universities that do modules in cyber security law?

Watch
CoronaCat
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm going to be studying law in 2021 and I'm looking for universities and studying for my September exams/LNAT.

is there some place I can search course modules specifically a cross multiple universities? if not does anyone know any universities that have law modules in cyber security law?

I'm looking for a good in to the stem field, since my GCSE's are lacking and I chose art, RPE and English language for A levels. I reckon doing a module in that field may look good on a CV. it also gives me something to talk about in an interview.
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm interested in cyber law so i know a fair bit but there's not a lot that's specifically cyber law except maybe as a topic in specific modules (e.g. my Durham mentor told me she does the ethics of legal technology in the philosophy of law). It would be so great to search for modules but you have to go to each website from each website. There's not a ton of unis with modules in it (from what I have researched) except Law with legal technology at the university of law. Wait wdym you are looking for a good in to the stem field?
CoronaCat
Rep:
?
I'd like to eventually work in the stem field but I don't really have good gcses or related a levels.
grumpy_old_git
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Unless I am missing something, doing 1 module within a Law degree isn't really going to get you into a STEM field. Which sort of STEM job did you have in mind?
EU Yakov
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by CoronaCat)
I'm going to be studying law in 2021 and I'm looking for universities and studying for my September exams/LNAT.

is there some place I can search course modules specifically a cross multiple universities? if not does anyone know any universities that have law modules in cyber security law?

I'm looking for a good in to the stem field, since my GCSE's are lacking and I chose art, RPE and English language for A levels. I reckon doing a module in that field may look good on a CV. it also gives me something to talk about in an interview.
there's no convenient list of this
you're just gonna have to draw up a shortlist and go through it one by one

when you say that you want to work in STEM, i'm guessing that you mean in a legal or other support capacity?
CoronaCat
Rep:
?
oh. that's a little disheartening to hear. my naive self was seriously hoping it might. I'd like to go into cyber security or data analytics. I'm already looking into intelligence analysis perhaps? business analytics is a low priority.
CoronaCat
Rep:
?
no I mean as a researcher, in hindsight it seems pretty far fetched I suppose. will I have to get another degree after this one?
EU Yakov
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
no I mean as a researcher, in hindsight it seems pretty far fetched I suppose. will I have to get another degree after this one?
probably? have you tried looking up the minimum requirements for these roles online??
GabiAbi84
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Law will not help you to get into that sort of role. You would have to do post graduate conversion courses to do what you want to do. And if that’s your aim then it seems like a waste of a degree to do law when you don’t want to be doing it surely...
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
i wouldn't do an llb if your only interest is cyber law. for one) academic law is more theory than practical learning, so you may study a theory of intellectual property but you won't study what you need to work in it. two) it's going to be a small part of your degree and there's no guarantee it'll even be offered the year you want it because often 'niche' law is offered based on demand and who's available to teach that year. three) law is too hard and too painful to study if you don't have a genuine interest in it. i wouldn't make yourself miserable if you don't have to
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'd like to eventually work in the stem field but I don't really have good gcses or related a levels.
Sorry I did not see this because I didn’t get the notification - if you want me to see it, @ me or quote me. What GCSEs do you have and what a level subjects do you have? What year are you in?
CoronaCat
Rep:
?
I'm in year 12 going into year 13, I got a 5 in maths and a 5 in English literature, a 7 in English language, all 5 in triple science and I'm predicted AAA in a levels currently in English language, art and RPE

(Original post by PetitePanda)
Sorry I did not see this because I didn’t get the notification - if you want me to see it, @ me or quote me. What GCSEs do you have and what a level subjects do you have? What year are you in?
CoronaCat
Rep:
?
(Original post by Joleee)
too painful to study if you don't have a genuine interest in it. i wouldn't make yourself miserable if you don't have to
it isn't my only interest, I have a deep personal fascination rhetoric and philosophy. I just also have a similar interest in technology and programing.

I didn't know that thing about professors on demand though, thanks!
CoronaCat
Rep:
?
(Original post by GabiAbi84)
post graduate conversion courses
would you still consider it a waste of a degree if it's for personal interest? I love to learn.
CoronaCat
Rep:
?
(Original post by EU Yakov)
probably? have you tried looking up the minimum requirements for these roles online??

yeah, since I didn't do any scientific a levels it's looking like I'm going to have to do a foundation year or something

I just worry I'll have trouble supporting myself during all of this learning. is that an issue people run into regularly when they're doing two degrees on top of eachother?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (48)
14.37%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (46)
13.77%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (121)
36.23%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (33)
9.88%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (68)
20.36%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
5.39%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise