Plantsarelife
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I'd really like some advice on which to pick. I think I'd find history more interesting but I'd struggle with the exam technique and evaluations and I'd find physics easier because of the maths overlap but I'd find half of the topics hard/boring.

or should I pick neither and do two exam based subjects(which I've already chose to be maths and business) and one coursework based subject (health and social care btec) to make it less stressful in exam season?
vix.xvi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
which do u enjoy more?
L-K
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
It sounds like you're more keen on history. If you enjoy it you will find things like exam technique much easier to learn.
Plantsarelife
Rep:
?
(Original post by L-K)
It sounds like you're more keen on history. If you enjoy it you will find things like exam technique much easier to learn.
It's just that for history I'm good at recalling knowledge and applying it to a question but I was never great at analysing it and coming to a judgement. I thought I was good at it but I'd never get full marks in a question, perhaps because I included too much detail on the topic.
I haven't had great history teachers in the last few years and they weren't always present so maybe I just wasn't taught how to answer an essay question properly and I will in college? But I know that a lot of people spend their first year just trying to figure out the exam technique and the argument side of History so I'm worried about that.
Whereas for physics I won't be worried about the maths at all and the maths question in physics will give me practise and be a sort of revision especially for mechanics. And you can go into the exam knowing what will come up and knowing you just have to apply what you've learnt. But I'm worried I'll find some of the topics just too hard or boring but then again I might not
As you can see I'm quite indecisive ahaha so what does it seem like I should do?
thegeek888
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
About 40% of A-Level Physics is A-Level Mechanics and A-Level Further Mechanics 1 and some topics are in Further Mechanics 2 module. So it would be easier to get an A* or A grade in Physics than History. I know a friend who got an A* in GCSE History but struggled to get above a D grade at A-Level History, as the topics were not interesting for him and he lost motivation. So History A-Level really depends on the study of the periods too.
Plantsarelife
Rep:
?
So you're saying it would be easier because of the overlap with the mechanics in Alevel maths?
That's really helpful thank you!
Did he find the history exams harder too in terms of exam technique?
It's true I can see myself getting an A in physics and a B in history but I'm worried I'll find the physics topics uninteresting and then lose motivation, like your friend.

(Original post by thegeek888)
About 40% of A-Level Physics is A-Level Mechanics and A-Level Further Mechanics 1 and some topics are in Further Mechanics 2 module. So it would be easier to get an A* or A grade in Physics than History. I know a friend who got an A* in GCSE History but struggled to get above a D grade at A-Level History, as the topics were not interesting for him and he lost motivation. So History A-Level really depends on the study of the periods too.
Yas031119
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
well im going to be doing physics so i might be biased
Plantsarelife
Rep:
?
(Original post by Yas031119)
well im going to be doing physics so i might be biased
What r ur reasonss
Yas031119
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Plantsarelife)
What r ur reasonss
Engineering
Oshmit
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I'd really like some advice on which to pick. I think I'd find history more interesting but I'd struggle with the exam technique and evaluations and I'd find physics easier because of the maths overlap but I'd find half of the topics hard/boring.

or should I pick neither and do two exam based subjects(which I've already chose to be maths and business) and one coursework based subject (health and social care btec) to make it less stressful in exam season?
If you are planning on going to university then don't take a BTEC, it will make your application weaker unless it is directly related to your chosen course at uni.

I would say take history if you don't have real motivation to take physics. Personally the only way I'd survive AL Physics is not because of my motivation to study, but because of an ulterior motive in taking it (in most cases to get into engineering/research). I am taking history btw, and if you find the topics interesting at your institution (this is most important, go over what topics they teach, you don't want to be stuck with boring ones or a closed coursework topic for 2 years) then you will surely do well!
Plantsarelife
Rep:
?
(Original post by Oshmit)
If you are planning on going to university then don't take a BTEC, it will make your application weaker unless it is directly related to your chosen course at uni.

I would say take history if you don't have real motivation to take physics. Personally the only way I'd survive AL Physics is not because of my motivation to study, but because of an ulterior motive in taking it (in most cases to get into engineering/research). I am taking history btw, and if you find the topics interesting at your institution (this is most important, go over what topics they teach, you don't want to be stuck with boring ones or a closed coursework topic for 2 years) then you will surely do well!
I don't have a uni course in mind and I'd love to do an apprenticeship so would taking a btec still make my application weak.
The only reason I want to do physics is because of the maths overlap which would be like revision in both classes andd it has less work load than history. But I'd definitely find history more interesting.
Do you not find the exam technique as well as the interpretations to hard to answer and master?
Oshmit
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I don't have a uni course in mind and I'd love to do an apprenticeship so would taking a btec still make my application weak.
The only reason I want to do physics is because of the maths overlap which would be like revision in both classes andd it has less work load than history. But I'd definitely find history more interesting.
Do you not find the exam technique as well as the interpretations to hard to answer and master?
I did when I started the course, but I'm pretty good at following a format, which my teacher very kindly helped to develop. Once I started following the format rigorously, it was smooth sailing
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
have you any idea what apprenticeships you're interested in? you could research some of these and their requirements.
Ghostlady
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Maths and physics go hand in hand and work well together would also open up to other ideas should you want to explore, physics, engineering, astrophysics, particle physics
Plantsarelife
Rep:
?
(Original post by Oshmit)
I did when I started the course, but I'm pretty good at following a format, which my teacher very kindly helped to develop. Once I started following the format rigorously, it was smooth sailing
Thanks for your reply!
Did you find that you had to put the most effort into history?
What subjects do you take alongside it?
Oshmit
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Thanks for your reply!
Did you find that you had to put the most effort into history?
What subjects do you take alongside it?
Nope, because I had to put way more effort into French, the jump in languages just cannot compare.

I take Maths, French and Chemistry with History...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (96)
28.24%
No - I have already returned home (44)
12.94%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (65)
19.12%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (34)
10%
No - I live at home during term anyway (101)
29.71%

Watched Threads