I am so worried... please advise me!

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
So I have my driving test next wednesday and because I plan on taking the test in my own car, I haven't had any lessons for about a year and a half (I had 25 before this and then just drove in my car)
So, for the last 2-3 weeks I've been driving pretty well and haven't made any major errors and today, I made about 5 major errors! Like I'm really confident on driving on the fast roads/ major roads and am normally okay driving inside the more built up areas but today something was just completely off!
I made so many mistakes, like I seemed to be turning corners too fast (especially turning right into a side road), I messed up my 3 point turn each time (hit the curb once and ended up doing it in 4-5 tries ), I was also really bad at giving way for some reason and stopped in really bad places which were obstructing people..., I also somehow messed up my gears so much and often put the car in reverse instead of first and accidentally left the car in first when I stopped to park and it jolted forward really fast... I just made so many errors today and these were the kind of mistakes that I was doing when I first started. I really shouldn't be making them anymore and hadn't for a while
I have had almost 150 hours of practice by now (and failed twice due to small things but they were still majors) and was really confident in driving, but today's whole experience has been so shattering for me that its making me rethink my test readiness and I am literally on the verge of tears at how bad I was today
I have so many questions:
I've noticed that when I'm passing cars parked on the side, I'm practically driving on the other side of the road for like 2-3 seconds, is this allowed or should I move in more and be central?
With 3 point turns, does it HAVE to be 3 point because my car is pretty big and only rarely does it ever actually do it in 3, it normally takes 4-6 times...
Is stopping in an inappropriate position to give way a major? Like I give way but the car in front often has to slow down quite a lot to get through and I also feel like I'm just too far from the curb
Is turning too fast a major? Like if there is a car approaching the turn and I turn too fast, that would be a serious fault?
I'm just so done with practicing and am ready to do my test but today has made me realise that when it actually comes down to driving in the built up areas, clearly I am just not as good as I thought I was and am obstructing so many people
I just wanna pass so bad but today's experience was just so traumatising that it's really knocked my confidence down...
should I solely focus on built up areas for the next couple of days? Like I am fine with most of the other stuff, I just tend to be either too cautious or not cautious enough in built up areas, what speed should I stay at? I know it's a 30mph zone but that's too fast so I normally stay at 15-20 but would that be too slow???
Please help me, I am just so devastated by my bad driving today (my mum said it was okay but I would not pass the test) that I am literally on the verge of tears
Like I literally did not sleep the whole night yesterday because I was thinking of everything that could go wrong in the test and I think I freaked myself out more than I expected and am now questioning my driving ability
I really think that if I fail this time around, I might just give up because after 150 hours of driving, I really should not be making major errors anymore and should really be able to pass the test
Anonymous #1
I just cannot believe how many mistakes I made, it wasn't even due to nerves or anything, it was just bad driving in general, I don't really freak out when I make a mistake and get over it pretty quick but I think I made like 5 majors and like 20 minors today or something
I just want to pass so bad this time around
I am a good driver but something today was just so off and I cannot work out why that was... I was so consistent until today and then bam, everything I did well in the last 2 weeks just went down the drain and shattered my confidence so much
I actually felt pretty good about the test until the disaster driving I did today
How can I get over this so that I am back to being confident for Wednesday?
I have gone up to 70mph on dual carriageways, have perfect parallel parking almost every single time, haven't stalled at a hill start for the past month, always get my bay parking right, am generally good at getting up to the speed limit, I barely ever hesitate at roundabouts anymore, can do all the manoeuvres and because of all of this, I was like 'yes, I am ready' but today was just so so bad that I am just not feeling too confident anymore
Anonymous #2
Report 2 months ago
TROLL
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Anonymous)
TROLL
I'm really not this is a genuine concern for me
Anonymous #1
TROLL
I do not think you understand how important it is for me to pass this time around, like I have no option but to pass otherwise it will create some real issues with my family schedules and be so inconvenient for them
Anonymous #1
I overthink driving way too much, like when I'm driving its fine but as soon as I come home/ go to bed, I will be up for literal hours analysing everything that went wrong or that could go wrong and this has freaked me out so much
I would be so grateful if someone could answer the questions I had
BlueEyedGirl_
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Learning to drive is stressful but it sounds like you’re really panicking, so firstly take a breath!

I’d say it seems you’re too focused on driving for the test - think less about what’s a ‘major’ and just focus on driving safely, because if you drive safely, you’ll pass. So for example, with road positioning, just make sure you’re far enough away from whatever you’re overtaking (whether that’s a cyclist, or a parked car for example) and then get back on your side of the road as soon as possible and safely. If you can’t overtake safely, then wait for the right time.

It’s hard for people on here to give specific advice on your driving because we haven’t seen it, but just remember to drive safely and considerately - even if you make a mistake, as long as you are careful, fix it quickly and safely and are aware of hazards around you, then that’s the most important thing
Anonymous #1
(Original post by BlueEyedGirl_)
Learning to drive is stressful but it sounds like you’re really panicking, so firstly take a breath!

I’d say it seems you’re too focused on driving for the test - think less about what’s a ‘major’ and just focus on driving safely, because if you drive safely, you’ll pass. So for example, with road positioning, just make sure you’re far enough away from whatever you’re overtaking (whether that’s a cyclist, or a parked car for example) and then get back on your side of the road as soon as possible and safely. If you can’t overtake safely, then wait for the right time.

It’s hard for people on here to give specific advice on your driving because we haven’t seen it, but just remember to drive safely and considerately - even if you make a mistake, as long as you are careful, fix it quickly and safely and are aware of hazards around you, then that’s the most important thing
I think you're right, I am way too focused on passing and driving well for the test, like when I'm just kind of driving for the fun of it, I do so much better but today I was way more focused on doing a perfect drive that I guess I ended up making too many mistakes?
I might try and drive with a more 'fun' mindset rather than focusing on driving perfectly, I do tend to forget that driving is ultimately a privilege and is really more of a leisure activity however essential it is, I'll try and be more relaxed and less focused on the mistakes and maybe just drive and pay more attention on what's infront of me instead of what mistakes I have made
When stopping to give way to cars on the side, is it better to be really close to the curb? I just kind of steer slightly so I'm out of the way and feel like I don't give enough space
Also with a 3 point turn, is it alright if the whole thing isn't done in three points?
TTSSRR101
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I’ve struggled to learn to drive, I have dyspraxia so it makes it hard, so you’re not the only one who struggles. If anything you actually sound skilled so I don’t understand why you’re complaining. Are you a troll?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by TTSSRR101)
I’ve struggled to learn to drive, I have dyspraxia so it makes it hard, so you’re not the only one who struggles. If anything you actually sound skilled so I don’t understand why you’re complaining. Are you a troll?
Nono, its not that I am bad at driving, its just this particular drive I did today was just so sub par that its making me question my skill level
Have you passed?
TTSSRR101
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Nono, its not that I am bad at driving, its just this particular drive I did today was just so sub par that its making me question my skill level
Have you passed?
Not yet, got my test in Sep. Everyone has lessons where they come back feeling defeated. You don’t need to post 1000 long comments about it.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by TTSSRR101)
Not yet, got my test in Sep. Everyone has lessons where they come back feeling defeated. You don’t need to post 1000 long comments about it.
Yeah... its just this time I am DETERMINED to pass so feel like I've developed this really unhealthy state of mind where all I'm doing is trying not to make a mistake instead of just enjoying it, its really bad, I feel like I just need to calm down and enjoy the drive and just kind of be planning ahead instead of thinking about trying to have a perfect drive
If I fail again, I will literally be so upset, I feel like I will be stuck in this really unhealthy state of mind if I don't pass and it will be really bad for me and my health
I am definitely overthinking and I'm sure it will be fine but I just wanna pass so bad now that I've become too obsessed with having the perfect drive
Anonymous #1
I booked my test for 1pm and apparently that is a bad time because people will be rushing to get back to work and apparently people drive more dangerously... I should have just taken the 11am time and not tried to be too smart and go for 1pm
I have a feeling I am set up for failure
Xarao
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I booked my test for 1pm and apparently that is a bad time because people will be rushing to get back to work and apparently people drive more dangerously... I should have just taken the 11am time and not tried to be too smart and go for 1pm
I have a feeling I am set up for failure
You're setting up your whole life for failure with that mindset.
TTSSRR101
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Xarao)
You're setting up your whole life for failure with that mindset.
Yeah. Mines at 1pm, big whoop
Anonymous #1
Ah I’m just stressing for no reason, I tend to overthink a lot when it comes to driving
I’m just gonna have to try really hard to just kind of enjoy the drive and be more aware instead of focusing on the mistakes or not being able to do certain manoeuvres in the way they’re meant to be...
my mum has been teaching me and she thinks I’m test ready so we booked test in March and it got rescheduled to next week, is it worth doing a mock test or should I just sit the actual test and see what happens?
overalltea
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
If you see a forum where people are asking for information, advice, or maybe just a bit of a vent, of course you're going to feel like it's a safe space. To leap on someone who clearly has a lot of anxiety happening and call them a troll so quickly is a bit uncalled for.

As for your last question anon, I think it's definitely worth having a mock first. It'll prepare you for potential test roads, your instructor can go over your faults with you, and hopefully you will be able to correct them before the test.
TheDE
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
So I have my driving test next wednesday and because I plan on taking the test in my own car, I haven't had any lessons for about a year and a half (I had 25 before this and then just drove in my car)
So, for the last 2-3 weeks I've been driving pretty well and haven't made any major errors and today, I made about 5 major errors! Like I'm really confident on driving on the fast roads/ major roads and am normally okay driving inside the more built up areas but today something was just completely off!
I made so many mistakes, like I seemed to be turning corners too fast (especially turning right into a side road), I messed up my 3 point turn each time (hit the curb once and ended up doing it in 4-5 tries ), I was also really bad at giving way for some reason and stopped in really bad places which were obstructing people..., I also somehow messed up my gears so much and often put the car in reverse instead of first and accidentally left the car in first when I stopped to park and it jolted forward really fast... I just made so many errors today and these were the kind of mistakes that I was doing when I first started. I really shouldn't be making them anymore and hadn't for a while
I have had almost 150 hours of practice by now (and failed twice due to small things but they were still majors) and was really confident in driving, but today's whole experience has been so shattering for me that its making me rethink my test readiness and I am literally on the verge of tears at how bad I was today
I have so many questions:
I've noticed that when I'm passing cars parked on the side, I'm practically driving on the other side of the road for like 2-3 seconds, is this allowed or should I move in more and be central?
With 3 point turns, does it HAVE to be 3 point because my car is pretty big and only rarely does it ever actually do it in 3, it normally takes 4-6 times...
Is stopping in an inappropriate position to give way a major? Like I give way but the car in front often has to slow down quite a lot to get through and I also feel like I'm just too far from the curb
Is turning too fast a major? Like if there is a car approaching the turn and I turn too fast, that would be a serious fault?
I'm just so done with practicing and am ready to do my test but today has made me realise that when it actually comes down to driving in the built up areas, clearly I am just not as good as I thought I was and am obstructing so many people
I just wanna pass so bad but today's experience was just so traumatising that it's really knocked my confidence down...
should I solely focus on built up areas for the next couple of days? Like I am fine with most of the other stuff, I just tend to be either too cautious or not cautious enough in built up areas, what speed should I stay at? I know it's a 30mph zone but that's too fast so I normally stay at 15-20 but would that be too slow???
Please help me, I am just so devastated by my bad driving today (my mum said it was okay but I would not pass the test) that I am literally on the verge of tears
Like I literally did not sleep the whole night yesterday because I was thinking of everything that could go wrong in the test and I think I freaked myself out more than I expected and am now questioning my driving ability
I really think that if I fail this time around, I might just give up because after 150 hours of driving, I really should not be making major errors anymore and should really be able to pass the test
Can't be bothered to read all the posts here so I'll just reply to this one. Use as much road as you want to pass cars as long as there are no oncoming vehicles.
Stop practicing the 3 point turn, it's not a maneuver that has been done for the past 3 years. We do forward park, reverse park, reverse on the right or parallel park.
The give way fault you refer to is a fault for judgement meeting oncoming traffic, move further over to the left. Turning too fast again depends how fast, if approaching a junction to turn out this could be junctions approach speed or junctions obs if you haven't given yourself enough time to look, or use of speed turning in. just go slower? 15-20 in a 30 is unacceptably slow, this would result in a habitual fault for appropriate speed. The limit is 30, 25 is safe. Below 23 you will be looking at driver faults and below 18 may be serious with following traffic.
Last edited by TheDE; 2 months ago
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Why would you give up? What would that achieve? So you fail? So what? Do the test again! I'll let Will Smith have the last word on failure
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r1Gy5YjBMvk
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (33)
18.33%
I'm not sure (5)
2.78%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (61)
33.89%
I have already dropped out (3)
1.67%
I'm not a current university student (78)
43.33%

Watched Threads