Northumbria University Electronic and Electrical Engineering

Watch
togs11
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
I am considering EEE at Northumbria University as an option for clearing in case I do not get the required grades and was wondering if any current students either in this subject or just at the university could help me with these questions about university:
What are the facilities like and is there a good amount of practical work involved?
Do you have access to any "maker-spaces"?
How good are lecturers and how has teaching been during the lockdown?
What is your opinion of the SU and is it active?
Thanks in advance
Northumbria University UG Rep
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by togs11)
I am considering EEE at Northumbria University as an option for clearing in case I do not get the required grades and was wondering if any current students either in this subject or just at the university could help me with these questions about university:
What are the facilities like and is there a good amount of practical work involved?
Do you have access to any "maker-spaces"?
How good are lecturers and how has teaching been during the lockdown?
What is your opinion of the SU and is it active?
Thanks in advance
Hi togs11

It's great to hear that you're considering us through clearing! I studied at Northumbria for 4 years, graduating last year, so can definitely give you some information about the uni

There has been a lot of investment into the facilities in recent years, so the library now has a completely new floor and areas for collaborative work and plenty of solo work spaces. Having been on a business programme, unfortunately I can't help too much on the specific elements of the course. But I have been in Ellison building where engineering programmes are based and can say that the facilities in there were really impressive!

You can find the academics for this programme by clicking here, I think you would also find it beneficial to view our I AM NU hub which explains how Northumbria are going to make sure you still have a great learning experience, whilst staying safe

Finally, in terms of the SU, I can definitely confirm that it is active! It was one of my favourite parts of Northumbria when I was a student, there is something happening every day of the week in Habita (the SU bar), and the SABB team are really engaging and supportive if you need them.

Would you be looking to stay in halls in your first year? I also have experience of that so can help if needed!

Emily
togs11
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
(Original post by Northumbria University UG Rep)
Hi togs11

It's great to hear that you're considering us through clearing! I studied at Northumbria for 4 years, graduating last year, so can definitely give you some information about the uni

There has been a lot of investment into the facilities in recent years, so the library now has a completely new floor and areas for collaborative work and plenty of solo work spaces. Having been on a business programme, unfortunately I can't help too much on the specific elements of the course. But I have been in Ellison building where engineering programmes are based and can say that the facilities in there were really impressive!

You can find the academics for this programme by clicking here, I think you would also find it beneficial to view our I AM NU hub which explains how Northumbria are going to make sure you still have a great learning experience, whilst staying safe

Finally, in terms of the SU, I can definitely confirm that it is active! It was one of my favourite parts of Northumbria when I was a student, there is something happening every day of the week in Habita (the SU bar), and the SABB team are really engaging and supportive if you need them.

Would you be looking to stay in halls in your first year? I also have experience of that so can help if needed!

Emily
Hello Emily,

Thank you very much for your insight, I appreciate it.

With regards to halls, I indeed would be staying in halls. Is there any that are (not) recommended? Also I have heard that the cost of living is much cheaper than the rest of the UK. Is that true?

Regards, Togs
Northumbria University UG Rep
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by togs11)
Hello Emily,

Thank you very much for your insight, I appreciate it.

With regards to halls, I indeed would be staying in halls. Is there any that are (not) recommended? Also I have heard that the cost of living is much cheaper than the rest of the UK. Is that true?

Regards, Togs
You're welcome

Some of the older halls such as Claude Gibb or Lovaine may not seem as attractive as the newer halls, but they're a lot cheaper per week and have catered options so they're still a good option. All of Northumbria's accommodation is walking distance to campus, even Trinity Square which is based in Gateshead is walk-able (and you get a Nandos, Tesco and Vue on site!).

Coming from Manchester, I can say that it is much cheaper living in Newcastle! Even though it's a 'big' city centre in terms of popularity, it's actually very small compared to others. Meaning you save a lot of money on travel, as you can walk into the centre, to the supermarkets and the student areas of Heaton and Jesmond Also the student nights out in Newcastle are very cheap, it's amazing how many drinks you can get in a £8 round!

Emily
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (85)
26.23%
England (109)
33.64%
Belgium (27)
8.33%
Germany (38)
11.73%
Spain (6)
1.85%