dogdogdog
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am going to do a foundation year in art starting this September. For my A-levels I did psychology, fine art and graphics. Over the summer, I have realised I no longer feel confident that I could be successful in pursuing art as a career. I have become interested by the idea of pursuing a career related to computer science. I recently started learning lua by taking an online course, and already have some html knowledge. If I want to go to university for computer science, and am willing to put in as much work as I need to in order to make it happen, what would I need to do? Should I/would I be able to do A-level computer science?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Computer science is not a programming degree or software engineering degree. It also has the highest unemployment rate of any university subject in the UK.

What sort of career are you thinking of going into?
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by gregorydidier)
For computer science, maths is so important. Although computer science has the highest unemployment as pointed out already, that's because many old polytechnics offer it but do not offer other degrees such as mathematics. Have you got any maths experience?
That isn’t the reason for the high unemployment. The research has actually found that it is mainly due to the lack of practical experience and work placements available in academic courses.
2500_2
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by dogdogdog)
I am going to do a foundation year in art starting this September. For my A-levels I did psychology, fine art and graphics. Over the summer, I have realised I no longer feel confident that I could be successful in pursuing art as a career. I have become interested by the idea of pursuing a career related to computer science. I recently started learning lua by taking an online course, and already have some html knowledge. If I want to go to university for computer science, and am willing to put in as much work as I need to in order to make it happen, what would I need to do? Should I/would I be able to do A-level computer science?
Have you considered something like web design or game design?
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I wasn't aware of this research, I was basing my reply off of old research. Would you please provide a reference to your source? thank you
https://assets.publishing.service.go...loyability.pdf

No recommendations to improve the maths links/requirements I’m afraid.

Could you link me to your source research?
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I certainly can, the title of the paper is as follows with a link:
The effect of university attended on graduates’ labour market prospects: A field study of Great Britain
https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...72775716301145 .

I must admit this study was done for BSc not only on Computer Science and as such your (more in date government study) should be treated as a better source. My conclusion came from the implication of my study with that of the low employment prospects and that universities higher on the tables tend to have a greater focus on mathematics. Which would imply that by learning mathematics you have a higher chance of getting into a higher-ranked university and thus, a higher employment probability.
Computer science employment and economics employment markets are very different.

A good proportion of econ graduates aim at investment banking careers (where there’s a baked in preference for “prestige” in university attended - mainly due to job application filtering for tariff points).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university communicated any last minute changes?

Yes, and they were what I was expecting (9)
17.31%
Yes, and they were not what I was hoping for (14)
26.92%
Yes, and they don't change my view on attending uni (3)
5.77%
No, I haven't received any communication (26)
50%

Watched Threads