The Student Room Group

How can I study A level as a Private candidate

I want to take A levels exam for uni but I'm from a different curriculum. I've checked A levels syllabus and I'm quite familiar with the topics. I want to take Biology, Chemistry, Math and Further Math. I need to know what books should I follow and whether books varies depending on the board I choose. I need some guidance on how to start. Currently I'm staying away from my home due to lockdown so I can't contact to anyone by person.
Original post by Akib Ehtessam
I want to take A levels exam for uni but I'm from a different curriculum. I've checked A levels syllabus and I'm quite familiar with the topics. I want to take Biology, Chemistry, Math and Further Math. I need to know what books should I follow and whether books varies depending on the board I choose. I need some guidance on how to start. Currently I'm staying away from my home due to lockdown so I can't contact to anyone by person.

you'd need to find a school/college to do the practical parts for biology and chemistry
Original post by Akib Ehtessam

As a private candidate I would recommend International A Levels, as the normal A Levels have practicals in Bio and Chem which are mandatory and I doubt you can do them privately. Check Edexcel and CIE for IAL.
Reply 3
Original post by the_queen
As a private candidate I would recommend International A Levels, as the normal A Levels have practicals in Bio and Chem which are mandatory and I doubt you can do them privately. Check Edexcel and CIE for IAL.

CIE also has practicals. I'm taking em this november
Original post by vyper47
CIE also has practicals. I'm taking em this november

CIE for International A levels? I know they have an alternative with exam instead of practicals. Should be checked.
Reply 5
CIE for International A levels? I know they have an alternative with exam instead of practicals. Should be checked.

The Edexcel one has alternatives. CIE afaik has no alternatives to practicals. I already registered for em, they have the paper 3 Advanced Practical Skills in Chem and Physics (among the ones I'm taking). Other than those I'm taking Math and FM

Of course I'm not omniscient. Please let me know if there's alternatives even in the CIE.......
Reply 6

Pearson IAL are not available in the UK. I'm not so sure about CAIE but if its possible then it will be at a truly tiny number of exam centres as they are an international exam board, not a domestic one.

Quick Reply

Latest