The Student Room Group

Scores for Cambridge from Canada (Ontario)

If I were applying to law at Cambridge, would a poor score on the Computer Science and Biology AP Exams hurt my chances too much?

My language and social science AP scores are all fives, and my regular grades are high nineties. I also have a 1570 on the redesigned SAT.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by D Liu
If I were applying to law at Cambridge, would a poor score on the Computer Science and Biology AP Exams hurt my chances too much?

My language and social science AP scores are all fives, and my regular grades are high nineties. I also have a 1570 on the redesigned SAT.

Are the AP exams your equivalent of GCSEs? If so, don't worry too much. Cambridge do not set too much store on GCSE marks, but you do need some flair, and a lot of interest, in the subject. Make sure you find an area of interest within the subject, and do some research into it.

Here is the Cambridge Demystified chapter for law.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6481488&p=88511460#post88511460

Having said that, you will have to make a step up when it comes to your A levels (or Canadian equivalent). You must meet your offer, should you receive one.
Original post by Oxford Mum
Are the AP exams your equivalent of GCSEs? If so, don't worry too much. Cambridge do not set too much store on GCSE marks, but you do need some flair, and a lot of interest, in the subject. Make sure you find an area of interest within the subject, and do some research into it.

Here is the Cambridge Demystified chapter for law.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6481488&p=88511460#post88511460

Having said that, you will have to make a step up when it comes to your A levels (or Canadian equivalent). You must meet your offer, should you receive one.

APs are equivalent to AS I think (maybe A levels but not sure tbh).
Reply 3
Original post by PetitePanda
APs are equivalent to AS I think (maybe A levels but not sure tbh).

Based upon Cambridge's website, I believe that it would be fair to consider AP's as taking the place of A levels as primary qualifications for students in North America unable to take IB or A-levels. I guess it would be easier to answer my question if it were in the following form:

If a student were to take 6 A-levels (yes, I know that is borderline madness in real life, and frankly not allowed (at least for my relatives in Singapore)), and got A* or A on all but two, and those two were both natural sciences whereas the other four subjects were literature, history, government and politics, and a second language, would it be of much detriment if the student were applying to a law course?

PS. To be clear, I am not insinuating Advanced Placement (AP) Exams and A-Levels should be compared quantitatively or that one is more challenging than the other.
Original post by D Liu
Based upon Cambridge's website, I believe that it would be fair to consider AP's as taking the place of A levels as primary qualifications for students in North America unable to take IB or A-levels. I guess it would be easier to answer my question if it were in the following form:

If a student were to take 6 A-levels (yes, I know that is borderline madness in real life, and frankly not allowed (at least for my relatives in Singapore)), and got A* or A on all but two, and those two were both natural sciences whereas the other four subjects were literature, history, government and politics, and a second language, would it be of much detriment if the student were applying to a law course?

PS. To be clear, I am not insinuating Advanced Placement (AP) Exams and A-Levels should be compared quantitatively or that one is more challenging than the other.

It would depend on the uni. Some make offer based on the 3 but they could base it on all 6 you have. If they base it on 4, then the two wouldnt matter but it could because they look at all of them. It really just depends. Did you take those AP classes or were they forced on you (e.g. you had to pick a certain number)?
Reply 5
Original post by D Liu

Should be fine so long as you didn't actively fail the exams. You don't need a perfect record and the more applicable subjects matter a lot more.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending