The Student Room Group

What are the differences between Alevel psychology and history?

They seem really similar in terms of workload and content learning. I know history is more essay based but in both you learn evaluation skills and time management etc. They're both equally interesting so I'm not sure what to pick and I feel like they're equally time consuming
Original post by Plantsarelife
They seem really similar in terms of workload and content learning. I know history is more essay based but in both you learn evaluation skills and time management etc. They're both equally interesting so I'm not sure what to pick and I feel like they're equally time consuming

Think you will find they are quite different and the volume from History is near the highest of all A level subjects.
Maybe look at the specification for both and then decide which one you are most suited to.
I studied both and realistically they are very similar in terms of learning style - but I believe history has a higher content needing memorisation than psychology.

Both are mainly essay/long exam style questions and both require the use of retained information to create an answer.

The difference being history you are remembering events (not too difficult) but also the specific dates and psychology the studies and results (not too tricky) but also the scientists involved and specific dates as well as the types of study.

Personally I would choose whichever interests you the most as it is far easier to learn content and engage with a subject you find interesting than a slog with something you do not enjoy as much because it is perceived as easier.
Original post by TheWannabeFarmer
I studied both and realistically they are very similar in terms of learning style - but I believe history has a higher content needing memorisation than psychology.

Both are mainly essay/long exam style questions and both require the use of retained information to create an answer.

The difference being history you are remembering events (not too difficult) but also the specific dates and psychology the studies and results (not too tricky) but also the scientists involved and specific dates as well as the types of study.

Personally I would choose whichever interests you the most as it is far easier to learn content and engage with a subject you find interesting than a slog with something you do not enjoy as much because it is perceived as easier.

I find both really interesting so shall I take the more highly regarded one so history or the easier one so psychology?
Original post by Plantsarelife
I find both really interesting so shall I take the more highly regarded one so history or the easier one so psychology?

Surely it depends on what your plans are for the future?
I imagine applying for something related to Psychology or history without the subject at A level would not set a good impression.
Original post by TheWannabeFarmer
Surely it depends on what your plans are for the future?
I imagine applying for something related to Psychology or history without the subject at A level would not set a good impression.

I don't have a particular uni course in mind and I'd prefer an apprenticeship route which requires neither

Quick Reply

Latest