sunshine97
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
I'm applying for the 2021-2022 cycle for the PGCE Primary course. I heard that the skills tests, which needs to be completed prior to the course have been scrapped. Is this true?
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
They have been for secondary. I just needed to show my GCSE certs instead. Is it the same for primary, I dunno
sunshine97
Rep:
?
(Original post by gjd800)
They have been for secondary. I just needed to show my GCSE certs instead. Is it the same for primary, I dunno
Did you ring up the universities you want to apply to, in order to find out?
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by sunshine97)
Did you ring up the universities you want to apply to, in order to find out?
No
Muserock
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
The Department of Education skills tests in Maths and English were scrapped (the 2019/2020 cohort were the last to do them). However, now it is up to the teacher training provider to assess a candidate’s skills in Maths and English during the application/interview process.
Get into Teaching
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by sunshine97)
I'm applying for the 2021-2022 cycle for the PGCE Primary course. I heard that the skills tests, which needs to be completed prior to the course have been scrapped. Is this true?
Dear sunshine97

Yes, you no longer need to have passed the QTS professional skills tests in literacy and numeracy prior to starting your course. However, the teacher training course provider s must ensure that your literacy and numeracy skills meet a required standard and so some may test that in interview. Others will do so over the period of training.

There is free advise, guidance and support for a 2021-22 teacher training course application from fully qualified and experienced teachers, who are also expert in making successful applications for courses. Register here for our help!

All the best

Jane
sunshine97
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muserock)
The Department of Education skills tests in Maths and English were scrapped (the 2019/2020 cohort were the last to do them). However, now it is up to the teacher training provider to assess a candidate’s skills in Maths and English during the application/interview process.
(Original post by Get into Teaching)
Dear sunshine97

Yes, you no longer need to have passed the QTS professional skills tests in literacy and numeracy prior to starting your course. However, the teacher training course provider s must ensure that your literacy and numeracy skills meet a required standard and so some may test that in interview. Others will do so over the period of training.

There is free advise, guidance and support for a 2021-22 teacher training course application from fully qualified and experienced teachers, who are also expert in making successful applications for courses. Register here for our help!

All the best

Jane

Thank you all very much for your helpful comments.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (194)
43.69%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (50)
11.26%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (35)
7.88%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (93)
20.95%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (47)
10.59%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (25)
5.63%

Watched Threads