always a couple of wards with a few bank shifts out a week).
Have a look at NHS jobs website, you'll find loads on there.
Original post by Emily_B
Literally every hospital has a thing called Nurse Bank, which employs nurses and HCAs on these allegedly awful 0 hours contracts. These nurses and HCAs pick up shifts as and when suits them, filling in the gaps on wards and in outpatients departments. There are 2 things that get in the way of this - 1) some trusts will only employ HCAs on bank if they have some sort of experience (some, not all) 2) how well staffed the trust is (although at the trusts round where I live, there's always a couple of wards with a few bank shifts out a week).
Have a look at NHS jobs website, you'll find loads on there.

@Emily_B
@ryanalevel
Hi Emily,
Yeah I forgotten about bank nurses untill I seen you mentioned it to other person like as I should had remember that myself but at least you were on hand to mention this okay.

But you are right about 0 contracts and you never know when you will get a shift either .

Each trusts certainly do work differently from each other and hopefully where this other person lives may have loads available but again none,

That's why I really said to have a look at the local NHS website for anything going and see how it goes.
OK thank you very much for that. I doubt it'll be possible and that's OK but I won't know until I ask, as you said. :smile:

You most welcome ok and that's why the likes of myself & Emily_B and others are here to try and help yourself and anyone else.
You won't know you ask about this as no pooing t saying it not possible untill you get the relevant information on things.
I think Emily summed it up on bank nurses like but give it a go as only you will then know what you can do once you have all the information in front of you.

Quick Reply

Latest