Any other recent graduates struggling to find a job (and any Economics grads)

Watch
anonymous_7899
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
As the title says.

I know that times are very tough right now and almost everyone's in the same boat, but I'm just really worried right now about the future. I just graduated from a RG uni with a First in Economics but I literally can't find anything that's suitable and I've even tried my university's career newsletters and Linkedin but still nothing.

Anyone else in the same position? And if so, what are your plans?
Last edited by anonymous_7899; 1 month ago
I Closed My Eyes
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by anonymous_7899)
As the title says.

I know that times are very tough right now and almost everyone's in the same boat, but I'm just really worried right now about the future. I just graduated from a RG uni with a First in Economics but I literally can't find anything that's suitable and I've even tried my university's career newsletters and Linkedin but still nothing.

What job are you applying for? It's going to be hard as many graduate programmes and entry level opportunities have been postponed till next year September 2021. I've currently lost my job because of Covid-19 and now just looking for other entry level opportunities.
royalty1702
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My heart goes out to you guys. This year must have been rough for many grads looking for jobs.

Wishing you guys all the best!
Last edited by royalty1702; 1 week ago
anonymous_7899
Rep:
?
(Original post by I Closed My Eyes)
What job are you applying for? It's going to be hard as many graduate programmes and entry level opportunities have been postponed till next year September 2021. I've currently lost my job because of Covid-19 and now just looking for other entry level opportunities.
Entry level economist jobs, finance jobs, accountancy, etc. I got pretty close with an interview a couple months ago (which was a virtual assessment centre due to the circumstances), but it had a report, exam and presentation which I had been struggling to prepare for since I could barely study for uni exams at home and really needed a library. But what can I do, it's just a bit unfortunate.

Oh no! What was the job you lost? And do you mind me asking what subject you studied.
anonymous_7899
Rep:
?
(Original post by royalty1702)
My heart goes out to you guys. This year must have been rough for many grades looking for jobs.

Wishing you guys all the best!
It really is 😭
Muserock
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I qualified as a teacher this year but there's been less jobs advertised. I'm hoping to pick up some supply work and will also be studying for a Masters.
iodo345
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As the title says.

Yes psychology grad got a 2.2 hated university tbh.
No idea what I will do but know I am being rejected for jobs left right and centre.

Only people I know who have jobs have parental connections or help to move to London etc.

If you don't have some advantages like this it is a lot more difficult.
anonymous_7899
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muserock)
I qualified as a teacher this year but there's been less jobs advertised. I'm hoping to pick up some supply work and will also be studying for a Masters.
Wish you all the best with that. I wish I could do Masters but I don't have enough work experience for the unis I wanted to apply for (hence I was hoping for job in the sector this year to boost my chances).
anonymous_7899
Rep:
?
(Original post by iodo345)
Yes psychology grad got a 2.2 hated university tbh.
No idea what I will do but know I am being rejected for jobs left right and centre.

Only people I know who have jobs have parental connections or help to move to London etc.

If you don't have some advantages like this it is a lot more difficult.
Same here, a lot of people from my uni have had help via family connections
Muserock
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Wish you all the best with that. I wish I could do Masters but I don't have enough work experience for the unis I wanted to apply for (hence I was hoping for job in the sector this year to boost my chances).
Thank you. You too. What we have to remember is that this isn't our fault and it won't last forever. We've just got to try and stay positive.
iodo345
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Same here, a lot of people from my uni have had help via family connections
Yeah that is definitely something common I have seen when I ask about careers advice I always get told it is who you know and to network.
Unfortunately I have found that it is common from the people I know that those who have jobs after graduation usually have some contacts from family particularly if they are doing law or finance. These are the only ones I know who have graduated and are in solid employment living in london or earning 30k or more.

The rest of them had to work hard forming connections on linked in and securing interviews but have now lost their jobs due to the pandemic.

Currently I am struggling to even get part time work lol - not helped out by the fact I got a 2.2 but I am trying not to be too discouraged.

What area are you looking to go into?
Or are you still undecided.
anonymous_7899
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muserock)
Thank you. You too. What we have to remember is that this isn't our fault and it won't last forever. We've just got to try and stay positive.
Yes! Hopefully it all works out in the end 🙏
anonymous_7899
Rep:
?
Yeah that is definitely something common I have seen when I ask about careers advice I always get told it is who you know and to network.
Unfortunately I have found that it is common from the people I know that those who have jobs after graduation usually have some contacts from family particularly if they are doing law or finance. These are the only ones I know who have graduated and are in solid employment living in london or earning 30k or more.

The rest of them had to work hard forming connections on linked in and securing interviews but have now lost their jobs due to the pandemic.

Currently I am struggling to even get part time work lol - not helped out by the fact I got a 2.2 but I am trying not to be too discouraged.

What area are you looking to go into?
Or are you still undecided.
Tell me about it, it's so annoying!

And I wouldn't be discouraged about having a 2.2, when I was applying for jobs I saw a lot of them were accepting those with 2.2s. Have you got any work experience? I'm the same as you, can't even get any part time work and a lot of summer internships were cancelled.

I'm looking for anything in the Economics/Finance/Accountancy/Statistics areas since I'd eventually want to postgraduate studies one day but I actually need some related work experience to get into the unis I want. How about you?
I Closed My Eyes
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Entry level economist jobs, finance jobs, accountancy, etc. I got pretty close with an interview a couple months ago (which was a virtual assessment centre due to the circumstances), but it had a report, exam and presentation which I had been struggling to prepare for since I could barely study for uni exams at home and really needed a library. But what can I do, it's just a bit unfortunate.

Oh no! What was the job you lost? And do you mind me asking what subject you studied.
Have you tried looking at civil service? There are some interesting jobs that don't require much experience that graduates can apply to, such as policy advisor, analyst, economist etc. Worth looking and giving it a try

I was working working in customer experience since I dropped out of my masters, got offer from graduate schemes as a finance analyst (an airline company) that was supposed to start in June, but my offer got withdrawn and the role postponed till September 2021... but its very unlikely the role will exist in the company.
anonymous_7899
Rep:
?
(Original post by I Closed My Eyes)
Have you tried looking at civil service? There are some interesting jobs that don't require much experience that graduates can apply to, such as policy advisor, analyst, economist etc. Worth looking and giving it a try

I was working working in customer experience since I dropped out of my masters, got offer from graduate schemes as a finance analyst (an airline company) that was supposed to start in June, but my offer got withdrawn and the role postponed till September 2021... but its very unlikely the role will exist in the company.
Yeah I did, that was the one I had the assessment centre for (the position was assistant economist for the government economic service) and I completely messed it up due to not being able to prepare for it (due to problems in personal life, don't want to bore you with the details). I haven't heard much about the policy advisor or analyst roles, I'll look into them. Thanks!

Ah, what a shame! That's really harsh for them to postpone it until next year but understandable I guess. Hopefully you do manage to find something well before then. Are you still looking for similar roles in finance?
iodo345
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Tell me about it, it's so annoying!

And I wouldn't be discouraged about having a 2.2, when I was applying for jobs I saw a lot of them were accepting those with 2.2s. Have you got any work experience? I'm the same as you, can't even get any part time work and a lot of summer internships were cancelled.

I'm looking for anything in the Economics/Finance/Accountancy/Statistics areas since I'd eventually want to postgraduate studies one day but I actually need some related work experience to get into the unis I want. How about you?
Sorry for the late reply forgot about this.
Just contacted my careers service to look over my cv and find any suitable work placements as I have yet to receive any response or reply.
I see employers asking for a 2.2 minimum but I think given the economy it can be easy to be rejected or filtered out due to the number of applicants with higher classifications.

I am looking for part time work and have signed on to universal credit atm. Had a hospitality part time job at uni and have been told to use that in an interview to explain my skills I acquired.

Someone I know who graduated two years ago with a year in a graduate job before losing due to the coronavirus also got rejected after a second interview so things aren't looking to good atm. Really hope it picks up soon after the lockdown.

Didn't plan on doing postgraduate although I know a lot who do as my degree is psychology.

Good luck with the job search hope you find something a 1st from a russell group sounds good tbh.
anonymous_7899
Rep:
?
Sorry for the late reply forgot about this.
Just contacted my careers service to look over my cv and find any suitable work placements as I have yet to receive any response or reply.
I see employers asking for a 2.2 minimum but I think given the economy it can be easy to be rejected or filtered out due to the number of applicants with higher classifications.

I am looking for part time work and have signed on to universal credit atm. Had a hospitality part time job at uni and have been told to use that in an interview to explain my skills I acquired.

Someone I know who graduated two years ago with a year in a graduate job before losing due to the coronavirus also got rejected after a second interview so things aren't looking to good atm. Really hope it picks up soon after the lockdown.

Didn't plan on doing postgraduate although I know a lot who do as my degree is psychology.

Good luck with the job search hope you find something a 1st from a russell group sounds good tbh.
Ah, I get why you're worried but at least you have some experience.

How were your A level grades, have you ever considered part time tutoring in the mean time (at an actual company or self-employed if money was paramount)? I did that during uni and it really gave me a lot of transferrable skills (and the company I worked for didn't really care about how I was doing with my degree or my prior work experience).

And same, I really hope the job market picks up after the pandemic. I know people who had graduate schemes confirmed a year ago after they completed their summer internships and they've lost them now.

Good luck to you too!
iodo345
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ah, I get why you're worried but at least you have some experience.

How were your A level grades, have you ever considered part time tutoring in the mean time (at an actual company or self-employed if money was paramount)? I did that during uni and it really gave me a lot of transferrable skills (and the company I worked for didn't really care about how I was doing with my degree or my prior work experience).

And same, I really hope the job market picks up after the pandemic. I know people who had graduate schemes confirmed a year ago after they completed their summer internships and they've lost them now.

Good luck to you too!
I actually might consider this. I got aab in my a levels in 2016 in English language, psychology and biology respectively. I can't remember the content though and doubt I would be any good.

I might try applying for part time work but haven't heard anything back yet so tutoring might be an option if I am qualified enough.

Is there any companies you know that you recommend?

Thanks
anonymous_7899
Rep:
?
I actually might consider this. I got aab in my a levels in 2016 in English language, psychology and biology respectively. I can't remember the content though and doubt I would be any good.

I might try applying for part time work but haven't heard anything back yet so tutoring might be an option if I am qualified enough.

Is there any companies you know that you recommend?

Thanks
If you're in London there are lots of tuition centres that are always hiring if you just go in and drop off your CV (though not so sure how this is working now). There's a really good chain of tuition centres called Explore Learning (https://www.explorelearning.co.uk/ca...rt-time-tutor/) and I think it's mainly for students aged 4-14 and I think now they're letting tutors do online lessons (for obvious reasons) so I'd definitely check them out too.

If you don't mind tutoring voluntarily and care more about the experience, TeamUp (https://teamup.org.uk) is a great charity (it's working with children from disadvantaged primary and secondary schools who don't have the best resources). They give you training at an induction day (although I joined a few weeks into the beginning of term so I didn't get to go to that) and you have to pass the interview and safeguarding tests (both of which aren't difficult). I did get paid for a few sessions as a cover tutor and they paid for my travel expenses. Although I pretty much did tutor for free, this is the tutoring job which gave me the most skills and it genuinely did feel more rewarding than at a tuition centre.

Looking at your A levels and the degree subject you studied, I'd say you could at least easily tutor English. Possibly Maths too since most of them only require pre-GCSE content.
route255
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yeah its hard , i was successful in securing a place on grad scheme. Worked applying , through the process and doing uni work. Got cancelled, they may consider me for next September but not sure how two intakes will work out.

There is positions in my field but as i never done placement i dont have any experience apart from some more pratical aspects of uni. The positions require experience, not sure if i should apply to these, i have been asking companies if there is any work experience going.

Just hoping i get something , i dont want to risk getting stuck in the retail rut again.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year will take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (85)
31.72%
Less motivated (183)
68.28%

Watched Threads