(Original post by laurawatt)
Some are, some aren’t
Nothing more to say really is there?
Ciel.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
no. they're amazing and diverse, and offer you freedom people could only dream of in the past.
laurawatt
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by GabiAbi84)
Nothing more to say really is there?
Not really!

OP - Obviously social media plays a big part in relationships now, but I also think it provides a wider pool of friends and resources to help than what you would have had previously
SportScience98
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Some are, some aren’t
Toxic behaviour is normalised in modern day society. I see people trying to excuse their toxic rubbish all the time - hence why I quit social media (to avoid it!)
SportScience98
Rep:
?
Not really!

OP - Obviously social media plays a big part in relationships now, but I also think it provides a wider pool of friends and resources to help than what you would have had previously
Since I have quit social media, my view may have shifted because I no longer use this form of entertainment
laurawatt
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by conorellis42)
Toxic behaviour is normalised in modern day society. I see people trying to excuse their toxic rubbish all the time - hence why I quit social media (to avoid it!)
Normalised in what way? I would have thought people were a lot more aware of it now than in the past
username5301604
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
lol this is a reaction to that other thread, isn't it :lol:
SportScience98
Rep:
?
Normalised in what way? I would have thought people were a lot more aware of it now than in the past
I'd like to think so, but it does not seem to be the case (behind closed doors!) People use social media to show positive portrayals of their lives, which makes other people feel insecure. However, these positive portrayals are only a minute part of these peoples lives. I've had friends before talking about how much they're struggling in their relationships, only to see them post about how much they love their SO a few hours later.
SportScience98
Rep:
?
(Original post by Synergy_)
lol this is a reaction to that other thread, isn't it :lol:
repped
TheStarboy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Toxic Behaviour isn't new at all. Before, it used to be common to marry a younger wife when your first one gets too old and marital rape only became a crime in 1991.
LovelyMrFox
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Depends on the people in the relationship.
SportScience98
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheStarboy)
Toxic Behaviour isn't new at all. Before, it used to be common to marry a younger wife when your first one gets too old and marital rape only became a crime in 1991.
What do you think can be done to change the behaviour?

Personally I think social media is a negative form of entertainment, which negatively affects relationships in the modern age.
SportScience98
Rep:
?
(Original post by LovelyMrFox)
Depends on the people in the relationship.
Typically, I think both parties in a toxic relationship are victims
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Fairly sure it was normalised in the past as well....
Wife beating was the norm for most of the 20th century, the The Domestic Violence, Crime and Victims Act was only passed in 2004, the Divorce Reform Act was only passed in 1969.
People have more freedom nowadays, that doesn't necessarily translate to those relationships being toxic. Personally i find the idea of people trapped in unhappy marriages and gays forced to marry hetrosexuals as a social coverup to be more toxic, something even more commonplace in the past.
TheStarboy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What do you think can be done to change the behaviour?

Personally I think social media is a negative form of entertainment, which negatively affects relationships in the modern age.
Social media is a somewhat good influence surrounding this. It has helped redline relationships positively, different attitudes have been promoted and toxic behaviour is regularly called out.
SportScience98
Rep:
?
(Original post by CoolCavy)
Fairly sure it was normalised in the past as well....
Wife beating was the norm for most of the 20th century, the The Domestic Violence, Crime and Victims Act was only passed in 2004, the Divorce Reform Act was only passed in 1969.
People have more freedom nowadays, that doesn't necessarily translate to those relationships being toxic. Personally i find the idea of people trapped in unhappy marriages and gays forced to marry hetrosexuals as a social coverup to be more toxic, something even more commonplace in the past.
"Fairly sure it was normalised in the past as well...."

Still is, in my opinion. Nowadays, I think social media is a big culprit. Its designed to be addictive.

"Wife beating was the norm for most of the 20th century, the The Domestic Violence, Crime and Victims Act was only passed in 2004, the Divorce Reform Act was only passed in 1969."

Good progress.

"People have more freedom nowadays, that doesn't necessarily translate to those relationships being toxic. Personally i find the idea of people trapped in unhappy marriages and gays forced to marry hetrosexuals as a social coverup to be more toxic, something even more commonplace in the past."

Do you think they are more or less toxic then nowadays?
SportScience98
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheStarboy)
Social media is a somewhat good influence surrounding this. It has helped redline relationships positively, different attitudes have been promoted and toxic behaviour is regularly called out.
The issue with social media as a whole is that it does not portray reality, but only what people want you to see. This can lead to people feeling insecure about their own lives, which is why social media use might be correlated to higher rates of depression and anxiety.
LovelyMrFox
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Typically, I think both parties in a toxic relationship are victims
And why do you think this?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (50)
21.93%
No (178)
78.07%

Watched Threads