The Student Room Group

Foundation year fail?

is it possible to fail an foundation year ?
I've been told by my tutor that my work didn't go in as a fail but I'm worried if it could come out as a fail.
Original post by Anonymous
is it possible to fail an foundation year ?
I've been told by my tutor that my work didn't go in as a fail but I'm worried if it could come out as a fail.

Yes.
If Tutor says its not a fail then it would be less likely to end that way.
Yes, about half of the people on my foundation year failed. They're not just there as pay for entry, you do have to actually demonstrate that you're capable of doing the course to their satisfaction.

I know a few of those people who failed ended up being accepted by other unis though, so that's a potential option if you have a near-miss.
You can fail a foundation year, and the % needed to pass is often higher than 40% (which is a standard undergrad pass mark).
Reply 4
Honestly speaking, if you did fail your foundation year or even came close to it without any personal circumstances impacting you, you should honestly consider not pursuing a degree.
Reply 5
Thank you for all the replies
Reply 6
Thank you for the replies .It isn't the case of I can't do the course it self I'm just anxious about passing as I have had a few personal issues over the year which have affected the course and I am quite anixious person so I tend to worry alot. The main thing I'm worried about is being told that it wasn't submitted as a fail and then not having the external examiners approve or agree that it is a pass
foundation year is like repeating A-level.

have you done A-level?
It's better to enter a 3 years undergraduate degree.
I am sure a lot of lower rank universities would take 2 A-level at C , or if not lower through clearing.

Foundation year isn't worth it in my opinion at all. But if you fail you should be able to resit so there is no worry. I am guessing you just need 40% in foundation year which doesn't count toward final classification anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest