The Student Room Group

IELTS English Language Test

So I didn't get a great grade for GCSE English Language, (got a 5) and I want to apply to Imperial for biochemistry, where they require at least a 6.
So now I am planning to take this test to show as proof for my English proficiency. When would be the best time to take this test? (for 2021 entry)
Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you! :smile:
Are you a UK student? IELTS is for non UK non English speakers. Check with imperial before making this decision
Original post by PQ
Are you a UK student? IELTS is for non UK non English speakers. Check with imperial before making this decision

Unless they have changed the rules, this isn't true.

I'm an English national and was required to take the IELTS years ago for a course, however, I didn't end up going to uni that year.
Original post by UndisputedChamp
Unless they have changed the rules, this isn't true.

I'm an English national and was required to take the IELTS years ago for a course, however, I didn't end up going to uni that year.

It’s not a recommended option for most uk nationals. It isn’t something OP should take without confirming with imperial that they would accept it.
Original post by PQ

Hi! I am a UK student. I moved to England in 2009 (was not born here).
I emailed Imperial a while back (late last year) and I asked them if I could take an English Language Proficiency Test instead, and they replied:
'In terms of English Language courses, it is possible to apply with grades pending, however, if you are made an offer it will be on the condition of providing evidence of an eligible qualification, by a given date (i.e. July 2020, for 2020 entry courses).'

The ICL website states:
'part of the application process you will be asked to show that you have met the College’s English-language requirement. You can do this in a number of ways:
- Pass the Imperial Collge London Pre-Sessional English Programme (applicants for postgraduate taught or research admission only)
- Take an English language proficiency test (one of the options stated is IELTS (academic))
- Provide evidence of a previous qualification that you have taken that confirms your English level (e.g. GCSE)
- Provide evidence that you meet one of our English language exemptions '
source: https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/apply/requirements/english/

I read that the IELTS test is available for everyone. I didn't find any restrictions for who can take it.

So I am assuming they would accept it? Thank you so for your help!
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest