The Student Room Group

Biomed master after IBMS

Hi! I am currently studying A Level and I would like to study Biomed in uk uni. However, I'm not sure if I should apply to IBMS or RBS. I don't know if I want a job at NHS or not, and overall I don't see myself studying BSc Healthcare sciences as well bc its too narrowed. My current plan is to study biomed with IBMS first, then if I wish to get another career opportunity rather than biomed scientist, Im going to study Master Biomed at a better uni. May I ask if that is possible? If yes, is it a better choice than studying a RBS accredited course?
Reply 1
i meant rsb not rbs haha
Original post by ypy789
Hi! I am currently studying A Level and I would like to study Biomed in uk uni. However, I'm not sure if I should apply to IBMS or RBS. I don't know if I want a job at NHS or not, and overall I don't see myself studying BSc Healthcare sciences as well bc its too narrowed. My current plan is to study biomed with IBMS first, then if I wish to get another career opportunity rather than biomed scientist, Im going to study Master Biomed at a better uni. May I ask if that is possible? If yes, is it a better choice than studying a RBS accredited course?

Absolutely, that is a good plan. Many students doing Biomed courses then do MSc. Good to have the IBMS accreditation.
As for the RBS accreditation, having it or not doesn't make any difference at all (for non-NHS professions it is not required and for the NHS it is not useful).
RSB accreditiation is pretty pointless.

You state that BSc Healthcare Science is to narrow. That's quite funny. It meets the criteria for IBMS accreditation. To do that it has to cover certain content. It's therefore no more narrow or wide than BSc Biomedical Science. People I studied with on the course went on to do Graduate Entry Medicine, Physician's Associate and other further education as well as being Biomedical Scientists. I would say however, if you don't want to be a NHS Biomedical Scientist, please don't waste a space on HCS.

Quick Reply

Latest