Independent student- how is the loan amount assessed?

Watch
JoannaPolishGirl
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I will be starting University in September 2021 (deferred entry) at the age of 23.5.
I've been working full time since 18.5, initially on a pretty small salary (apprenticeship) but since the age of 19.5, on a 20k+ a year salary (always full time) and I have all the p60 and payslips to show this.

This means by the time it comes to applying for the maintenance loan, I've had over 3 years of full time work on a decent salary, meanwhile I was living with family members (sister, not parents) and paying a small board (200-300 pounds a month).

Please advise, based on the above, will I be able to apply as an independent student?

If so, what will be assessed as the basis for how much maintenance loan I can receive? Will my savings count into this or only the salary I receive? If its the salary for the last tax year before application, if I earn betwen 25-27k a year, does that mean I won't get the full amount of maintenance loan? I don't have a partner, I live with family members.

With the tuition fees loan, I take it this will be fully funded by a loan regardless of living situation or independent/dependent status, this is also my first degree.
Please advise on what is likely to happen in my case.
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by JoannaPolishGirl)
I will be starting University in September 2021 (deferred entry) at the age of 23.5.
I've been working full time since 18.5, initially on a pretty small salary (apprenticeship) but since the age of 19.5, on a 20k+ a year salary (always full time) and I have all the p60 and payslips to show this.

This means by the time it comes to applying for the maintenance loan, I've had over 3 years of full time work on a decent salary, meanwhile I was living with family members (sister, not parents) and paying a small board (200-300 pounds a month).

Please advise, based on the above, will I be able to apply as an independent student?

If so, what will be assessed as the basis for how much maintenance loan I can receive? Will my savings count into this or only the salary I receive? If its the salary for the last tax year before application, if I earn betwen 25-27k a year, does that mean I won't get the full amount of maintenance loan? I don't have a partner, I live with family members.

With the tuition fees loan, I take it this will be fully funded by a loan regardless of living situation or independent/dependent status, this is also my first degree.
Please advise on what is likely to happen in my case.
Hi Joanna, as you are under 25 - to receive the higher rate of funding you need to either provide your parents details or meet the independent student criteria http://ow.ly/q5mJ30oSfa5

If you have worked for 3 years then you can send in evidence such as 3 different P60s and our assessors will review the salary you earned to determine if it was enough money to support yourself, if our assessors determine you are independent then you will be awarded the maximum funding without your parents details.

In regards to how much you can receive, that depends where you are living. You can view all the figures here https://www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/...m-for-2021.pdf

If you are assessed as independent then as I say you will receive the maximum funding, your income doesn't affect the amount unless you have unearned income(rental income,bank interest etc) or your employer releases you study(pays you a salary to go to university).

Yes your household income doesn't affect the Tuition Fee Loan.
Thanks, Isaac
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (587)
34.13%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (710)
41.28%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (344)
20%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.59%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed