Kekler
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Starling Bank vs a normal student bank account?After hearing about the quality which Starling Bank offers I am considering making an account but branches are minimal. I already have a Revolve account with RBS and I need to transfer the account to a student one, with added benefits.Is Starling better for students or should you stay with an in-person bank?
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Kekler)
Starling Bank vs a normal student bank account?After hearing about the quality which Starling Bank offers I am considering making an account but branches are minimal. I already have a Revolve account with RBS and I need to transfer the account to a student one, with added benefits.Is Starling better for students or should you stay with an in-person bank?
personally I'd always like the option there to speak to someone in person if someone went wrong.
Jack22031994
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Look at the offers banks have - for example Santander offer a free four year railcard with their Student Bank account.
Helloworld_95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Student accounts are better for students as they give more benefits, whereas Starling accounts are just normal bank accounts. You can get both though, e.g. I use my student account as my main bank account but I have a starling account which I use for any informal payments and for anything involving foreign transactions.

Starling gives you a lot of control compared to normal bank accounts so there's a much lower risk of anything going wrong, plus they apparently have stellar customer service in the event that you can't do something through the app.

If you want to be complicated and get the optimum usage, I'd upgrade your account to a student one and then pay your student loan into that which you'll then use to pay your rent. Keep that card at home where it's safe. Then put the rest of the money in your Starling account which you use for every other transaction, in the event you lose your starling card you'll know it immediately, be able to shut down your card immediately, and still be able to spend money in a near to normal way through the app.
thegalaxy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
There's nothing stopping you having both (typically student accounts will say they need your student loan paid into their account though). You'd also get an overdraft with a student account with a high street bank, which you wouldn't get/would be a lot smaller if you just had a Starling or similar account.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (544)
33.87%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (662)
41.22%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (327)
20.36%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (73)
4.55%

Watched Threads