New musical instrument

Watch
GillisRobbieWGS
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I play the trombone at grade 6 level and I play lead guitar for my church worship group. I want to learn a new instrument and I have been considering either the flute, the trumpet or the saxophone.

If I was to buy one of these, what sort of price is reasonable that buys a good quality instrument?
Which is the easiest to learn given my previous musical experience?
Which is the easiest to transport?
Which one is the quietest?

Thanks in advance
bambi1425
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
flutes at a beginner level are good price at 100 second hand (like that's an extremely good price I was lucky to get)
it's the smallest and easiest to transport.
in an ensemble it can be hard to hear but it's by no means quiet as it's so high pitched.

given you play trombone the trumpet would be the easiest to pick up due to some similarity in how you breath and blow. saxophone uses a Reed (also think of which- sizes and key signatures can vary) and the flute is to do with the speed of air across the mouth piece (not into).
Dalectia
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
In my opinion, if you play the trombone, the best option is to try playing the saxophone or trumpet. The trumpet is more like a trombone, and the saxophone is more variable(?), don't know how to explain it. I'm playing sax for 4 years and I love this instrument.

The answers to your questions:
If I was to buy one of these, what sort of price is reasonable that buys a good quality instrument?
It depends on the instrument, of course. As for saxophones, the price for a really quality model will be quite high. My Yamaha YAS-280 is around 1400.
Which is the easiest to learn given my previous musical experience?
The easiest is trumpet, I guess.
Which is the easiest to transport?
The flute, of course.
Which one is the quietest?
If you are afraid that neighbors or relatives will swear over loud music, do not take a musical instrument. But seriously, the trumpet seems to be the quietest option. But my relatives have never complained I'm playing the sax too loud.

In my opinion, the best option is to learn to play saxophone if you have experience with trombone already. You can read more about beginner saxophones here.

Good luck!
Last edited by Dalectia; 3 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (44)
13.46%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (46)
14.07%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (119)
36.39%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (33)
10.09%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (67)
20.49%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
5.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise