The Student Room Group

solicitor timeline

I'm a law student going into my second year of university in September. I want to go down the solicitor route and i'm aware this year is very important due to vac schemes and training contract applications but i'm a bit confused as to what year i'm applying for. my degree is 3 years so i'm due to graduate in 2022. i know firms recruit 2 years in advance but what about the time it'll take to complete the LPC? i know most firms will put you on an accelerated course so the LPC is only 6/7 months but if i was to finish my degree in say June 2022, would i go straight into my LPC by like July to finish it by jan 2023 at the latest? or does the LPC run from like September or January so i would still have a 'summer holiday' after graduating?
and if i'm doing the LPC surely i wouldn't be actually starting the training contract until 2023 if that makes sense? so am i right in applying for 2022 TC's or should i be applying for 2023 TC's? or does the 2022 just mean the year the firm starts sponsoring you (since they'll be paying for the LPC?)

im aware of the process just cant picture how the timeline would go in my mind so if anyone could explain the timeline between graduating and beginning the LPC then the training contract. when would each process start for a student going into second year this year

i hope this makes sense haha
Reply 1
Original post by marybayo
I'm a law student going into my second year of university in September. I want to go down the solicitor route and i'm aware this year is very important due to vac schemes and training contract applications but i'm a bit confused as to what year i'm applying for. my degree is 3 years so i'm due to graduate in 2022. i know firms recruit 2 years in advance but what about the time it'll take to complete the LPC? i know most firms will put you on an accelerated course so the LPC is only 6/7 months but if i was to finish my degree in say June 2022, would i go straight into my LPC by like July to finish it by jan 2023 at the latest? or does the LPC run from like September or January so i would still have a 'summer holiday' after graduating?
and if i'm doing the LPC surely i wouldn't be actually starting the training contract until 2023 if that makes sense? so am i right in applying for 2022 TC's or should i be applying for 2023 TC's? or does the 2022 just mean the year the firm starts sponsoring you (since they'll be paying for the LPC?)

im aware of the process just cant picture how the timeline would go in my mind so if anyone could explain the timeline between graduating and beginning the LPC then the training contract. when would each process start for a student going into second year this year

Hi previous LPC student here , basically if you are doing LPC full time it runs roughly for 1 academic uni year and if completing it part time 2 years however depending on whether you obtain a training contract or not some firms will allow you to complete the LPC and a training contract simultaneously. Do bear in mind though that the LPC is more demanding than undergrad and if you will be using government funding(provided you have not secured a training contract) you will also be expected to complete a masters degree simultaneously.

I do definitely recommend doing a vacation scheme as they can lead to training contracts, however if you cannot get a vacation scheme its definitely worth approaching different law firms in your chosen area of law to see if they offer maybe a week or two's worth of work experience. Bear in mind though that not being able to secure a vacation scheme/training contract is definitely not the end of the world. There's definitely lots of routes to your ultimate goal

I hope this helps
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2

This is tough to answer, because if everything goes to plan, you will likely not be sitting the LPC. The SQE will be in place by that time and i expect that the majority of firms will prefer trainees to take this route, but the answer to your specific question is, in most cases, it's a September start for the LPC.

My best advice is one step at a time. Focus on the things you can control at the moment: grades, EC, work experience and your applications. When you obtain a TC, your own firm will be in a position to answer these questions best.
Reply 3
Original post by RV3112
This is tough to answer, because if everything goes to plan, you will likely not be sitting the LPC. The SQE will be in place by that time and i expect that the majority of firms will prefer trainees to take this route, but the answer to your specific question is, in most cases, it's a September start for the LPC.

My best advice is one step at a time. Focus on the things you can control at the moment: grades, EC, work experience and your applications. When you obtain a TC, your own firm will be in a position to answer these questions best.

Thank you for the advice. As for the LPC there is going to be a 10 year transition period and in 2022 all firms( or at least the 15 or so I’m looking into provisionally) are still using the LPC Route. If it’s a September start for most LPC courses then that sort of answers my question so thank you! X
Reply 4
Thank you for the advice. As for the LPC there is going to be a 10 year transition period and in 2022 all firms( or at least the 15 or so I’m looking into provisionally) are still using the LPC Route. If it’s a September start for most LPC courses then that sort of answers my question so thank you! X

Yes, there is a long transition period for people who have already started the process. When the SQE launches, it will simply depend on each firms individual preferences as to the route for these particular trainees. If your firms have already clarified that the LPC is their preference, this helps remove the uncertainty. Good luck!
Reply 5
Original post by RV3112
Yes, there is a long transition period for people who have already started the process. When the SQE launches, it will simply depend on each firms individual preferences as to the route for these particular trainees. If your firms have already clarified that the LPC is their preference, this helps remove the uncertainty. Good luck!

Anyone who has started their legal education by the time it’s introduced, is able to do the LPC they just have to have finished it by 2032 before all students are required to do the SQE. My graduating Class will still be expected to do the LPC
Reply 6
No need to be rude. All I asked about was when in the year LPC courses started after a degree and then when in the year a training contract would start. I’m aware the LPC is changing to the SQE and future cohorts will be trained under that. But FOR ME that doesn’t affect me so I’m asking about how it works under the current system as that is the system I PERSONALLY will be trained under. That’s all. If I didn’t want responses I wouldn’t have asked
Reply 7
No need to be rude. All I asked about was when in the year LPC courses started after a degree and then when in the year a training contract would start. I’m aware the LPC is changing to the SQE and future cohorts will be trained under that. But FOR ME that doesn’t affect me so I’m asking about how it works under the current system as that is the system I PERSONALLY will be trained under. That’s all. If I didn’t want responses I wouldn’t have asked

It's worth noting OP, that this is actually an excellent point to consider as well (i overlooked this). Firms may have expressed a preference to you now, but it may also depend on Law School availability of the LPC when that time comes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending