The Student Room Group

Boyfriend is trying to force his political and diet beliefs on me

What do I do? He found out I am a Tory and also voted for brexit, and we had a big argument on that saying i am destroying our future, this really upset me as I don't mind what other people vote for and I respect their opinions but he made me out to be wrong and said he's not sure if he can stay with me. Also he recently became vegan again I had no problem with this and even offered to help and cook something for him but he wanted me to go vegan as well but I refused and said I am happy as I am and he again had a go at me for being selfish and not caring for the environment he also said I will get cancer soon. He never used to be like this but recently he's snapping at me for everything I do, i feel like he's jumped on the bandwagon of a couple of his friends. He's not spoke to me in 3 days other than grunting at me or making a snide comment, I feel like finishing it but we live together in a house, can anyone give me advice what to do?

Scroll to see replies

It is going to be difficult but I think the relationship is doomed. Better you end it first.
Original post by Anonymous
What do I do? He found out I am a Tory and also voted for brexit, and we had a big argument on that saying i am destroying our future, this really upset me as I don't mind what other people vote for and I respect their opinions but he made me out to be wrong and said he's not sure if he can stay with me. Also he recently became vegan again I had no problem with this and even offered to help and cook something for him but he wanted me to go vegan as well but I refused and said I am happy as I am and he again had a go at me for being selfish and not caring for the environment he also said I will get cancer soon. He never used to be like this but recently he's snapping at me for everything I do, i feel like he's jumped on the bandwagon of a couple of his friends. He's not spoke to me in 3 days other than grunting at me or making a snide comment, I feel like finishing it but we live together in a house, can anyone give me advice what to do?

He sounds toxic. Maybe you should try talking to him about it. Is he nice in other aspects of your relationship?
Sounds like you should break up with him
Ah well, Voting and Opinion aren't the same btw, because when you vote you're trying to force a change, no one votes for changes that only affect them.

Do both of you a favour and dump him. The only thing more tedious to disagree on would be religion. Could you not just join young conservatives?

You mean you live in the same room as a shared house or just your house?

Shared room leave.
Own room in shared house stay.
Shared flat just you and him agree for one of you to stay or both leave.

Its a ridiculous thing to find out about someone you go out with, presumably sleep with or move in with.

Better due diligence in future.
Reply 6
Original post by barnetlad
It is going to be difficult but I think the relationship is doomed. Better you end it first.

Yeah I think you are right for the best I should just end it my parents aren't keen on him either
He sounds toxic. Maybe you should try talking to him about it. Is he nice in other aspects of your relationship?

He used to be so lovely at the start of the year he would boast about the size of the steak he has for dinner now he's flipping out saying I don't care about the animals and environment, thing is I even offered to help him when he suddenly went vegan and cook him a vegan meal as I am a qualified chef
Reply 7
Original post by 999tigger
Do both of you a favour and dump him. The only thing more tedious to disagree on would be religion. Could you not just join young conservatives?

You mean you live in the same room as a shared house or just your house?

Shared room leave.
Own room in shared house stay.
Shared flat just you and him agree for one of you to stay or both leave.

Its a ridiculous thing to find out about someone you go out with, presumably sleep with or move in with.

Better due diligence in future.

We rent a house there's one other couple in the house

left-wing people are always like this. they don't tolerate dissent. unfortunately it will be hard for you to find a similar age Tory so you're best off telling him straight what he's doing wrong
Yeah I think you are right for the best I should just end it my parents aren't keen on him either

He used to be so lovely at the start of the year he would boast about the size of the steak he has for dinner now he's flipping out saying I don't care about the animals and environment, thing is I even offered to help him when he suddenly went vegan and cook him a vegan meal as I am a qualified chef

maybe hes going through a phase or something. I think you shouldnt jump to conclusions fast or you might end up losing something genuine.

If your parents arent keen on him then you should probably think it through. unfortunately parents tend to be right
Original post by A Rolling Stone
left-wing people are always like this. they don't tolerate dissent. unfortunately it will be hard for you to find a similar age Tory so you're best off telling him straight what he's doing wrong

Right wing people love dissent :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:
You don't seem compatible or happy together.
How long is left on your contract for rental accommodation?

I dated a few guys who tried to force their noisy activism, politics, religion or dietary preferences upon me.
I ended the relationships and cut contact with the exes as soon as I'd had enough of the noise nuisance or fanatical dogmatism.
We rent a house there's one other couple in the house

1.Politics you will never agree on.
2. Expecting you to turn vegan as well is imo too serious a call.
Original post by londonmyst
You don't seem compatible or happy together.
How long is left on your contract for rental accommodation?

I dated a few guys who tried to force their noisy activism, politics, religion or dietary preferences upon me.
I ended the relationships and cut contact with the exes as soon as I'd had enough of the noise nuisance or fanatical dogmatism.

I have to give a month's notice if I want to leave I just feel a bit rubbish moving back in with my parents but they said they would happily let me come back if I was in that position I just feel bad for them but yeah I am miserable lately he just puts me down he even got upset when I got a sausage roll from greggs

Tell him to go and **** himself then and stop letting other people take your dignity and life away from you in future. You came here for the truth and thats what has to happen for you to enjoy an autominous existence on this planet.
(edited 3 years ago)
I’m left wing but his behaviour isn’t okay. I don’t mind what people vote for, personally I have my own beliefs and other people have theirs and that’s ok! I do not shame others for what they voted for and neither should he.

Before doing anything big like break up with him, explain your feelings and talk about it. If nothing gets resolved, do what you need to do. And if that’s to break up, go for it!

You’re allowed to have your own lifestyle and opinions and it’s wrong of him to force his views on to you! :smile:
Original post by pepsimaxcherry
I’m left wing but his behaviour isn’t okay. I don’t mind what people vote for, personally I have my own beliefs and other people have theirs and that’s ok! I do not shame others for what they voted for and neither should he.

Before doing anything big like break up with him, explain your feelings and talk about it. If nothing gets resolved, do what you need to do. And if that’s to break up, go for it!

You’re allowed to have your own lifestyle and opinions and it’s wrong of him to force his views on to you! :smile:

I already tried to explain what I feel while saying i didn't mind what he voted for etc but he just yelled at me and said he's not even sure he can look at me anymore we haven't had sex for nearly 2 months. I don't have any issues with people who vote Labour and remain it's up to them but he shames me for my choices
Honestly just talk to him about it and if it doesnt work then break up with him. It sounds like he doesnt deserve you
he sounds like a bit of a prick you should just break up with him
Honestly just talk to him about it and if it doesnt work then break up with him. It sounds like he doesnt deserve you

I honestly feel like telling him it's over he didn't even come home last night and he's out again now

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending