personal statement - books

Watch this thread
satsun
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
In my main paragraphs, I've talked about books, gave my opinion, gave an alternative opinion, how my opinion could ripen if I study further. But this is it, I haven't spoke about it A-Levels as I just think it's a bit cliché (I learn research and analytical skills). Is it too boring to just discuss books?

In my non-academic section I have discussed skills gained from other activities.
Lau2en _
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
It’s not too boring, don’t worry, just try and relate as much to the course as you possibly can and maybe try and say how this lead you to do further research into a particular area such as an article or podcast if you feel it’s too book related. It doesn’t really matter what you talk about as long as you related it to the course and show your enthusiasm to the subject. Maybe briefly mention your A Levels to say how a particular area in them lead for you to read the book. For your non academic skills, just make sure you have related it to the course, sorry if this sounds harsh but they honestly don’t care whether you’ve played an instrument for 10 years or not, all they care about is whether you have an enthusiasm and are right for the course.
satsun
Rep:
(Original post by Lau2en _)
It’s not too boring, don’t worry, just try and relate as much to the course as you possibly can and maybe try and say how this lead you to do further research into a particular area such as an article or podcast if you feel it’s too book related. It doesn’t really matter what you talk about as long as you related it to the course and show your enthusiasm to the subject. Maybe briefly mention your A Levels to say how a particular area in them lead for you to read the book. For your non academic skills, just make sure you have related it to the course, sorry if this sounds harsh but they honestly don’t care whether you’ve played an instrument for 10 years or not, all they care about is whether you have an enthusiasm and are right for the course.
I totally understand thank you. I’m going for the 85/15 on academic/non-academic content. I’ve spoke about how the books I’ve read have really fleshed out my A-Level learning and made me understand them more. I have an ongoing theme and everything links back to the theme (which is a module in Year 2 of the course).
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
You don't need to talk about your A Levels - focus on your interest in your chosen course It is better to show interest in a few (2-3) things, rather than one
satsun
Rep:
(Original post by Interrobang)
You don't need to talk about your A Levels - focus on your interest in your chosen course It is better to show interest in a few (2-3) things, rather than one
Thank you. I have 3 books to mention and really go into detail on by linking it to my course. However, should I talk about other things (e.g podcasts) or are books okay?
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by satsun)
Thank you. I have 3 books to mention and really go into detail on by linking it to my course. However, should I talk about other things (e.g podcasts) or are books okay?
It doesn't matter if they are books or podcasts or anything, as long as they are relevant
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (12)
34.29%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (12)
34.29%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
5.71%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (1)
2.86%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (2)
5.71%
I’m starting to consider my university options (5)
14.29%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
2.86%

Watched Threads