The Student Room Group

What's the best paid career in finance that you can get without a degree? (No sales)

I currently work in insurance and i'm 26 and have an 'ok' job and a comfortable career path to be earning around £35-40K around my early 30's and then bumping that up to £50-60K in my 40's. - This is in the loss adjusting industry.

I have a couple of insurance based qualifications too, but unfortunately flunked my A-Levels because I didn't want to go to University so didn't bother revising and got D-E's. - I did later down the line and went with a university that didn't care about A-Levels and obtained a Certification of Higher Education (which is pretty much worthless) in a worthless field and I totally regret picking the course I chose and have now wasted 2 years of my student finance and owe £20K+. (Long story, but involved the Police. No I don't have a C record.)

Anyway, despite my earlier shortfalls, I am actually quite smart when I put my mind to it and focus on something I want to do. I have mensa level IQ surprisingly as well. - Not that i'm bragging, quite the opposite. I can be lazy at times because my focus drifts.

I want to obtain a higher paying job in finance. I have no degree though and will be difficult for me to study for a degree since I live alone and have no family so will need to work.

Can anyone think of any routes I can go down to earn a higher salary?

The loss adjusting route seems ok, but it is more focused on construction knowledge rather than financial aptitude and i'm more of a numbers guy. (I don't want to do sales because it is soul destroying. I have won awards in sales but I would rather do something technical over something made for an extrovert. I'm a huge introvert.)

Any advice will be highly appreciated :smile:
'Finance'...
A fully qualified actuary pays pretty well but it’ll require a lot of studying to get there. You actually don’t need a degree although you’ll definitely need A level maths as well as maths beyond that level. You can find more details at https://www.actuaries.org.uk/become-actuary/how-become-actuary

If you think this might be for you, I’d definitely recommend trying to talk to a few actuaries informally to find out more about the field. It definitely takes commitment to qualify.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending