Ashamed of living in a council house

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I lived in a council house my entire life, and also my dad is disabled and my mum cant speak English and both claim benefits. I feel so ashamed and its a mood killer. I would be feeling happy until i remember this. anyone else relate?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I lived in a council house my entire life, and also my dad is disabled and my mum cant speak English and both claim benefits. I feel so ashamed and its a mood killer. I would be feeling happy until i remember this. anyone else relate?
Would you prefer to have ,lived on the street.
Think yourself lucky, not everyone on TSR grows up in a castle.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by 999tigger)
Would you prefer to have ,lived on the street.
Think yourself lucky, not everyone on TSR grows up in a castle.
But everyone hates ppl who are on benefits and live in a council house. also my dad is rly disabled and kinda old and im a minor and so are my siblings and my mum legit cant speak english so if he dies *which i hope he doesnt' our lives would be ruined. im not only ashamed but scared
Anonymous #1
Bump
isabelmarant
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Please don't be ashamed of your parents - one day you'll look back and feel ashamed that you didn't spend more time with them, love them more etc. You only get one set of parents and you can't change the fact that your dad is disabled and your mum can't speak English - this doesn't mean they're worth any less. And abt the council house, there's nothing to be ashamed of. Yes some ppl have bad opinions about people who claim benefits but it's nothing to be embarrassed about because your dad (I presume) can't work.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by isabelmarant)
Please don't be ashamed of your parents - one day you'll look back and feel ashamed that you didn't spend more time with them, love them more etc. You only get one set of parents and you can't change the fact that your dad is disabled and your mum can't speak English - this doesn't mean they're worth any less. And abt the council house, there's nothing to be ashamed of. Yes some ppl have bad opinions about people who claim benefits but it's nothing to be embarrassed about because your dad (I presume) can't work.
Thanks this made me feel better. I just wish my parents had me younger and had some source of income
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
I’m on disability benefits (tho mum&dad both work and own the house). I feel guilty about having money given to me, so I do good deeds as much as I can and donate to charity when I can. Please don’t be ashamed of your circumstances, there’s no need to be.
Anonymous #1
I’m on disability benefits (tho mum&dad both work and own the house). I feel guilty about having money given to me, so I do good deeds as much as I can and donate to charity when I can. Please don’t be ashamed of your circumstances, there’s no need to be.
Thanks
isabelmarant
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks this made me feel better. I just wish my parents had me younger and had some source of income
Same, my parents had me really late as well and I felt embarrassed that my friends' parents are a lot younger than mine. I still kinda do sometimes, but there's no use worrying abt stuff u can't change i guess
username5194026
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Nothing wrong with it. You didnt choose the life. Rich people tend to take things for granted while poor people have a drive to succeed. All these billionaires came from *****y backgrounds. Find motivation and earn that 6 digit job in 10 years.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by thatman100)
Nothing wrong with it. You didnt choose the life. Rich people tend to take things for granted while poor people have a drive to succeed. All these billionaires came from *****y backgrounds. Find motivation and earn that 6 digit job in 10 years.
Thank you i agree
StarLinyx
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As long as your parents treated you ok, and did not neglect, abuse or beat you, then you should love and respect them. Being a parent is way harder than a teenager or young adult could imagine. As for living in council housing, I am afraid that is just the luck of the draw nature throws our way, which is why I have often said on TSR that top universities need to do more to help society by admitting students from council estates into courses like Medicine, Vet Medicine, Law etc. Your background should not stop you from achieving great things, but it sure makes things easier for some to go off the rails and turn to crime and gangs in some areas of London.
Ciel.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
well, your dad's disability isn't his fault. and learning a new language isn't easy so you shouldn't be ashamed of your parents. at least you guys don't need to worry about paying a crazy high rent etc. you have a safe place to stay, no need to worry about landlords etc.
Geraldthegoat
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Don’t be ashamed, there is nothing wrong with it at least u have a house some people are in overcrowded houses or are homeless. Please try to appreciate what u have
Nishigawa
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Which be happy you have a roof over your head.
SCIENCE :D
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by isabelmarant)
Well to be honest, you can change the fact that the mother can't speak English.
username2393237
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You shouldn’t be ashamed of your parents. What would you like to do in the future?
Krood
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Council housing should be much more widely available than it is. Nothing to be ashamed of.

As a society we should be proud to provide it for people who need it. Like the NHS.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Lots of the properly landlords today are the council tenants of yesteryear who played the long game.

Hell, I'd love to qualify for a council properly. Wait to till you trying paying private rent.
Mr T 999
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you're ashamed then use that as motivation to better yourself and your family lives. Work hard to get a good job or start business or whatever and become successful and make enough money where you can live in a nice house in a nice area. Become one of those rags to riches stories "from living on a council estate to becoming a millionaire".
Last edited by Mr T 999; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university communicated any last minute changes?

Yes, and they were what I was expecting (9)
17.65%
Yes, and they were not what I was hoping for (14)
27.45%
Yes, and they don't change my view on attending uni (3)
5.88%
No, I haven't received any communication (25)
49.02%

Watched Threads