The Student Room Group
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

Sheffield Hallam University Electronic and Electrical Engineering

I am considering EEE at SHU as an option for clearing in case i do not get the required grades and was wondering if any current students either in this subject or just at the university could help me with these questions about university:
What are the facilities like and is there a good amount of practical work involved?
Do you have access to any "maker-spaces"?
How good are lecturers and how has teaching been during the lockdown?
What is your opinion of the SU and is it active?
Thanks in advance
Original post by togs11
I am considering EEE at SHU as an option for clearing in case i do not get the required grades and was wondering if any current students either in this subject or just at the university could help me with these questions about university:
What are the facilities like and is there a good amount of practical work involved?
Thanks in advance

Hi @togs11, you can post in our applicant chat thread to find any fellow applicants who may have been to an open day and received answers to these questions themselves. You can find out more about the clearing process, read out FAQs and hear advice from clearing students on our clearing hub! Our subject experts will be online between 11am-2pm on both 15th August and 18th August for our clearing open days, so they will be able to answer some of your questions about the course, you can also watch our in-depth course talks which give a good overview of how and where you will study. You can also view our 3D Engineering facilities tour and chat to our current students about student life at Hallam on our chat platform, some students will be live this Thursday and Friday 10am-12pm. :smile:

- Ella
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Sheffield Hallam University
Hi @togs11, you can post in our applicant chat thread to find any fellow applicants who may have been to an open day and received answers to these questions themselves. You can find out more about the clearing process, read out FAQs and hear advice from clearing students on our clearing hub! Our subject experts will be online between 11am-2pm on both 15th August and 18th August for our clearing open days, so they will be able to answer some of your questions about the course, you can also watch our in-depth course talks which give a good overview of how and where you will study. You can also view our 3D Engineering facilities tour and chat to our current students about student life at Hallam on our chat platform, some students will be live this Thursday and Friday 10am-12pm. :smile:

- Ella

Thank you very much for your help, it is most appreciated.

Regards, Togs
Original post by togs11
Thanks in advance

Hi @togs11

I’ve just finished studying Law at SHU, and in my opinion, there are really good facilities, for example for Law we have a law clinic where students are able to do their practical work.

Additionally, I was able to undertake a placement for one of my third- year modules, where I went to a law firm and got real life work experience. So, I would say the university does provide the opportunity to do practical work.

Unfortunately, I don’t know much about Maker spacers so that would be something you could ask on the open day.
I have found the lecturers and tutors to be really helpful in general and during the lockdown. When lockdown started all our lectures and seminars were recorded and put on blackboard, so we had access to them. Regular zoom seminars, and drop ins were also held to answer any student queries.

There are a few events held in the SU during freshers, such as societies and volunteering fairs, where you can find about what the SU offers, and join any societies you might be interested in. The SU building also has a bar and eating space which regularly runs bingo nights and other events for students. I only attended a few events at the SU and when I did has a positive experience of them, however I would definitely recommend joining societies as they often host socials and other events where you can meet new people.

I hope this helps and let me know if you have any further questions 😊

Zaira 😊
Hi @togs11,

I hope our current student Zaira has given you a good insight! Just to let you know although there will be lots to do in our Welcome Week with a mix of online and on campus events where possible. There won't be such an extensive freshers fair at the Student's Union this year but there will still be opportunities to get involved and join societies. You can find out more about studying at Sheffield Hallam in September on our website. :smile:

- Ella

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending