tptp123
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Has anyone done Edexcel psychology a level and got a good grade?? I need to go from a D to a B but there are barely any resources online and all textbooks are way too detailed. some tips would also be helpful, people say memories all possible essay questions but how??
Dechante
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hi, I did edexcel psychology last year and managed to get an A grade in the end (few marks off a A*) and was failing first year so ik how you feel. You're right in there being hardly any resources. Only 4000 people take Edexcel psychology compared to 16000 of students doing AQA. I'm assuming you're in year 12?? so I'm going to list some of the things I did to get that grade:
- I'm gonna be honest and say I never used a textbook for psychology unless the teacher set us work to look in there which was only like three times
- I preferred just to use my notes
- When revising don't just flick through your notes and apply what you have learnt e.g writing it down until you know it
- I preferred using quizlet compared to flashcards for case studies such as Milgram as I would write a question saying ''How many people took part in this study?'' or ''What's the generalisability of Milgram like?''
- I wrote out every single possible question I could think of whether it was 2 marks, 4 marks, 8 marks or 20 marks and would see what I knew and what I didn't
- Learn how to apply A01, A02 and A03 and how it's split in between each kind of question. When you get into year 13 you'll have 12, 16 and 20 mark questions and it's so so important you know how to answer them
- Make sure you're revising from the start of September bc I started in February and it hit me like a ton of bricks
- Make sure you know your classical and contemporary studies because in the exam it doesn't always tell you the name of the study. Half of my psychology class got 0 marks on an 8 marker bc they wrote about the wrong study and didn't know it was Loftus and Palmer as the question doesn't specify that
- Always ask you teacher for help. If you write a question ask her to go over it with you and go ''how can I get from 4 out of 8 to 8 out of 8?'
- Learn the maths of psychology. Not only is it in paper 1 or 2 but in paper 3 there's a whole section based on maths questions and every single mark matters
- defo do past paper questions or write your own though. I know I said this but it's so so important and it's what separates the E grade students from the A grade students
- Finally, I never really used these but if you like videos or are having a lazy day this is a edexcel psychology teacher
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpj...yBUxgI83ZC7-fg

Best of luck!
tptp123
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by Dechante)
Hi, I did edexcel psychology last year and managed to get an A grade in the end (few marks off a A*) and was failing first year so ik how you feel. You're right in there being hardly any resources. Only 4000 people take Edexcel psychology compared to 16000 of students doing AQA. I'm assuming you're in year 12?? so I'm going to list some of the things I did to get that grade:
- I'm gonna be honest and say I never used a textbook for psychology unless the teacher set us work to look in there which was only like three times
- I preferred just to use my notes
- When revising don't just flick through your notes and apply what you have learnt e.g writing it down until you know it
- I preferred using quizlet compared to flashcards for case studies such as Milgram as I would write a question saying ''How many people took part in this study?'' or ''What's the generalisability of Milgram like?''
- I wrote out every single possible question I could think of whether it was 2 marks, 4 marks, 8 marks or 20 marks and would see what I knew and what I didn't
- Learn how to apply A01, A02 and A03 and how it's split in between each kind of question. When you get into year 13 you'll have 12, 16 and 20 mark questions and it's so so important you know how to answer them
- Make sure you're revising from the start of September bc I started in February and it hit me like a ton of bricks
- Make sure you know your classical and contemporary studies because in the exam it doesn't always tell you the name of the study. Half of my psychology class got 0 marks on an 8 marker bc they wrote about the wrong study and didn't know it was Loftus and Palmer as the question doesn't specify that
- Always ask you teacher for help. If you write a question ask her to go over it with you and go ''how can I get from 4 out of 8 to 8 out of 8?'
- Learn the maths of psychology. Not only is it in paper 1 or 2 but in paper 3 there's a whole section based on maths questions and every single mark matters
- defo do past paper questions or write your own though. I know I said this but it's so so important and it's what separates the E grade students from the A grade students
- Finally, I never really used these but if you like videos or are having a lazy day this is a edexcel psychology teacher
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpj...yBUxgI83ZC7-fg

Best of luck!
Really helpful! Thank you so much
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (49)
39.2%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (22)
17.6%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (6)
4.8%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (11)
8.8%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (12)
9.6%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (12)
9.6%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
10.4%

Watched Threads