Is it bad im only going to uni to make new friends?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I want to do well with my degree but dont see myself going very far in life.
I mainly want to go uni to make new friends as im a bit of a loner in real life and dont know how much longer I could be alone for.

I really need to make irl friends.
username5360040
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Wow that's an expensive way to make friends. But anyway maybe in a university you might be able to meet more like-minded people and get on well, maybe some lifelong relationships even. While they don't necessarily will be there.
Arisapo
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Sorry to hear that.

In fairness I imagine many more people go with that outlook than you think. If your heart isn't probably in the degree or course you're doing, you may struggle, so make sure you're doing something you at least know you're committed to.

But branching out to meet people, join societies and make new friends is a very common reason why people want to go to uni in the first place.
RV3112
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I mainly want to go uni to make new friends as im a bit of a loner in real life and dont know how much longer I could be alone for.

There are cheaper and easier way to make friends.

But look, plenty of people go to uni for more than just the academics. They are looking for the social experience too, and there's nothing at all wrong with that. It should be part of your uni life. However, the desire to learn/advance your career needs to be at least part of your reason for going.
c3silKane14
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As long as want to.do.the degree as well, I see no problem. Aim high in life, even if you think You're not going to go.far. you may suprise yourself. I thought I wasn't going to be able to do.what I wanted after I failed my first year at college, and went straight into work.

I think it's worse when people jump into uni just because everyone else is, or they feel it's something they should do, without actually wanting to go.
econhelp525
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

I think what you're doing is perfectly fine! (:

You might not see yourself going very far now, but when you're at uni, hopefully all your new friends will help you find what direction you want to go in. So I think it's worth it because you do want to do well in your degree, and you can use that an all the new friends you make to do something positive with yourself. Just because you don't see it now, doesn't mean you won't in the future. I hope you find what you are looking for and get what you deserve.

Much love.
UnwantedKid
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Make new friends and lose most of them post-graduation.
wastedcuriosity
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
9k a year to make new friends?

There's plenty of other ways to make friends! I admit, part of the reason I wanted to go to uni was for the social aspect, but the main reason I wanted to go is so I could study something interesting, and make a career out of it. I'm not sure it's worth it just to go to make friends, that you sadly probably won't see much after uni ends
username2393237
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It’s a bit silly and nothing is guaranteed. You should decide what you really want to do and work on your self-esteem.
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My worry would be that when others pick up you're not taking the course seriously they'll distance themselves, seen that a few times.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Hi,

Just remember university is not for everyone! You may be very smart, yet forcing yourself to do a degree that you don’t want may make you feel tired after a while.

University is great to make friends, especially with different societies. However, do you want to spend the next 4 years in education and getting yourself in debt if you don’t want to go to university for the right reasons?

Maybe sit down and think about what you're good at, and maybe you’ll find a degree you want to do? Remember university is hard work, it's more of an investment of your time and money. You do not want to go to university and then leave after a year just because you’re forcing yourself to do so.

Remember you can meet people outside of university too! On social media by joining groups, at work or apprenticeships or even local activities such a local sports clubs. Even joining stuff such as Zumba or anything! Or you could take a year out if you have the money to do so and travel and meet people too.

If you have any more questions then let me know! Good luck with whatever you decided to do 😊 😊

Marlena- Official Student Rep 😊
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
I went to uni and focused so much on the work I didn't form any long-term friendships.

In all fairness to me, people on my course were party mad (geography) and a lot were racist or homophobic. only in third year did I really find people I got on with but they were on different courses with their own friendship groups and it just didn't work out.

my masters year was fantastic and I made some really good friends there, but they all live across the world.

considering doing another masters not only because I've moved careers and would love the course but I would use the opportunity to meet new people and make new friends for sure its all part of it.
RandomTennisfan
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There are many different ways you can make friends, which doesn’t require going to university. For instance taking a gap year working, meeting new people that way and joining social groups. Not saying uni isn’t a good place to meet new people, but it’s not what it’s cracked up to be. People can be fickle and will form only certain friendship groups, plus not many want to stay in touch post graduation. At least make sure your course is something you’re at least a little infested in-otherwise it’ll be a long three years-friends or no friends.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (32)
21.48%
Less motivated (117)
78.52%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed