The Student Room Group

Why do vocational courses at college require really low grades

Why do vocational courses at college have really low grade requirements, are they for less able students?
This is a highly debated topic, but personally I wouldn’t say that vocational courses are for less able students. Vocational courses are usually FAR more practical than academic courses as they are preparing you for a particular vocation (ie. a certain job). The low grade requirements reflect the fact that the course is not focused so much on academia, but rather teaching you practical skills you actually need in life. I myself have gone down the academic route simply because it’s the only lead to the future job I want, but I have friends who have done/are doing vocational courses and they are in no way less able students, they’re just more practical-based than me. Hope this helps!
Depends, I went through the vocational route and largely talked my way in...but it means when transferred onto higher/BSc level i'm more competitive and able than many academic students as I've been held to higher standards (none of this flunking 1st year crap, I've had to excel under constant assessment every year to progress)

Pissed some of the academic schooly types off no end that I've never had to do A levels, left most of them in the dust :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending