The Student Room Group

Is it appropriate to complain against Dissertation Supervisor?

Hi,

I have to submit my dissertation by 21st September and my supervisor has kind of neglected, ignored my emails and has given me unhelpful suggestions. I last spoke to him on 4th July and I mailed him twice between to reach him but he did not reply back. In the third email, I added my personal tutor as a CC and I got a reply the next day and a meeting was set up. My supervisor told me I should not have added him as a CC and all work regarding to data cleaning has been done wrong and cut down my approach of applying new methods.

I re-did everything and had a conversation with one of the Ph.D. students in the helpdesk session and he told me what I had done earlier was correct. I have got a re-sit in one of my modules and this unprofessional behavior is putting a lot of stress on me. I am at a stage where my self-confidence is extremely low.
Original post by GoonerHammu
Hi,

I have to submit my dissertation by 21st September and my supervisor has kind of neglected, ignored my emails and has given me unhelpful suggestions. I last spoke to him on 4th July and I mailed him twice between to reach him but he did not reply back. In the third email, I added my personal tutor as a CC and I got a reply the next day and a meeting was set up. My supervisor told me I should not have added him as a CC and all work regarding to data cleaning has been done wrong and cut down my approach of applying new methods.

I re-did everything and had a conversation with one of the Ph.D. students in the helpdesk session and he told me what I had done earlier was correct. I have got a re-sit in one of my modules and this unprofessional behavior is putting a lot of stress on me. I am at a stage where my self-confidence is extremely low.

Speak with your tutor and 'student wellbeing' (or whatever they're called) services about it. Put in an extenuating circumstances form if necessary, explaining how this has effected you.

Are you a BSc or MSc student? It shouldn't make a different, but MSc students are expected to show more independent working, and less reliance on their supervisors, for example.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending