How to come to a unique conclusion?

Watch this thread
mslcrux
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am doing some preliminary research for my EPQ before I start Y13 in September. My working title is 'Should CRISPR/Cas9 be used to genetically engineer transgenic pigs for xenotransplantation?'. My research is going alright but I'm increasingly worried that my argument/essay will be too 'linear' or simple.

I don't really have a structure for the essay yet, but I thought I could outline why xenotransplantation is a necessary option/why pigs are good models, introduce CRISPR, introduce challenges e.g. accuracy/immunological barriers, evaluate different methods for the lack of organ donors, before and conclude whether it's worth trying to proceed with xenotransplantation.
I'm worried it'll be too descriptive of the technologies and not evaluative enough. From my research so far, I think my conclusion would be that research in xenotransplantation should continue (because other methods aren't long-term/underdeveloped/inaccurate) but more research needs to be done before clinical trials (which will happen in 2-3yrs), but that seems very basic.
I don't know if I'm overthinking, but I don't know if I should change my title. I still want to do CRISPR, but maybe focus on a human disease? Thing is, I've already started and completed the first two sections of the production log, so I don't know if it's worth it...
Sorry if this doesn't make sense.
Last edited by mslcrux; 1 year ago
999tigger
Badges: 19
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by mslcrux)
I am doing some preliminary research for my EPQ before I start Y13 in September. My working title is 'Should CRISPR/Cas9 be used to genetically engineer transgenic pigs for xenotransplantation?'. My research is going alright but I'm increasingly worried that my argument/essay will be too 'linear' or simple.

I don't really have a structure for the essay yet, but I thought I could outline why xenotransplantation is a necessary option/why pigs are good models, introduce CRISPR, introduce challenges e.g. accuracy/immunological barriers, evaluate different methods for the lack of organ donors, before and conclude whether it's worth trying to proceed with xenotransplantation.
I'm worried it'll be too descriptive of the technologies and not evaluative enough. From my research so far, I think my conclusion would be that research in xenotransplantation should continue (because other methods aren't long-term/underdeveloped/inaccurate) but more research needs to be done before clinical trials (which will happen in 2-3yrs), but that seems very basic.
I don't know if I'm overthinking, but I don't know if I should change my title. I still want to do CRISPR, but maybe focus on a human disease? Thing is, I've already started and completed the first two sections of the production log, so I don't know if it's worth it...
It is unique because it is your opinion based on your assessment analysis and investigation of the evidence.
The fact you are already deciding on the conclusion now shows poor analytical skills and a closed mind.
Everything flows from your mind map to essay plan and investigation.
aqeel27
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I did an EPQ on CRISPR as well and got an A*! Yes it is extremely important that your EPQ is evaluative and I feel like your question is great (and maybe if you want to narrow it even further) and your conclusion seems fine. Remember that most of EPQ is about the process and not the actual conclusion, don''t overthink it. So, as long as you show your thought process throughout your production log then it should be fine. You could include your worries in your log and it will show how reflective you are.
TTSSRR101
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by mslcrux)

CRISPR is one of the most common biology/genetic EPQ subjects so it’s going to be almost impossible to write something the examiner won’t have seen before
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (5)
17.24%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (3)
10.34%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
13.79%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (3)
10.34%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (7)
24.14%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (7)
24.14%

Watched Threads