ninja24
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
What does problem identification specifically mean? I'm doing a sudoku game. I can't seem to think of any problems correlating with it? Any ideas would really help..
lonelybear
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by ninja24)
What does problem identification specifically mean? I'm doing a sudoku game. I can't seem to think of any problems correlating with it? Any ideas would really help..
it pretty much means what issues do current sudoku games have (in relation to your target audience/stakeholders (use the terminology in your handbook- KEY!!!!)), and how your version would tackle this. Basically, how is your game special- what is it about the game you're making that is different to what is out there? This could be the platform it runs on, being available as an app and website, aesthetics etc. You need to know your target audience, and what THEY want- very, very important, so conduct interviews/ questionnaires etc. Then link it to computational solutions, e.g. abstraction and how you'd apply it - make sure to define them! I don't know your exam board, but this might help: https://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/514655...set-a-high.pdf
ninja24
Rep:
?
(Original post by lonelybear)
it pretty much means what issues do current sudoku games have (in relation to your target audience/stakeholders (use the terminology in your handbook- KEY!!!!)), and how your version would tackle this. Basically, how is your game special- what is it about the game you're making that is different to what is out there? This could be the platform it runs on, being available as an app and website, aesthetics etc. You need to know your target audience, and what THEY want- very, very important, so conduct interviews/ questionnaires etc. Then link it to computational solutions, e.g. abstraction and how you'd apply it - make sure to define them! I don't know your exam board, but this might help: https://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/514655...set-a-high.pdf
Thank you so much!! You have no idea how much you've saved me. I'll definitely take that into account. I was trying to get my head around it. Even emailed my teachers and no one replied so I was having a slight panic session LOL. I Understand it a whole much more better now.
ninja24
Rep:
?
Hi sorry to be annoying. How can I link my problem to computational methods? Could you give me an example please? Thank you. For sudoku.
Last edited by ninja24; 2 months ago
lonelybear
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by ninja24)
Hi sorry to be annoying. How can I link my problem to computational methods? Could you give me an example please? Thank you. For sudoku.
Not annoying at all Check this out: https://arkglobe.org/sites/default/f...0Phase%20V.pdf
The pdf includes backtracking as a computational method (though, I would argue that it is more of a technique, but it's an AS/A-Level doc so it's most likely a method) and links it to sudoku! Also, I sent a link before, the OCR one. Even if it's not your exam board, USE IT!!!! It's an example coursework that has high marks- I think it's an A/A* grade coursework?

*Possibly some unnecessary advice* One thing I forgot to mention was referencing. This is applicable to your whole project. If you give a definition on anything, e.g. computational methods, make sure to reference it using the Harvard referencing system (google it! It's the most used referencing system used at university and beyond). Also, having a possible literature review- any research papers/ articles that link to sudoku games and what people liked/didn't like about them and how they were made. It might be useful and shows in-depth research.

I finished my computer science A-level a year ago, so there's much that I've forgotten. You mentioned emailing teachers- I suggest pestering them a bit if they aren't the type to help much. If you need any help with any other parts of the project write up, just post your questions here and I'll (hopefully others too!) try to help to the best of my ability
ninja24
Rep:
?
Not annoying at all Check this out: https://arkglobe.org/sites/default/f...0Phase%20V.pdf
The pdf includes backtracking as a computational method (though, I would argue that it is more of a technique, but it's an AS/A-Level doc so it's most likely a method) and links it to sudoku! Also, I sent a link before, the OCR one. Even if it's not your exam board, USE IT!!!! It's an example coursework that has high marks- I think it's an A/A* grade coursework?

*Possibly some unnecessary advice* One thing I forgot to mention was referencing. This is applicable to your whole project. If you give a definition on anything, e.g. computational methods, make sure to reference it using the Harvard referencing system (google it! It's the most used referencing system used at university and beyond). Also, having a possible literature review- any research papers/ articles that link to sudoku games and what people liked/didn't like about them and how they were made. It might be useful and shows in-depth research.

I finished my computer science A-level a year ago, so there's much that I've forgotten. You mentioned emailing teachers- I suggest pestering them a bit if they aren't the type to help much. If you need any help with any other parts of the project write up, just post your questions here and I'll (hopefully others too!) try to help to the best of my ability
You have no idea how much you've just saved me. Thank you so so so much. I really appreciate it man If I do need any more help ill be sure to ask! So can I use backtracking as a solution to an problem ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (173)
14.53%
I'm not sure (55)
4.62%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (348)
29.22%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.94%
I'm not a current university student (580)
48.7%

Watched Threads