The Student Room Group
Reply 1
ickle_katy
we had our first fire drill today. it was very cold. they then went and checked that every room was empty before they'd let us back in.

oh well, just thought id tell you.

love Katy ***

Yeah we did the same thing about a week ago - it wasn't as cold then.
Reply 2
loftx
Yeah we did the same thing about a week ago - it wasn't as cold then.

I'm a fire warden so i have to stay in with the alarms screaming in my ears until i've made sure everyone gets out!!!
Reply 3
Chicken
I'm a fire warden so i have to stay in with the alarms screaming in my ears until i've made sure everyone gets out!!!

thats silly

love Katy ***
Reply 4
ickle_katy
thats silly

love Katy ***

none as yet kt, but im mostly 9am starts
Reply 5
ickle_katy
we had our first fire drill today. it was very cold. they then went and checked that every room was empty before they'd let us back in.

love Katy ***

Yeah, we have had both a bomb evacuation (was not a drill, but turned out to be hoax call), which was very scary. It was right during the middle of one of the various hall parties in Freshers' week and one of the Imperial College security teams (the security here is so tight, there are even patrolling dog units and everything, I think there must be something top secret somewhere on campus, lol) comes charging in out of nowhere shouting for us to leave the building immediately so we all had to walk for about 5 minutes to the main campus and assemble there. The police had already cordoned off the road around my hall by the time we got out. My hall is right next to the Royal Albert Hall, and this is where the bomb scare was centred.

We also had a standard fire drill exercise but the fire alarms are incredibly annoying; you have a shrill whining noise interspersed with "In the interests of safety, please evacuate the building." in a very annoying american accent repeated every three seconds. I think there should be a competition for the most annoying fire/evacuation alarms...
Reply 6
ickle_katy
thats silly

love Katy ***

Well I obviously have to get out if I'm about to get toasted to death!!! But apparently its my job to know if other people are in, and to make sure the fire doors have closed properly (cos i live on the top floor, I have to check on my way down).
Reply 7
someone was smoking in their room at 12:30 am this morning, and the fire alarm went off. it was freezing, cold, subzero, frigid, etc etc (any synonyms of cold you can think of). god it was bad. and the alarm was so loud, and it went on and on and on.....
Reply 8
We had the standard test a few weeks ago, they gave us notice that it would beat 9am only they only pinned the notices up when everyone was asleep so nobody knew about it and people were in the shower and everything. I was not impressed but luckly just had a shower and was drying my hair but still had to go outside with soaking wet hair and a load of builders stood laughing and cheering the girls in pj's! :frown:
Reply 9
We had ours at 7.30am the other day, the only day when I don't have lectures, and therefore don't have to get up early. I was so annoyed. At least it wasn't at 4am though, like another hall here.
Reply 10
hhehe we had the fire brigade up here last night coz some idiot who's come to stay with his girlfrind set the alarms off at 2.15....the fire men were not ammused...

love Katy ***
Reply 11
The fire alarms have gone off several times here, once at about 6:20. They've put up a notice around Manor House saying that there haven't been any fire drills scheduled, cos of the amount of times the alarms have gone off. So, if they go off again, we have to treat them as real.
Reply 12
My maths teacher never lets us go to no fire drill, he's a joker! Oh well I'd rather do maths than stand in alphabetical order...
Reply 13
our fire drill was so badly organised, quite scarily so realy cos they didn't check who was outside etc so they would have no idea in a real fire if we were burning to death or not.
Reply 14
ickle_katy

love Katy ***

When I went to boarding school they were legally obliged to conduct a firedrill during the night.

As you can imagine this went down very well with students!
Reply 15
ickle_katy

love Katy ***

When I was at boarding school in North Somerset, we had fire drills at all possible times - at lunch, dinner, and of course early in the morning, 3:30 am was the earliest I think. That wasn't the only one though. We kinda go used to it, everyone wrapped themselves in their duvets and p*ssed around in the cold for half an hour until they let back in. No one takes these seriously anymore, apart from the housemaster of course. Actually quite worrying, isn't it? One time the fire alarm went out because the school kitchen was flooded... dunno why. Other causes included toasters, smokers and hoaxes. Scheduled fire drills were rare. I never had so many fire drills at any other school. It's almost a tradition there- when I went there a few weeks ago, there was one just an hour ot two after I arrived!