ravi.g94
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I am an international student and wish to do Msc Psychology Conversion course this september /October in London as my relative stays there.

I would like to know if i would be able to land a job right afterwards,if i perform decent enough. I would like to work before going on to further my education.

Should i chose a Birkbeck/Brunel over say a kingston/middlssex? Will it enhance my job prospects?

Do employers readily hire Msc Psychology conversiom course graduates with no work ex?
Will BPS accredition be enough for the employers or the prestige of the university also matter?

Pls advise. Thanks in advance.
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I definitely recommend getting as much work experience as you can. Most candidates applying for jobs will have some kind of experience so it's important you're on a level playing field.
ravi.g94
Rep:
?
(Original post by bones-mccoy)
I definitely recommend getting as much work experience as you can. Most candidates applying for jobs will have some kind of experience so it's important you're on a level playing field.
Msc psychology conversion pass outs will have no relevant job experience my friend.
bones-mccoy
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by ravi.g94)
Msc psychology conversion pass outs will have no relevant job experience my friend.
You've answered your own question then - you'll have to wait until you get experience before applying for jobs. I did a conversion course, got a years worth of experience and now I'm finishing off my MSc.
ravi.g94
Rep:
?
You've answered your own question then - you'll have to wait until you get experience before applying for jobs. I did a conversion course, got a years worth of experience and now I'm finishing off my MSc.
But university websites mention scope of employment after the course and that many students have been employed research assistants, in nhs etc.....
Pls respond only if u have course specific information.
ravi.g94
Rep:
?
Everyone knowa what u are saying my friend. It is common sense.
The question concerns only with Msc Psychology Conversion course. If you have information regarding the specific course, only then comment. Otherwise you are hijacking this thread of mine.
bones-mccoy
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Everyone knowa what u are saying my friend. It is common sense.
The question concerns only with Msc Psychology Conversion course. If you have information regarding the specific course, only then comment. Otherwise you are hijacking this thread of mine.
I mean I've literally done a psychology conversion course so I'd imagine I have a fairly decent amount of insight into it but if you don't want to listen to advice then maybe don't post asking for it?
ravi.g94
Rep:
?
I mean I've literally done a psychology conversion course so I'd imagine I have a fairly decent amount of insight into it but if you don't want to listen to advice then maybe don't post asking for it?
So after the course ....did you apply for a job? Did u get any? Did employers show interest?
ravi.g94
Rep:
?
Check out the attachments pls
bones-mccoy
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
So after the course ....did you apply for a job? Did u get any? Did employers show interest?
Nope, I got some work experience and then did an MSc in Forensic Psychology. I've almost finished my course so I'm applying for roles at the moment.
username5365206
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Universities might state some of the routes past graduates have gone down following a conversion course, however, realistically most of these roles mentioned will only be available to people with a conversion and wider experience such as volunteering and/or a further Master's degree as bones-mccoy mentions. Psychology is such a competitive area with few opportunities in the NHS which is why I'd argue that you'd be very lucky to go straight into a research or assistant post in the NHS post conversion. It's just not enough on it's own in the majority of cases.

It all depends on what job you want to do. Many require further study beyond an UG degree or conversion Master's. I'd recommend researching the different roles you might be interested in then focusing your questions on what exactly you need to get into that role.

As long as your conversion is BPS-accredited, which institution you study with is unlikely to influence your employment prospects UNLESS they offer placements/experience as part of their course.
marinade
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
There are around 40,000 graduates a year and 10,000 Psychology MScs leaving uni ever year.

Clearly the vast majority don't literally go onto jobs like Assistant Psychologist or Research Assistant straight away.

The largest career destination for psychology graduates is probably support worker, or if lumped into one low paid 3rd sector stuff along with retail and hospitality. Universities don't put this on their website as the numbers signing up for courses would be lower.
marinade
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Do employers readily hire Msc Psychology conversiom course graduates with no work ex?
If someone has literally no work experience they will very likely (and sadly as I don't want that) end up unemployed. This is the case normally, at the moment we're basically already in the middle of a gigantic recession.

In 2020 the world has gone whoosh, the amount on the CVs of 3rd year undergraduates vastly exceeds even those of 5 years ago.

Work experience is far more than some cushy placement, or what the university recommends you do, or being an AP or whatever. It can be a large number of things which you need to think about how those skills match the job you are applying for and be able to explain it on the application form and in an interview.
ravi.g94
Rep:
?
Nope, I got some work experience and then did an MSc in Forensic Psychology. I've almost finished my course so I'm applying for roles at the moment.
Work experience means you got a job right?! Is there a difference?
ravi.g94
Rep:
?
(Original post by ChangeDirection)
Universities might state some of the routes past graduates have gone down following a conversion course, however, realistically most of these roles mentioned will only be available to people with a conversion and wider experience such as volunteering and/or a further Master's degree as bones-mccoy mentions. Psychology is such a competitive area with few opportunities in the NHS which is why I'd argue that you'd be very lucky to go straight into a research or assistant post in the NHS post conversion. It's just not enough on it's own in the majority of cases.

It all depends on what job you want to do. Many require further study beyond an UG degree or conversion Master's. I'd recommend researching the different roles you might be interested in then focusing your questions on what exactly you need to get into that role.

As long as your conversion is BPS-accredited, which institution you study with is unlikely to influence your employment prospects UNLESS they offer placements/experience as part of their course.
Oh man. That would be a problem. My tier 4 visa for one year of conversion course will extend into a 2 year tier 2 work permit. I suppose i cant further study during this 2 year work permit.

How will i sustain myself if i dont work there.
bones-mccoy
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Work experience means you got a job right?! Is there a difference?
No, my work experience is voluntary so unpaid
ravi.g94
Rep:
?
No, my work experience is voluntary so unpaid
Oh i see. For how long u worked and where?
So are u saying that u were forced in a sense to enrol for forensic psychology masters as u couldnt find a paying job after conversion?
bones-mccoy
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Oh i see. For how long u worked and where?
So are u saying that u were forced in a sense to enrol for forensic psychology masters as u couldnt find a paying job after conversion?
I work in a prison as a young offenders mentor, been there just over 2 years now

Not really, I decided I wanted to go into Forensic Psychology in my final year of uni but my undergraduate wasn't in psychology, hence the conversion. The MSc was always going to happen, I just needed some kind of psychology background before applying.
Last edited by bones-mccoy; 2 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (135)
14.61%
I'm not sure (40)
4.33%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (280)
30.3%
I have already dropped out (24)
2.6%
I'm not a current university student (445)
48.16%

Watched Threads