Help! My uni loan isn’t going to fully cover my Accommodation for the first two terms

Watch
Ivyblue1
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’ve been granted just under £9k for a uni maintenance loan my accommodation is £7.5k for the year. I’ve spoken to Student Finance (SF) and they can’t help. I’m short for the first two terms I’m waiting to hear from the finance office at the uni to see if they can offer any help. I’m currently in a job that I’m leaving so the money I get from that will pay for car insurance etc for that month. But I’ll have very little left over I’m applying for jobs in the area of the uni but still waiting. I’m short for the first two terms but have £2k at the end of the uni semester any advice? (I can’t ask my parents)
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ivyblue1)
I’ve been granted just under £9k for a uni maintenance loan my accommodation is £7.5k for the year. I’ve spoken to Student Finance (SF) and they can’t help. I’m short for the first two terms I’m waiting to hear from the finance office at the uni to see if they can offer any help. I’m currently in a job that I’m leaving so the money I get from that will pay for car insurance etc for that month. But I’ll have very little left over I’m applying for jobs in the area of the uni but still waiting. I’m short for the first two terms but have £2k at the end of the uni semester any advice? (I can’t ask my parents)
You need to find somewhere cheaper asap (is it a London/ southern uni as that amount is extortionate otherwise?) and look at selling your car.
Mickeyg4
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Get cheaper uni accommodation and make cutbacks e.g. getting rid of the car
Ivyblue1
Rep:
?
I can't sell my car I need to actually get around and travel to family thanks though and it's the only uni that does this specific course. (Cotswolds)
(Original post by claireestelle)
You need to find somewhere cheaper asap (is it a London/ southern uni as that amount is extortionate otherwise?) and look at selling your car.
Ivyblue1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mickeyg4)
Get cheaper uni accommodation and make cutbacks e.g. getting rid of the car
I don't actually spend a lot my cut backs will be moving back in with parents while at uni (no full rent/electric etc.)
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Going to have to take steps to live within your means I suspect, If your uni has a discretionary fund you could apply, but you'll need justification/proof. Your rent is sky high in any case, you simply can't afford to stay there.
Clubcard
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Jeez...find a cheap room to rent out.
JOSH4598
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
A £9k loan is incredibly high - I don't understand how that isn't enough. A £7.5k room must also be one of the most expensive ones (I'm guessing premium en-suite?). Surely if it isn't enough, get a cheaper room.

Also having a car isn't a necessity. Local buses can take you round your university town. National Express buses can take you back to your home town when/if you go home. You say you're moving back in with your parents, surely they could drive you home or at least pick you up from the bus station when you travel home. Very few students have a car, generally because it's an expensive asset to run and there's little need for it at university.
Ivyblue1
Rep:
?
(Original post by JOSH4598)
A £9k loan is incredibly high - I don't understand how that isn't enough. A £7.5k room must also be one of the most expensive ones (I'm guessing premium en-suite?). Surely if it isn't enough, get a cheaper room.

Also having a car isn't a necessity. Local buses can take you round your university town. National Express buses can take you back to your home town when/if you go home. You say you're moving back in with your parents, surely they could drive you home or at least pick you up from the bus station when you travel home. Very few students have a car, generally because it's an expensive asset to run and there's little need for it at university.
It was an option of Half board or Full board I'm on a waiting list for self catered but was told don't get your hopes up (we can't all get our first choice) I went for the cheapest this is if Student Finance could move around some of the money I'm getting it'd be perfect but they can't. Anyway I'm looking for ideas to get some extra money in the mean time without getting a job before I go as I'll have two weeks between.finishing my current job and starting uni. my parents currently live 80miles away from the uni. Any job that I'm getting while at uni that goes along side my course has an average travel distance of 20miles in the middle of nowhere so getting rid of my car isn't an option and public transport will be none existent.
Euphoria101
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Are you eligible for bursaries?
ArabellaMarie8
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Can you find somewhere cheaper to live? Private house off campus?
Aaryn
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You're really complaining about receiving a maintenance loan that's just under £9000 a year? Sell the car to make some money back, and you won't have to fork out for car insurance either, and use public transport.

Some of us are receiving under £4000 a year and without the luxury of a car - just think about that.
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Aaryn)
You're really complaining about receiving a maintenance loan that's just under £9000 a year? Sell the car to make some money back, and you won't have to fork out for car insurance either, and use public transport.

Some of us are receiving under £4000 a year and without the luxury of a car - just think about that.
Exactly
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Aaryn)

To say nothing of the poor sods that need to graft all week long and could only dream of renting a £650 a month pad and keeping a car on the road (Mine is £350, and i consider myself in a v lucky position compared to many students)

My uni ended up letting me quit my part time job and they gave me the wage out the discretionary fund, but I had to prove it, if i'd just rocked in saying 'ya it's day 1 and i'm skint after signing a £7500 rent deal' they'd laugh me out the office, down the road, and into the car I can't afford
Last edited by StriderHort; 1 month ago
screweverything
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
£7.5k is insane for accommodation.
markova21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Which area is your uni in? I'd look at flats to let on Property Pal in that area.
iElvendork
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If it's uni owned accommodation then surely the instalments for the room shouldn't be more than what you'd get in student finance for that term
I'd get like £2700 in finance for that term and my instalment would only be £1500 for that term and the payment day would always be after finance was paid.
markova21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Contact other students at or going to your uni on their Facebook page, and see if anyone has a cheap room, or knows of someone else who has.
2500_2
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ivyblue1)
I don't understand the £2k at the end of the uni semester part - do you mean you will have £2k once you've paid for accommodation and board? If so, that's still more than £40 a week. Can you not make that enough?
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
See for 7.5k otherwise flushable rent? I'd likely just trade the car for a damn motorhome, at least you can sell that back on after a student year and don't need to obey anywhere near as many stupid rules
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (50)
21.83%
No (179)
78.17%

Watched Threads